Seeking retro fulfillment...

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Mar 25, 2015.

1. adz

adz Member

When you look at all your retro collection, what is that one piece that's missing?

For me I used to think it was an Amiga A1200, then I got one and it was a bit of a let down when it proved to be an unstable PITA when I tried to accelerate it, so to eBay it went. Then I thought it was an Amiga A3000, yeah it was nice but it didn't give me the fuzzy feeling I thought it would, it was big, noisy and was taking up space that I did not have, so to draxx it went.

Not that long ago I stumbled across the A600HD I'd picked up on some ebay alternative many years before, I began to tinker with it and build it up (RAM, HDD, Indivision etc.), in fact it's the same machine you see featured in my sig. It pretty much fulfils all my retro nirvana requirements, ie. it's reliable, fun and above all else, gives me a nostalgia high. Despite this, there are still a few odds and ends I'd love to have, one example would be a Pentium Pro of some description that's totally maxed out spec wise for that era, but even then I have my doubts that I'll be completely satisfied.

So is this a pointless thread and endeavour, or is there actually a retro nut out there who has everything they could possibly want?

2. power

power Member

probably a CD32, 3D0 or something like that.

Dream retro, maybe a motorised cab of some sort or a W industries VR machine like Dactyl Nightmare.

3. simontifik

simontifik Member

I think I'd be pretty content with a 4-player arcade cab that could switch between TMNT Turtles in Time and NBA Jam.

4. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

God yes.
    Or just the MAME equiv.

5. badmofo

badmofo Member

I’m conflicted by this topic because I’m never quite satisfied with what I have. I decide that I just gotta have X, so I search for it, I buy it for way more than it’s "worth", I restore it, I upgrade it, I LOVE it… then I box it up and start over with something else. What I need to accept is that it’s the tinkering that I enjoy, not necessarily using the finished product. But therein lies the conflict – for some reason it’s hard to justify the time / money I spend on my retro toys if I’m not going to use them.

I’m currently in the process of culling my collection – usually at a loss – because I’m just not comfortable owning it all. It’s weighing on my soul! I want to find a happy place where I have a few systems that I really enjoy, and limit my tinkering to them. And like you, experience has told me that it’s not always the things you think you really want that give you the biggest retro high. My C64 has given me countless hours of joy over the last couple of years, despite never owning one back in the day – I just happened to pick it up along the way because it was cheap. It’s the sort of machine that lends itself to tinkering, where my SMS – which I thought would be the answer to my retro dreams – sits on the shelf.

Was my reply even on topic? Not sure. In summary though I think my idea of retro fulfilment is a project that’s never finished. Wait, what? Now I’m not making sense at all!

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Cannula, if he can ever get in that horde room & sort it. :lol:

7. power

power Member

If you had a blast with a C64 I can thoroughly recommend an Atari of the same era like an 800XL.

8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I don't think there is ever an end to it you'll always find something else to collect.

For me my retro journey started with my PC Big Box collecting with my original intention of just collecting my all time favourites. 172 games later you can see how well that worked out. :eek: My current theme is collecting Accolade games even obscure one's like Bar Games and Day of the Viper. It's now a case were I'm chasing games of that era no matter what.

Hardware side of things, I just wanted an Amiga 500 and an Atari PC3. The Amiga 500 because that's what my mate had at the time so I spent an awful a lot of time on it whenever over his house. And the Atari PC3 because that's what I was stuck with when I got home! :lol: But largely because it was my first IBM PC compatible so I have a lot of fond memories on that old thing.

But again, I now find myself expanding what I want hardware wise. The Atari PC's in general have become a big focus for me so I'm buying up what I can find. I've got XT's a 386 and a 486 PC plus various other 286/486/Pentium motherboards. Would love to get another VA-503+ SS7 motherboard with a few Rendition cards to go along with it to relive that era. Not to mention a Slot A and ASUS K7M Motherboard for that era as well. The list goes on...

I don't think it's ever possible to find fulfillment. Something else will always catch your eye.

9. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

10. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

I want the late 90s VR glasses for PC

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A PC-Engine/TurboGrafx and CD-ROM attachment would make me pretty happy.

More RGB/SCART CRTs too. Always need more of them.

And more space to put it all...

12. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Offer $1 because of $27.50 post.

14. jmannik

jmannik Member

My collection is almost complete although I must admit I mainly purchase to tinker.

Current left to get to satify the urge is as follows:
    - Everdrives for NES, SNES, SMS, Megadrive, and N64.
    - Sega Saturn
    - Sega Dreamcast
    - SNES
    - Atari 1040ST/fm (or any Atari ST or STE really)

15. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I think I get my retro high from the A600 as it was the first Amiga we owned, I tend to get just as much joy from firing up my C64 and 1541 as that was the first computer we owned, however for some reason the A600 is a little bit more special. The very nature of retro means you'll never actually collect everything as everything gets old at some point and will be considered retro, heck the machine I'm typing from now will one day be considered so, it may even end up in shane41's pile :lol:

Personally I think the whole nostalgia thing plays a big part in it and when you think back about the awesome machines you would have liked to have owned back when they were new and how comparatively affordable they generally are now, one finds it hard to resist the urge to splurge.

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

How about a 1990's pinball table - whole bunch of nostalgia and tinkering/maintenance to keep you busy there. :thumbup:

17. partybear

partybear Member

A fun thing I do with my old computer stuff is overclocking.
    I don't game on old pcs since for the most part pc games are very compatible with newer parts.
    But they are fun to overclock.

18. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I saw a friend on failbook selling the Japanese version, cables, controller 2 games for $105. CD-ROM didnt work and it had to be shipped from Japan. I was tempted but my console collecting is currently limited to Sega gear. So far I have SMS2, MD2, MCD2, Saturn and DC.

19. Cannula

Cannula Member

I guess the only thing I want ultimately for retro PC is a maxed out Quantum3d Aalchemy system with dual Pentium IIIs, 8GB RAM and a heap of VSA-100s on boards, controller board. THE WORKS!
    A great four player game cabinet and an awesome pinball like one of the recent ACDC ones would be great too. Spent so much money on Simpsons and TMNT as a kid.
    I've got a few consoles but don't feel the need to get any certain one. I guess it might be because I still have my Atari 2600 Vader from when I was a kid. I still remember the price, $99.99.

20. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

It is a pointless endeavour, you could have any old Slot 1 AGP system to run all the old dos games and sh!t would be sweet.

Until you get the bug for.

High end ISA video (386-DX40)
    VLB Video(486DX2-66-AM5X86-133)
    PCI 2D accelerator(Pentium)
    3DFX/GLIDE acceleration(Pentium 2)
    AGP Direct 3d Card(Pentium 3).

Pentium PROS are cool systems, only reason because its rare, their must be less systems after all the CPUs were scrapped