Self-hosting Gallery software - what's best now?

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Azrael, May 8, 2017.

1. Azrael

Azrael Member

Ok, a few years on and my old gallery site is in dire need of an update, and the automagic updates seem to break it. So im going to rebuild it from scratch.

Given that im now doing a 365 project, and also looking to host a bunch of more random photos from my phone for personal use and linking to websites, im hoping for something that is quite phone compatible.

In the past i have used Gallery2, but Gallery3 didnt appeal at the time, so i never upgraded (and my G2 install is way past updating).

What is out there like Gallery2, simple, easy to upload, can dump multiple photos off phone onto, but has the abilities to work as a semi-pro gallery site. Ill have two installs, one for personal and random stuff (worklog updates etc) and one as a portfolio, so no need to mix the two together.
    Will also be self-hosted, so no paid external hosting solutions please.

What is out there?

2. vinnY

vinnY Member

you can give koken a shot, have't used it for a few years but still seems to be alive and kicking

3. OP
    OP
    Azrael

Azrael Member

Bump... koken is now dead in the water, and i accidentally updated one site which has nuked it.

I use PiWiGo for my forum image hosting, but its not aesthetically pleasing. Looking for a portfolio type site.

Ive heard good things about X3, but are there any other options, especially free?

4. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

I'm very quietly working on a Koken clone of sorts in my spare time which I'm planning on open sourcing when the project is a bit more polished.

Right now it only has basic admin functionality (photo import, collections,) that said, it's only been a work in progress for a couple of weeks.

The goal is to do the first public release once it meets at least the basic Koken feature set (publishing collections, blog posts) which will hopefully be by the end of Q1 next year, then start adding on additional features (geotagging on import, access-controlled collections.)

We'll see how it goes, I guess.

5. Athiril

Athiril Member

What’s wrong with koken now?

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

It's pretty dead. The official download link is dead, the official support link is dead, all their social media feeds have been dead for over 18 months, the unofficial support community is gone...the main website is still up but it's hard to see why given you can't download the product.

I was looking at it the other day because I was trying to work out if I still need my PHP hosting provider or if I can move everything to static hosting on S3....I started putting together a Koken site back in 2014 that I never got back to, and now it looks like I'll have to go another way.

7. Athiril

Athiril Member

I started using Koken kinda recentlyish with the Lightroom plugin, oh dear lol