1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Sega Dreamcast Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade Worklogs' started by qwertylesh, Sep 17, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Im looking at making a dedicated room for mine, its 3 garage shelves packed to the brim, need to buy three more garage shelves and have to empty out a decent sized room just for my gaming items :upset:

2. MdMa

MdMa Member

I've actually got a brand new NTSC-US Dreamcast that I still haven't opened.

I was actually thinking about selling it, unless anyone knows where I can get an AUS PSU for it?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

This thread made me get my second Dreramcast out to clean, but it was very clean in the first place and has lived in its original box since I tested it.

You should be able to put an Australian PSU in it. There is a place in Victoria I think that does repairs. House sitting so I dont have the link handy.

4. Mickey Juice

Mickey Juice Member

I also remember the release in Australia being poorly handled by Ozisoft ie high prices, limited stock etc
    A lot of my mates too were holding out for the PS2 release.

Despite Sega's "amazement" with international Dreamcast sales, the Web-based gaming console has met with an "OK" response locally, according to Harvey Norman's John Slack-Smith.

According to Slack-Smith, Harvey Norman's general manager for computers and technology, the launch of Sega's Dreamcast was challenged even before the launch due to understocking.

"Only 70 per cent of our stores were stocked yesterday for the launch today," he said. "We had stock arriving at the other 30 per cent over the course of today."

Scott Millard, Sega's head of PR and promotions for the Dreamcast, said stocking difficulties were only due to retailer mis-estimates because there were enough consoles in the country to meet all retailer demands, he said.

Additionally, Slack-Smith said vital software and peripherals would only be made available this Friday.

"It's been a disjointed start to the program," he concluded.

Although the product could be used for low-cost non-games related Internet access through Telstra Bigpond, Slack-Smith said it was "very disappointing" to learn the browser to access the Net would not be available until the end of February next year.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/100861/shadow_cast_over_dreamcast/

Kinda off topic, but I came across a cool mod last week when researching flash carts for retro consoles.
    You can now replace the DC GDrom drive with a board to run games via flash cart. I'd provide a link but not sure if it's allowed around here :Paranoid: Would be very handy if your DC is dead.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I saw one or 2 on youtube. You can get the serial port SD card reader if you dont want to pull the GDRom out.
    Meh, I have 100 odd 99min/870MB CDs sitting at home.