Hey guys, I completed (part of) a Sega Dreamcast console refurbishment tonight, the console was sent to me by an awesome forum member who found it weathered out on a sidewalk and offered it to me to see if i could fix it up and put it to use. dreamcast is retro enough to post here yeah? I took some pictures of the process I performed to get the unit back to a functional, lovely condition. ^_^ This pic was after just a bit of surface iso cleaning was done. When I got the parcel (a few weeks ago), my germo/ocd kicked in and I immediately isopro'd the surface, so unfortunately I don't have a photo of it in a dirtier state then this, but it sure was nice and dirty when it arrived! It also had a tacky bulldogs sticker just below the logo, showing just how yellow the rest of the unit had become (mmm bromine) upside down, not much explaining needed I took the shell off to give the topside a good proper detail cleaning job. I was also pleasantly surprised with the internal condition Cleaning tools at the ready! upclose you can really see how splotchy and yellow the unit is , also you can see the sticker outline below the dirty dreamcast logo heh. magic eraser activate! god i love magic eraser you learn all kinds of tricks when you clean consoles up as a hobby.. what sort of console restore would be complete without some finger skunge!! *weeeeew the skunge above almost pails in comparison to what i found underneath said buttons off you go to the sink bath buttons! (>^_^)>~oo isn't that better now? OK, now she's looking a little more respectable! (yep, i assigned the dreamcast a gender, it's not strange dudes do it to cars all the time!) her eyes don't look scratched, but they're a little dusty there you go, nice and clean! next, i was wondering if her battery was shot, hrmm fortunately seems it was still holding power. fan was looking a tad crusty in the corners but overall not bad. another glamor shot of her all cleaned up nicely. at this point I didn't have a A/V Cable,games or controllers for the unit, so I ordered an adapter for my X-Arcade duo, I then ordered an A/V cable on the weekend and it arrived today. Since i've never owned a Dreamcast before, I was unsure if the console had a built in Dashboard or relied on bootcode off game discs (i've seen stranger unassumable things before!), I also found that the unit LED was not coming on at all, I packed up the unit in plastic for a few weeks until such time I had a Video cable to try get an A/V signal with the console. Once I had the A/V cable (today), I was certain the LED not lighting up was abnormal behavior for the unit since I wasn't getting Video or Audio on the unit at all. I jumped on google to see what others in a similar situation were learning about which part of the console is faulty. After finding a full disassembly guide, I disassembled the unit completely to look for any scratches or obviously burnt out SMT components on the dreamcast mainboard. shes in lots of pieces! I took the unit apart in front of the guide as to make the process easiest, and to ensure accurate reassembly (I only ended up glancing at the guide on occasion) the dreamcast mainboard, in all its naked glory. after inspecting the board and psu i could not find any pcb damage or problems with the SMT (at glance) The board was in pretty dirty condition with dust and tobacco and other particulate all over the place. some of the gunk cleaned off the PCBs Although the insides were a bit dirty, this was not enough to explain why it could not fire up correctly, i was beginning to think one of the ASIC or EEPROM chips may be busted, in a last ditch effort I considered giving the pcb a light DIY reflow, in-case the two main chips had BGA Solder Microfractures. My heatgun, which seems to pay for itself time and again.. After delicate reassembly, and some detailed contact cleaning of all the power related contact points, (ports/slots etc) to my delight, she fired up!! precious bootloader! looks like that battery I checked earlier isn't perfect afterall. -_- Huzzah! I immediately go find a disc to test the laser out with.. Success! the laser is in perfect shape ^_^ Back into my collection you go. -post success caveats and notes- I've ran the unit for several hours, I found that it is struggling to regulate power 100%, though these units are known to have contact issues, I may need to take her back apart and sand down some of the internal power related pins for better contact. I'll likely find that the sanding method may not completely correct the power regulation problems and will look at buying a cap replacement kit for the unit, after all I want it to play perfect for when my dreamcast games arrive once its up it rarely seems to crash out due to power problems, its ran for over an hour in one go before it gave out, I'll continue to exercise the current caps and see if they come good with the sand method mentioned above, while i wait for a recap kit. hopefully I wont need to put the parts under the heatgun again, and don't intend to until I'm confident all the caps are regulating properly. thanks for reading/looking, If/when I install a recap kit, I'll probably post up the process on here. ---------------------------------------------- Last update: Dreamcast is 100 percent fixed*!! ! as per post #20, after doing the further contact fix, the unit has been running flawlessly for more than 2 and a half hours!! \o/ happy days, big thank you to craig for sending me the unit to fix up and keep, you sir are awesome *bar one easy cr2032 replacement.