Selecting a Cube Case for a HUMONGOUS CPU Cooler!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Digidave, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Digidave

Digidave Member

Functionality - sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Hi there,

I'd like to go a CUBE Case not because I am doing liquid cooling, but because I am using a the Very ... VERY... large CPU air cooler otherwise known as the Noctua MH-D15 (S series) This things is HUGE!!! The main reason I am getting it is because of how silent it runs and despite not overclocking, I will be stressing my CPU up to 95% for hours on end every day of every week.

I am well aware of that this Air Cooler being as large as it is, may present fitting issues with respect to the position of some motherboard PCI-E X16 slots; thus interfering with the Graphics Card. I contacted the seller, of the Motherboard I am thinking of purchasing to check their thoughts. They assure me the cooler will fit. However I beleive the top PCIeX4 slot will be inaccessible once the cooler is installed. That's no big deal for me.

All parts going into the case are compatible for both fit and to ensure no conflicts.

MY PARTS LIST:
    CPU - Intel Core - ................... i7 8700K Six Core LGA 1151 3.7 GHz
    GRAPHICS - ............................... Galax GeForce GTX 1080 EX OC 8GB
    CPU COOLER - .......................... Noctua NH-D15S Multi Socket CPU Cooler
    MOTHERBOARD - ................... Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WIFI ATX LGA1151
    RAM - .......................................... - G.Skill 32GB (4x 8GB) F4-3000C15Q-32GTZR DDR4 3000Mhz Trident Z RGB
    HDD’S - ...................................... TWO Samsung 970 EVO Series 1TB M.2 2280 NVMe SSD
    POWER SUPPLY ...................... Corsair HX850i 850W 80PLUS Platinum Full Modular

COULD ANYONE RECOMMEND A CUBE CASE best suited for an ATX Motherbaord?

I don't want one overly large, yet I do want one that will allow more than enough space for the HUGE Noctua Cooler.

There seems to either be a lot of micro cubes or server sized cubes. Is there anything in between that would suit my needs?

Another reason I like the cube case is because some allow you to lay the case flat so that the motherboard is flat. I feel this would put less stress on the motherboard at this CPU Cooler is not only humongous but to some degree also heavy.

Could anyone help me out with a couple of options / recommendations.

I do worry about some of the cube cases letting a lot of dust in ... thoughts?

Is there a CUBE case in between micro and Fridge size?

2. rvrftw

rvrftw Member

The only cube case I can think of is the Corsair Carbide Air 540...
    It will definately fit a D15.

Do you move the case around alot?
    As you will find a side mounted D15 will be fine, unless you lug the case around a lot, then you might need to be careful.

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  3. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I would get a Cube case because you like them not to fit a specific cooler. The D15 will fit into a lot of larger cases and even then the different between a D15 and one of the slightly smaller coolers is only 1-3c normally which I doubt will make a huge different in noise. Also I have not seen any Mobos break due to large coolers so I don't think being vertical is a huge issue unless you transport it around a lot on bumpy roads in a vertical orientation.

4. museumman

museumman Member

on a plane with cocaine & yes im all lit up again
    TT LEVEL 20 iirc can be horizontally oriented from memory.

5. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

I've had a board fail with a fairly lightweight (compared to a d15) coolermaster ~212 cooler.

Started getting sketchy about posting, was testing ram etc but found putting pressure on the cpu cooler (ie pushing it towards the motherboard) would bring it back to life. lol

Took quite a few years, but it did take its toll eventually. It didn't have a backplate or any kind of support though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The only commonly available cube case I can think of is the Air 540 as mentioned. I'd like to suggest however that you consider the bequiet!! Dark Rock Pro 4 as a candidate for a cooler. Its every bit as effective (and large :lol:) as a D14S, doesn't cost you a PCIE slot, and is even quieter. It also comes with clips to add a 3rd fan, which could potentially even make it a more effective cooler than the D14S.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  7. hairy

hairy Member

tower 900.
    its huge but will fit pretty much anything on the market

8. johnyfalco

johnyfalco Member

As mentioned above. Thermal take Level 20 XT has plenty of room for a D15. But it’s a big cube. You can mount the motherboard horizontally. Great case, but big and heavy.

9. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

My Thermaltake W200 can mount a D15 with ease.

10. Darko

Darko Member

Also check out the Caselabs Bullet BH8

11. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 Member

I thought they went bust.

12. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

They did. Obviously there is still surplus stock globally at authorised Caselab distributors and pc parts retailers.

13. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Noctua have a compatibility list on their website.
    The D15 will fit even many smaller mid towers.

14. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Have you actually bought the D15 yet?

IMHO the bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4 is a much better looking cooler, with the fans not at unequal heights like the D15 and without the D15 baby shit colour scheme. Similar actual height to the D15 though.

I run SETI@Home whenever the PC is turned on, which is like 18 hrs a day, with everything cranked up all the time.

My 2700X is running at 100% on its highest stable overclock (4.2GHz), and runs at about 65° in a poorly ventilated temporary case, half an inch above the backplate of my Nitro+ RX580 (moderately overclocked), which is also running at 100% - the metal backplate is quite hot to the touch.

That won't be an issue when my new case is finished as it will be horizontal rather than vertical so the CPU cooler will no longer be fighting the rising heat from the GPU, so temps should improve substantially at that point - especially since the new case will have excellent ventilation and airflow.

Its a great cooler, I've had a D15, I consider this one to be superior, particularly from a noise POV. Even with it being flogged as it is, I can't hear it from where it is just beside my desk.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  15. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

Following your build, with interest.:thumbup:
    Will be special,when your finished.
    Don't rush it.:)

16. Defyant

Defyant Member

Ive got a cube case that fits a D14 with tripple 140's :D