Server with 51645 and Seagate drives

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Forcas, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Grvm

Grvm (Banned or Deleted)

For those guys saying they don't work, did you actually update the firmware on the card?

I definite know the 7805 works with the ST drives since one of our lab machines has a raid 10 setup with 4 of them

2. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

What works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone else.
    +1 and well said.

3. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

Thanks for the replies, I have tried 2 firmwares on both the drives and the card with no success.

I can always use these drives as backup, but my budget for the month is already spent so I can't get other drives. I don't think I will be buying those drives again either.

4. jmannik

jmannik Member

When the funds become available you could possibly look into WD red drives or the equivolent from other manufacturers.

5. OP
    OP
    Forcas

Forcas New Member

I was looking at either them or the Toshiba 3TB. The red drives are your recommendation obviously, are they worth the extra $35-40 per drive?

6. fuXK

fuXK Member

No red drive are rubbish soo many dead on arrive

Toshiba is your best bet awesome drive

7. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Toshiba's you are likely to have the same issues as the Seagates, as they are not designed for hardware RAID controllers.

Seagate Constellation CS, WD REx series, or WD Red NAS drives are your only real options for 100% compatability with HW RAID controllers.

FWIW WD Red NAS are fine if you aren't using them for reading/writing a lot of files off, as they use Intellipower to slow down the spindles on them.

8. jmannik

jmannik Member

As I said "or the equivolent from other manufacturers", what is the source for your reports of doa drives for the reds? I find that everyone has their own experiences with each brand of drives.

9. archersaurus

archersaurus (Banned or Deleted)

The evidence is all over Hard forum.

10. fuXK

fuXK Member

Google.com

Why pay over price for rubbish when you have a much cheaper quality like toshiba

I have over 60tb in my norco and those toshiba has never skip a beat

Like i said Hardware raid go with hitachi/toshiba.. All been tested with adaptec, 3ware, Lsi cards i have

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013