Sega Mega Drive Mini

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Boneman, Apr 14, 2018.

1. power

power Member

I think you will find Sega are going after the Japanese market primarily and the quality and positive reviews (expected) should give this machine a nice bump.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've already had twice as many (non-nerd) people contact me and ask about this mini console than all the existing ones that have come and gone combined.

Certainly goes to show the popularity of Sega during the Master System / Mega Drive days in Australia compared to other brands (Nintendo included).

3. power

power Member

because

elvis likes this.
  4. elvis

My original Mega Drive had (and still does, in fact) something wrong with its audio. That exact sound bite on Sonic 2 (and Sonic 1) would corrupt 80% of the time on startup (and go on to have all music corrupted until I retried the whole unplug/off/plug/on cycle several times over). Even replaced my Sonic 1 cartridge thinking it was at fault back in the day.

I've since bought several other units (5 at last check in the spare parts pile) so no drama. But one day I'll go back and find out why the hell that unit was busted, and why it only affected the music in Sonic games.

power likes this.
  5. Phido

Phido Member

Sega seemed to do really well in PAL regions. Certainly back in the day the mega drive and master system seemed to be everywhere, the NES and SNES were relatively rare.

6. power

power Member

yeah the US and the rest of the world seem to fall into different pages. we tended to align with the UK more than the US when it came to home computers and consoles through that era.

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thats simply due to the pal only games/units being available in the shops I would think?

8. elvis

I'd really like to see some research into it. I grew up in a small country town, and it was Sega-mad. Not a Nintendo in sight.

But I certainly speak to other folks today who grew up in Nintendo households. And of course there was the micro PC popularity too.

A deep dive on distribution, sales records and all that specific to Australia would be fascinating.

9. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

When i was at my primary school of 40 students (88-94) there wasn't a single kid with a Nintendo, everyone had a SMS however.

The high school i went to was defiantly a Nintendo stronghold, i think there was 1 kid with a Saturn.

10. Raptor_Eye

Raptor_Eye Member

I remember the Master System II fondly as it was the first console I ever had when I was kid, absolutely loved it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Kidd built in and various games, still remember a Ninja game fondly that i got for it, can't find the name of it though (no not the one that got bundled in a lot of AtGames retro consoles)

My single mum was poor sadly so I was stuck with it for quite a while, I still remember having the choice between either a GameBoy (with clear cover yoooooo) or MegaDrive 2 for one Christmas, chose the GameBoy for the long road trips or train journeys.

The next console i had was a PSX, but still have much more fond memories of the Master System.

11. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Had the original sms... my dad bought it for us because we were constantly over the neighbours house cause they had a game console... the original sms had a motorbike game called hang on... you could actually play it forever never-ending... also it had a secret maze game... those were the days.. you used to be so care free... never had a 16 bit console :(

Back in the day.. games were expensive. 40 bucks in those days was quite a lot.my parents weren't rich so they really sacrificed a lot for us. We didn't know back then of course.

Remeber the times u blew into the cart because it didn't read correctly hahaha

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  12. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Got a Master System II as a kid when it hit $99, like a lot of us I would imagine. Never actually owned a single master system game, just rented everything.
    Primary school was about 50/50 Sega/Nintendo and many a playground argument raged. As a kid you defended to the death whatever you had because you had no other choice.
    Same with the games. You rented a bad game for the weekend? Tough shit, you suck it up and grind it anyway.

elvis likes this.
  13. elvis

I've noticed both in myself as an adult, as well as in my kids, how little patience we have now for difficult or seemingly obtuse video games.

Some of my favourite games and developers throughout history were ones who made notoriously difficult to get into games, but ones that were supremely rewarding once you got over the initial learning curve. There are so many great games from back then that I never would have persisted with, were I to have the sorts of choices available to me today.

And likewise, that worries me now. I wonder how many games I give up on way too early these days, because I no longer have the tolerance to persist with an initial difficulty wall I once did?

My youngest is starting to turn a corner though. He'll watch speedruns of old games on YouTube, then attempt the game himself and suck at it on first attempt (like every normal person does). But now he's getting quite obsessed with actually improving his skills beyond day-one attempts, and on occasion does quite well at some of the older games. He gets frustrated when I pick up something like Sonic and Super Mario World and blitz through levels, but I have to remind him that what he's seeing there is the muscle memory of an old man who spent hundreds of hours on these games, and not someone who picked it up last week. :)

14. power

power Member

i really admire people who have the skill and patience to master hard games, i also hate them out of jealousy but that's a different conversation.

Grant and greencamel65 like this.
  15. elvis

I know a couple of folks who are right up there at world class on certain games, and many of them play a single game to exclusion of everything else.

I certainly understand the desire to master a game, but I also really, really like variety. :)

16. power

power Member

i have 4 or 5 JRPG's on the go atm and after my DCHDMI got done I started another, I hear ya!

elvis likes this.
  17. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Ive still got my master system 2 with 25+ games. Was on sale for $88 at kmart in july 92. I know because some how i found the recieipt in recent years...

Lots of good fun games on it but the very best one imo was alex kidd in miracle world which was also built in. I remember the late model SMS2 sega swapped alex kidd for sonic built in.

18. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

Sonic is a very overrated game... very boring game... no difficulty at all.

19. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

I thought it was moderately difficult. I enjoyed it but not as much as alex kidd in miracle and shinobi worlds.

20. OP
    OP
    Boneman

Boneman Member

It might have been this one, I loved it.

[​IMG]

Raptor_Eye and alch like this.