[WINXP] Service de-registetring spontaneously?

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by mAJORD, Feb 7, 2021.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

HI all.. Hopefully some XP knowledge still floating around

I have an older XP box , part of my collection, been playing BF on and have been having a shit of a time with punkbuster enabled servers. Long story short I had manually register the PnkBstrA and PnkBstrB services, as the installer was failing.

This seemed to work, but what I've found is about 5mins into playing I'll get a Punkbuster error for PnkBstrB service.

I exit game and go into services to check it out, and whilst it shows up in the list, trying to open it I get an Error that it cannot be found. / not registered. :confused::confused:

I can then immediately go register it again via command prompt , restart machine, and it's all there and starts OK . Start playing and same thing happens.

PnkBstrA service seems unaffected

FYI I am Registering the services as so:

sc.exe create PnkBstrA binPath= "C:\Windows\System32\PnkBstrA.exe"
    sc.exe create PnkBstrB binPath= "C:\Windows\System32\PnkBstrB.exe"

So How and what could be "deregistering" (for lack of a better word) this service like that?

I've tried temp disabling firewall and AVG to no avail

2. d1dz

d1dz Member

I had similar issues with my XP box trying to get Battlefield Vietnam working a few years back. Manually install the latest services from the punkbuster site. They offer them as a standalone DL. It did the trick for me.
    https://www.evenbalance.com/downloads.php