Sega Mega Drive Mini

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Boneman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

Wow no one else found this thing to be laggy? Maybe it's just my unit?

2. power

power Member

I haven't had anywhere near the time I wanted with it to comment.

3. Bourke

Bourke Member

I boxed mine up and threw it in the pile.
    Spent no less than 5hrs playing it, I tried my best to enjoy it, everything was boring or weird/uninspiring.
    Monster Hunter I thought was very kool, never seen it, i liked the ideas and play mechanics like continuous side scroll and monster respawns.
    Never had any SEGA, so was looking forward to getting something out of it.

My MINI NES and SNES I can play all day, prob over 100hrs on each, waiting for N64 MINI

4. Grant

Grant Member

I don't notice the difference compared to other emulator setups, but I'm not too picky. If you want low latency you need a high-end emulation setup, FPGA, or original hardware.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Did you mean Monster World (Wonder Boy)? "Monster Hunter" is a modern 3D franchise.

I think we'll have more chance of this coming to Switch than a mini console. ARM hardware still isn't at the price point where you can emulate this sort of system in the commercial USD$99 bracket.

Agreed. People need to remember that retro gaming is a broad demographic.

These mini consoles have always been aimed at a non-technical audience. If you're clever enough to set up emulators, buy FPGA consoles or work out flash carts, mini consoles very likely aren't for you.

But just because they aren't for you, doesn't mean they're rubbish. They bring a lot of joy to a lot of people, and more importantly are competent and legally licensed ways to enjoy old games. As much as some of them do suffer a bit of lag, the fact that these are first party devices and not palmed off on to people like AtGames any more means that rights holders are taking retro gaming seriously now, and that's great news for all of us.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    darkmenace likes this.
  6. Grant

Grant Member

Vanne likes this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks Grant, I'll probably give this a go.