1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling computers

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by Jo Shadow, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Jo Shadow

Jo Shadow New Member

Hi, silly question, but I was directed to this forum as a place to sell my PC. I’ve looked through the various threads and can’t see any sort of dedicated marketplace. Does it exist or have I been given a bum steer?

2. rickbishop

rickbishop Member

You have to be an active member for 90 days before you can see the trading forums.

CAPT-Irrelevant likes this.
  3. havabeer

havabeer Member

This, it stops people signing up selling stuff but never really committing to the community

CAPT-Irrelevant likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Jo Shadow

Jo Shadow New Member

Thanks Havabeer & Rickbishop. While I understand that requirement, it is disappointing as I just need to offload a high end PC and there seem to limited market places for that kind of product...
    If you know of anywhere other then the usual suspects (ebay, Gumtree, FB Marketplace etc) I'd appreciate it.

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Plenty of high end users on FB/GT etc. What sort of high end gear are we talking about here? Just high spec regular hardware or something more niche like custom watercooling etc?

rthy likes this.
  6. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

This is exactly why the rule is in place. People join, use the site to sell parts, and then never add anything to the community.

In an ideal world, you'll join the site, contribute your knowledge and share your interests across the various forums we have, and actually be invested in your time here.

Otherwise, nothing to stop people joining with a fake email, scamming people, and disappearing.

If you're only here to sell your goods, I suggest you try elsewhere. Other members may naturally have reservations trading with a member with zero contributions over three+ months.

pksw, WooKiE_MaN, Zee and 1 other person like this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Correct, it's a good policy and I think largely it actually does work.

Yehat and mesaoz like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Jo Shadow

Jo Shadow New Member

Well, I would contribute if I had anything to contribute. If you have a suggestion of where else to try, like I said, I would appreciate a heads up as to where that is.

9. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

Facebook. Gumtree. Ebay.

10. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Full systems don't sell well here anyway, most of us are enthusiasts that build our own systems and tend to pick up parts to suit our use cases on an individual basis.

Of course for the right price everything will sell, but you may actually find it possible to sell for a higher amount to the general masses in other marketplaces.

h2oxide and Elmf like this.
  11. mils1

mils1 Member

Cash Converters.

12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Agreed with jjjc_93 you're likely to get a higher selling price on Facebook than OCAU, difference is you can trust most OCAUers (most) not to stuff you around

chainbolt likes this.
  13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Last place I would go or send anyone, and I have a mate who works there.

bondibro likes this.
  14. mils1

mils1 Member

It was only intended as a joke.

Scarpetta likes this.
  15. chainbolt

chainbolt Member

Where I live, Yahoo is running an auction site for such stuff. As already mentioned, selling on OCAU has the advantage of trust, but you will get betters offers on bigger sites, that have more users. In particular for high end stuff. What is it actually? :)