1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Semi Wired Wireless

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by Jag_Guy, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Hi all,

I have a bit of a ‘wide’ wifi network requirement at home. I have a Wifi router in our lounge room, which covers most of the house ok but drops off a little on the other side. I also have a large aerial on the outside of my shed which just picks up the signal from the lounge room. After trying all of the usual network over power, wifi extenders etc I have had some success getting all of our devices onto the same router after investing is some better aerials.

The router I have has 3 wifi aerials on it. What I was thinking is, is it possible to run an extension on each of those aerials to effectively spread out the network? My thinking is that I’d put the router in the roof, then run <5M cables and poke a hole in the ceiling at each end of the house, then run one aerial on top of our roof outside to make it easy for the shed to pickup.

Is this possible or do all 3 aerials on routers need to be close to eachother?

2. zeeps

zeeps Member

Just get another AP.

Pugs likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Understand that is possible, however with my idea all devices can stay on the same Wifi network without struggling to hold onto one network before hopping onto the next.

If it’s possible, for a few hrs work in the roof it seems worth it.

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Unlike a wap you will have significant signal losses over thin cable... unless you are using a high grade cable is more of a pita to install into tight wall spaces as opposed to getting a cabler into run a cat6 cable for the wap.... all depends on how much you value your time...

Set the same ssid and password but on different channels and they should technically just roam between the strongest ones when roaming...

5. caspian

caspian Member

^^ this is the way to go. it will be far easier and cheaper to move the data via IP than RF.

6. OP
    OP
    Jag_Guy

Jag_Guy Member

Ok, so if I have the same SSID and password wont the device still try and hang onto the weakest signal until it has to 'hop' onto the next router? That's the problem I have at the moment - I have two separate wifi routers, but when I sit down out the back, the device will hang onto the inside router for dear life with <1bar of wifi signal. I generally have to manually change over onto the wifi router outside.

I did have a look around to see if you could set a limit for when a device drops off a Wifi signal but no luck.

Someone on another forum just suggested this, looks like a good solution? https://store.google.com/au/product/google_wifi_learn

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  7. Jazper

Jazper Member

As someone who has google wifi, I say get that.

It solves everything relatively easily.

If possible have a wire between the points, but if not it still works well over wireless.

feel free to ask me more about it

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  8. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

drop the AP tx power, alternatively use a can to beam the wifi:
    [​IMG]

or, utilise 2 x AP's that do 802.11k (AP Assisted roaming)