Sega Mega Drive Mini

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Boneman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Boneman

Boneman Member

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This is getting a lot of hype online. Let's look at it in detail:

1) It was from a casual chat with the Sega CEO, and was basically a "yeah, maybe" from him. Zero confirmation outside of one article.

2) In the same breath, the CEO said they might just import the AT Games console (which is quite terrible compared to the NES and SNES Mini) and localise it for a Japanese audience. Let's remember that the AT Games model was designed for the South American audience who are still quite mad for Sega's 8 abd 16 bit offerings

3) Sega have a fraction of the love that Nintendo do in North American and Japan. Considering that they are the key sales targets for any video game audience, it's quite the uphill battle for Sega.

Here in Australia, Sega had a much better run during the 8/16bit days. We followed the UK more closely back then for taste and influence (most gaming magazines here came from there, as we shared the same PAL region releases and localisations). So we tend to have a lot more nostalgia for the brand than our US and Japanese friends. Sega's various retro releases on consoles and PC haven't done particularly well, and their management is still focused on publishing new titles rather than looking backwards.

All of this sounds like I'm shitting on Sega. Hand on heart, I'm a huge Sega fan - especially in the 8 bit era, I preferred them to Nintendo's offerings (I own Sega SC3000 hardware and run an archiving project for the homebrew software on that, as well as about a dozen Master System II consoles and dozens of original games from the 80s and 90s). But this announcement is still young, and is more or less the whimsical off-the-cuff thoughts of their CEO. I wouldn't get any hopes up just yet.

3. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

8 bit sega was great.

Sonic the hedgehog, the ninja, shinobi, ninja gaiden, alex kidd in miracle world built in game

how is the music in this game not awesome

or the gameplay and music in this one, so twitchy in that so much skill and reflex was involved :)

clonex likes this.
  4. elvis

Agreed, but again if you read the article, they're talking about 16 bit, and specifically mentioned a Japanese release of the terrible AT Games offerings already available in the West.

5. Grant

Grant Member

Ditto, as long as we have decent controllers stil being made (not the IR junk that ATGames make), I think the community is still way ahead at emulation than anyone with SEGA licenses these days. Get the Mega Drive Classics collections on Steam when they're on sale if you want an easy+good 16-bit experience.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    elvis likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Boneman

Boneman Member

As far as I can understand, this is a new console not the AT Games version, and will be produced by SEGA themselves.

The live video was fun to watch too.

7. elvis

I hope so. Let's see what comes out of official media over the next few days.

I'll dig out the quote about the AT Games re-release when I'm back at a PC.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. bYrd

bYrd Member

They've released hacked down Mega Drives for years, possibly watering down the hype for this current release IMO.

9. OP
    OP
    Boneman

Boneman Member

The model shown in todays announcement is different from all the other hackjobs, my inner 12 year old still has a little faith.

10. elvis

OK I'm catching up on more news this afternoon. Still no technical details, only a shell, but it's around half the size of the AT Games models. I hope Sega of Japan controls this, and doesn't screw it up.

The success of this will come down to the software. It has to have both excellent quality emulation (easier to do for the MD than the SNES for a bunch of reasons), but also an excellent interface, save state management, filter options, etc.

Licensing wise, I think Sega still has easy access to an excellent collection of games. Trickier ones for them will be things like the Streets of Rage games, where they own the IP but not the music (it's owned by Koshiro's company, Ancient). But they've bundled them before without toot much drama. For the most part, they should have access to easily double the games the NES and SNES mini consoles had.

Fingers crossed.

11. nimmers

nimmers Member

Hard to get too excited about this. It'll probably just be some android junk. Maybe it'll motivate Kevtris to do one though.

12. elvis

I think that's still a valid choice for a lot of people. You and I won't buy those, but it's a far better solution for the types of people who aren't big gamers, and just want a quick nostalgia hit.

13. power

power Member

more ATGames shit.

nimmers likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Member

Pure fantasy here, but it'd be amazing if they could get Christian Whitehead's native ports of Sonic to an Android SEGA device. Capping it off with finally giving him S3&K :)

15. elvis

On that note, he was umm-ing and ahh-ing about jailbreaking the SuperNt . I know that's a much bigger job for 16 bit consoles, but if it got a Megadrive core, that would be superb.

16. elvis

17. nimmers

nimmers Member

Yep this. As cool as it would be to have something as good as the snes mini.

I did up a hacked wii for my son, cost me $30 for the wii, $10 for the SD card and used an old usb hard disk. Loaded on the entire virtual console library and all the good gamecube and wii games.

For the average user on OCAU making something for their kid - seems good. Even hooked it up to a 14" crt via RGB for him and we can still hook it up to the big tv via component if we want to..

elvis likes this.
  18. elvis

19. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Its another ATGAMES production. The same company who makes other retro consoles like the Atari and Sega Genesis Flashback.

Certainly no NSE/SNES mini. Hapefully these initial problems will be fixed in future updates. Because as it stand. It doesn't looking very good.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  20. power

power Member

haha, yeah Review Tech USA - he goes apeshit on atgames at every opportunity - tell all your friends though, don't BUY THIS POS until it's confirmed to be not garbage.