Server with 51645 and Seagate drives

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Forcas, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Forcas

Forcas New Member

Hi Guys,

I am new here, finally bit the bullet and signed up. I have heard that this is a great and very informative knowledge base.

I have an existing small home server and am running out of space (and SATA ports) so I have done a bit of reading up and purchased an Adaptec 51645 from the US. I also purchased 3x Seagate 3TB drives (ST3000DM001) after checking the compatability list for the card. I have installed them and am having trouble with the drives talking to the card.

All cables are seated correctly, drives are powered, I can access the card setup menu after POST without issues but even when I rescan for drives nothing is found. I downloaded Adaptec Storage Manager and couldn't see any drives in there either so I proceeded to update the card firmware to the latest version and attached the drives directly to the motherboard and updated their firmware as well (Drives were visible and worked when attached to an onboard SATA port). Still cannot see them when attached to the card.

I have no other ideas, anything else I can try? Is anybody else here running the same card with Seagate drives successfully?

2. jmannik

jmannik Member

My first throught is that you have the wrong type of cable for your cards. you need to make sure you have the sas to 4 sata cables one and not one of the other variants

3. fuXK

fuXK Member

You need the 8087 to sata and u should be good

Adaptec raid card can detect those drive easy

4. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

5. fuXK

fuXK Member

So when u enter adaptec bios no show? try all the different slot's on the card

6. Stanza

Stanza Member

Description of those cables says reverse breakout

You need forward breakout

It's a dumb description that confuses a lot of people....

They should advertise them properly, as state the way each end is wired

What you want is the controller end to be labeled "HOST" and the drive ends to be labeled "TARGET"

Which actually describes it properly

7. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

Tried all internal slots. Same deal on all of them.

8. fuXK

fuXK Member

9. ktmrida

ktmrida Member

10. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

Thanks Stanza,

I will try to get my hands on the correct cable locally and give that a try. What exactly will these cables work for?

Edit: By "These cables" I mean the red ones i already have.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  11. fuXK

fuXK Member

yep if u have 8087 connector, like a norco case. To your MB

12. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

Awesome. Thanks for that. Does anyone here have feedback on these blue cables? I saw a thread somewhere saying they were quite flimsy and break easily?

13. Stanza

Stanza Member

They will work for either

Controllers that have individual SATA ports.... Connecting to an expander / drive backplane with sff-8087 connection

Or say a motherboard with 4 x SATA ports..... Connecting to a drive backplane with sff-8087 connection

14. davros123

davros123 Member

They are fine. Just do not yank them them out by the cable. once they are in you rarely touch them anyway.

15. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

Hi Guys,

I received my new cables and installed them, still couldn't pick up the drives, so I tried another drive I had laying around (WD Green 1TB) and the controller card is picking that up no problems. This tells me that my problem is the drives. On the Adaptec support site it lists these drives (ST3000DM001) as compatible, but only with the latest firmware (Which I also installed) so i am stumped as to why these drives are not showing up.

Any Ideas?

fuXK - You said it will detect these drives easily, have you got a similar setup or card and have these drives working?

16. fuXK

fuXK Member

Might be bad news...

After this thread i went and bought 8X ST3000DM001 3TB

My LSI 3Ware 9750-4i did not like this drive funny i had 4TB seagate XT connected fine, but lucky i had a spare LSI 9260 lying around which pick it up fine

If the ST3000DM001 3TB werent on sale. Dont think i ever buy em again, going to stick with hitachi/toshiba now. Seems like all hardware raid base card love em

17. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Sounds like you gave the OP a Bum-Steer while getting burnt yourself.

The best config for the ST3000DM001's (Very different to the XT's) is with a HBA and using software RAID like Win8 storage spaces or ZFS alternates.

The ST3000DM001's DON'T like HW RAID, some get lucky but most get burnt due to the green firmware on them.

18. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

Speak for yourself but Areca cards work fine with those drives

19. fuXK

fuXK Member

I never burnt myself, i had a backup plan

Adaptec site listed the drive as "compatibility", so he should give them a ring

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  20. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Just because they are listed as compatible, doesn't always mean they'll work.

I recently found this out myself with WD Blacks and Adaptec cards.

Most hardware RAID cards prefer to work with enterprise drives.

In my case I got the WD Blacks working, but they consistently dropped out and failed the RAID array.

WD RE4's though worked a treat.

The SD Seagates are only really designed to work in desktop RAID scenarios (Intel onboard or software RAID). That's why Seagate released the Constellation CS series :)