Server Build vs NAS Help!

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Smegenstein, Sep 25, 2019.

1. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

fair enough, I scrub my library - all shit gets auto deleted 30 days after being watched

2. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

3. cvidler

cvidler Member

for plex transcoding, you want a modern-ish Intel based setup. the integrated graphics powers through transcoding like nothing else (well an add on graphics card).

check the plex transcoding requirements and get something on that list.

4. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

I run both DIY and Synology at home.
    The Syno is small, quiet, easy and very power efficient. It's also limited and while there's loads of packages, I find myself in Elvis' shoes that it doesn't expose the level of configurability I want. I don't stream, so can't comment on plex encoding.
    The DIY server has vastly greater capacity and versatility, but you can see it's effect on the power bill. Old server hardware is great, but its power consumption isn't.
    So I've compromised. Synology is the usual file server. Stuff gets archived to the big box once a month or so. And there's a tweeny weeny NUC sitting quietly in a corner running a pile of virtual machines that do all the low-power stuff I want them to.

5. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

I'm curious what you're running in VM's and have you considered running the same apps in Docker on the Synology?

6. Zee

Zee Member

Why is transcoding even still a thing? Surely, just about any device these days can play the native file? I've been playing BD ISO's straight from my NAS with no transcoding for at least 8 years.

Regardless - that Synology 918+ is a bargain, wish I had the cash to snap one up, then I'd throw my existing 414+ to another location.

Z...

7. OP
    OP
    Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

On the off chance that mine or mums chromecast can't handle whatever type it is being served and needs to be transcoded first. Also if the content is too large it would need to be for mum and dad to watch it on their net connection.

8. Zee

Zee Member

OK, I guess if it's a Chromecast or similar... Fair enough.

Everything I use to watch my content is generally hard wired with a gig connection, so I never really consider that side.

Z...

9. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Because I don't want to stream a BD ISO to my phone while I'm on the tram on my 60GB Telstra plan :)

10. Zee

Zee Member

Oh wow - is this what people are doing? I can't imagine enjoying a movie on a phone, but yeah, I guess that explains it. Each to their own and all that.

Z...

11. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

Primary one is a linux VM handling DHCP/DNS/PXE/NTP network core services. With a little DNS massaging, it's a shoddy copy for a PiHole. When I put it together Synology didn't support DHCP updating DNS for internal resolution (and TFTP/PXE was hacking about too). I see someone has hacked it in a couple of years later, but why fix what isn't broke?

Secondary is the Linux iso obtaining VM, pretty much kept for the same reasons as above, although virtual networks allow me to very simply segregate traffic to places, which brings me to the thirdly, which is the multi-VPN-endpoint load balancing VM router. In the summer months, I can use a VM#4 to control the ARGB Christmas tree lights :D
    Perversely, I host them all on windows so I can easily spool up a minecraft server or similar for a quick LAN game. If I'm hosting a proper LAN, the big fileserver has the CPU and ram to host pretty much anything that still has actual LAN servers.

I'd need a new Synology to run Docker. As mine only does file serving duties, it's just a little baby 4 bay. When I bought it, I didn't see the point of an expensive Plus model that still didn't do what I wanted.

12. OP
    OP
    Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Yeah my in house network wouldn't need it, I could easily replace the chromecast on the bedroom TV if it was an issue - but mum and dad are on satellite with skymesh so pulling down full HD content from me might give them issues sometimes.

Zee likes this.
  13. chook

chook Member

Yeah, I know. I have a client who is a law firm overseas and they were complaining because their fee charging lawyers couldn't edit Word documents on their phone. My first reaction was to ask why they are trying to do that and the people I was talking to answered by telling me, 'because Generation Oxygen Thief.'

Zee likes this.
  14. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, makes lots of sense. I only considered the internal home network, did not think of streaming out, seeing as I am never in a situation where I could do this - I'm always driving or flying. If I am a bus/train passenger, it'll be in the third world, with no hope of a net connection worth a damn.

Z...

15. Zee

Zee Member

I can't stand editing any from of document on my phone, the typo potential is just too great - it's bad enough with a proper keyboard!!!

And yet, my darling partner does exactly this on her phone. though she uses the Google suite for her company, so it's all through their Google account.

I can't wrap my head around working on that level with a phone.

Z...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  16. OP
    OP
    Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

I dont even like using my phone for sending a slightly long email, anything more than about a sentence i'd prefer to use a computer.

17. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

They got autocorrect and autocomplete on phone input. It's not that bad. Cutting and pasting is the real challenge.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

no that makes it worse. so many times autocorrect does things wrong - e.g. I've never meant to say ducking, but it always autocorrects to ducking.

touch screen interfaces are just rubbish for data entry. there's lots of kludges to improve things, but it's still way sub-standard to a keyboard.

fwiw the best kludge I've found so far is the swifkey keyboard for Android.

Still have to proof-read everything you write before sending and making a fool of yourself.

Zee likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

20. HobartTas

HobartTas Member