Sega Mega Drive Mini

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Boneman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

2. power

power Member

darkmenace likes this.
  3. Grant

Grant Member

Mine actually showed up yesterday :D

Lots of fun from my short time playing it, nothing really to add to the in-depth reviews that have already been posted.

Greg Sewart gives a short personal opinion of each of the games:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    elvis likes this.
  4. g12345567

g12345567 Member

Australian Mega Drive mini unboxing.

Once again no USB AC power adapter is included. Only a USB-to-Micro-B power cable is included.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  5. Malakai

Malakai Member

Could they have used two people who know less about old school Sega consoles.

I've been having a ball with mine that I picked up on Thursday. Thoughts so far: Tetris is about 2 minutes of fun, Columns is way better and I had so much fun playing it, I'm going to have to get some Retro-Bit controllers so that I can play Street Fighter and other similar fighting games properly (I hope someone makes joystick controllers that are compatible), the music/sound in general is awesome, changing the console language setting changes the games and cover art to the games region release (amazing!), Space Harrier 2 sucks ass, I don't get Ecco the Dolphin at all (I wonder what drugs the devs were on when they came up with that game).

Vanne likes this.
  6. elvis

I couldn't want even 2 minutes of that. Retrogaming is huge both in this country and worldwide, and these were the best two idiots they could find to talk about the unit?

7. flain

flain Member

RetroRGB does the input latency test and also the sound delay testing on it

Grant likes this.
  8. simontifik

simontifik Member

Ecco is terrible! It’s like someone decide to take the worst part of platfromers, the underwater level and turn it into an entire game!

Although I only ever played the gimped 8bit version on Master System maybe the proper release is better?

I do remember the story being pretty wild, something to do with alien DNA.

9. power

power Member

best Ecco was on the Dreamcast. I believe i can pick mine up this arvo from the PO, it's been delivered - nfi what play-asia's delivery times are on the tower.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  10. elvis

I have a particular fondness for games where you play as animals. Philosophically speaking, I'm a strong believer in our entire perception of the world being very much warped by our own physicality. I think finding new perspectives on the world is only possible through the experiences of others.

And while video games (and especially 16 bit video games) aren't exactly ultra-realistic, I do still love games like Ecco where you're simultaneously limited by and enhanced by a completely different body.

Back to reality for a moment however - the 8 bit version of Ecco was total arse. The 16 bit version was good, let down only by it's incredibly tough difficulty for huge chunks of the game. Were it to be made just a smidge easier (air/damage modifiers would be enough), they could have had a hit on their hands.

11. power

power Member

So mine arrived yesterday and i had a crack, it's a damn good machine one thing for me is it's surfaced a few games that i'd not sampled from the library and to me that kind of makes it worth it too. i only ever played a friends Megadrive back in the day even though i've played tons of MD games over the years (I've bought some digital games here and there, compilations etc) there's something about this one. the controller for me was important as i'm a bit of a controller snob and yes it is slightly different, the cord isn't as chunky (good length!) and the d-pad is well, it feels more accurate and honestly i prefer it over the original (even though i didn't have a MD I had a 3 button and a megafire for my Amiga). Overall as a collector of these mini consoles this is right up there with the Nintendo efforts. Language swapping works as "advertised" and is a really really great idea.

Play-Asia are pretty slack so my tower appears to have only shipped yesterday which i guess brings me full circle to the device, it is bloody cute and tiny too, here it is sitting beside my other mini's on the coffee table making the x-box look even huger that it already does.

This device took all the lessons of the others and corrected them, holding start down to bring up the menu is great and mini makers going forward should all implement this kind of thing.

The audio things that the DF's of the world talk about, look i'm sure some people will notice them but tbh i don't because well i'm not as familiar but i do know all the games i've played so far have "just worked" and that's something too.

upload_2019-9-24_7-36-26.png

12. g12345567

g12345567 Member

After being out for only 1 week first reports of Mega Drive/Genesis mini being hacked. Dubbed "Project Luna". Seems like the same Hackchi method used to mod the Nintendo classics will be used. Further details in the linked videos.

Only early days. So nothing yet released to the public until the developers determine its safe to do so.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  13. power

power Member

yeah the hack prolly won't be as easy as the SNES/NES but it should be decent anyway.

14. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

15. power

power Member

it was nice to see they've got a good idea of what's under the hood, dumped the roms, emulator etc.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Was just at big W in brissy, they have the mini, display case only.. are peeps nicking these? :/
    Didn't pick it up though. Might wait for a price slash.

17. power

power Member

they are very tiny, so yeah nickable i'd say.

18. power

power Member

Tower finally arrived :D

received_1360302457479616.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Daft_Munt, Vanne, darkmenace and 4 others like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Picked up the mini in Seattle today. The pads feel good. :)

Have been playing for a bit.. mostly castle vania, and rather disappointed.. there is a serious lag issue. Very difficult to even pop the upper candles. You have to press the jump/whip button nearly half a second before you anticipate the whip move.

Anyone else finding this?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019