Sennheiser HE-1

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Bourke, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Bourke

Bourke Member

How was your day at work, productive...that's good.

I had to tell my boss I couldn't make it today, I had a thing to do, hope he had a good productive day..(sic)

Yes yes, the headphones.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

The short answer is, yeah, nah
    They do everything well, nothing bad, but also nothing exciting.

Seriously I had to ask the Sennheiser dude, "are these Electrostats or Planars.?" coz I was trying to figure them out, what were they trying to be.

$80,000 Headphones and Amp/Dac....nope, no thanks.

I also tried Sony MDR-Z1R, with LAPPY>MOJO
    They sounded very nice, good texture bass, good balance and detail, fit and weight very good.
    Cables annoying and not good if you turn your head alot.
    As a dynamic, it's nothing special over what I have already, not worth a $1600 punt anyways.

Story time.......

Addicted to Audio have a travelling set of Sennheiser-HE-1 that are doing a tour of the 4 stores, Perth was Thursday, I tried to put my name down but Dan said it was too busy and if there was enough ppl, they would hold a better session Friday.

As it turned out, Thursday, 35 ppl turned up and they had about 2 songs each..LOL
    On Friday, we had 1 hour sessions, and I could have walked out after 30mins coz I was out of ideas by then.

I threw all sorts of music at it, it all held up well enough, very good expression of Kendrick, classical, acoustic, it did well, but it felt like a reproduction of the music, instead of an interpretation ..idk
    Kinda sounded repressed and veiled a bit, not bright or forward at all, so you had to listen out for the music.

They are open backed and leaked like a sieve...I had the volume at 12 o'clock for most of the full impact, big bass tracks, in general I felt fatigued afterwards, we talked alot and I was concentrating on listening at the same time.
    It was cool that the dude would find any track I wanted (and that I knew) so I could reference it against what I know.
    The HE-1 DAC he said was a Sabre chip, which is a little bright, so for it to sound dark or repressed was odd.

I had an awesome time, flatout for 3hrs jus demo'ing and talking gear..I need a nap now.

I asked everyone the same question too.......What headphones do you have/bought/want.

Sennheiser dude said HD 800, he heard the HD 820's the thinks they are better all around and improved.

Store owner Dan said he had none, he has stereo gear, I told him to get out...:lol::lol::lol:

Shop dude had nothing 6 months ago, now he has HE-Edition X v2 and some ear bud things whatever.

2. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

They are electrostats, heard em on release when I was overseas. Not the best sounding headphone out there but you're paying for the R&D as it's an all-in-one kit with a matching amp, headphone, nice marble enclosure and a DAC, basically a signature piece for those who earn lots of money and want a display piece. Was considering putting down an order but put that money towards my MSB Select DAC instead. Then again I listen to more stereo then my headphones as no headphone setup in the world comes close to good stereo setup. Got bored and bought the HD800's again which I'll paint, an HD700 yesterday to mod and the HD800S today to play around with. Thank fuck my weekly pay covers my expenses and I have no wife.

3. OP
    OP
    Bourke

Bourke Member

When you get to nitty gritty, a hifi will pull away from best headphones, but hifi needs space and no near neighbours, and more watts to run, but the enjoyment is the end goal.
    I'm surprised at the 2 HD's coz they would have similar tones, like dumb me buying Beyer DT and T1.
    The HD 700 on power will be tricky to get to shine, hoping that magic DAC of yours has killer separation to create the space it needs to sound it's best.
    On small tube it's alright, on big tubes it's whumpy heaven.
    If you mod the 7's, I have the modhouse mod for them, easy enough to do yourself, cut out some felt. When you turn up the energy on the 7's, you get some enclosure rattle, so maybe inspect the driver in-situ and get it tight, and maybe some sorbothane to control any rattle.
    I don't think they are hardcore but excellent all rounders.

I got a pair of KT88's, such a big bottle, and biggest that'll fit in the MP-301, very smooth and good all round, not extreme. I got out my DT's and jus played them on medium, to run in the tubes more than anything, and the vocals were a bit repressed. When I cranked it up on some slam bass, everything moved forward equally and the vocals were very balanced and bang on.
    My theory is the HE-1's jus lacked energy, they had enough volume to make loud, but not the "warmth and timbre" it turn it into an experience.
    They never once made me go WOW, everything was great but my sack never tingled like what I have at home.

I was very very polite with the Sennheiser dude, coz it was all adult and professional, running my mouth or being flippant would've been so disrepectful.

If theres a market for it, and someone buys the thing and they are happy, then who cares.
    Theres are review in HF of HE-1 vs ORPHEUS, it was a good read.....i'll go find it.
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...-1-impressions-of-a-direct-comparison.860779/

4. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Theres an earpad mod on sbaf which drops the 6khz and brings the sound more alive. In stock form the HD700’s is a piece of shit with a lot of problems, exactly what I said to th Sennheiser rep years when I heard the demo on release.

I don’t like running tubes through the HD’s because it colours the sound too much.