Setting up 3x3 monitors with two AMD HD6990's (now running an NVidia NVS 510!)

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by HyRax1, Dec 20, 2011.

1. dmandn

dmandn Member

This sounds no different from Amd's eyefinity, and looks like it may suffer from same/similar limits

2. imgod22222

imgod22222 Member

if i remember correctly, VLC has a mode called "mosiac", which is only accessible through the command line, or through a poorly made "mosiac wizard" which should make 9 windows of the single video, such that they are slices of the same video, and each should be full-screen-able.

Tell me how it works out for you.

3. SiriusDragon

SiriusDragon Member

Nope, it's been around a lot longer than eyefinity and has a lot less limits, better driver support, and lots of performance. Only problem is the cost.

4. dalai_yoda

dalai_yoda Member

5. foundation

foundation New Member

In 2011 I attempted to do pretty much the same thing (but with 460ut-b -- 1366x768 monitors) and I ended up abandoning trying to run at full resolution 4098x2304.

I did find that the VWBOX-133A-R10 will run 3x3 at 4098x2304 but it was $1600 for the box.

The quadro solution seems to require 3x quadro k5000 so that's at least $4500. (nvs series states maximum is 8 displays with 4 per card I just sent nvidia an email asking if I could put 3 nvs cards in a system)

Very cool that @HyRax1 got it to work with triple head 2 go. I purchased 3x of the triplehead 2 go back in 2011 as I had same idea, but I was unable to get it to run at anything higher than 1280x720 for each monitor. This web page http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/gxm/th2go/resolution/digital/resolutions.html

says only the digital editions supports it (I bought displayport edition).
    Hyrax1, did you you really get it to work on dp edition or do you have the digital edition with some sort of dvi to displayport converters?

thanks for the info on the vlc video splitting also. I plan to try out windows 8 (seems to have better multiple monitor support including spanning the background across all the monitors)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  6. OP
    OP
    HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

Yes, I used three DisplayPort Edition TH2Go's. The TH2Go's connect to the PC's gfx card with a Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and the monitors are connected from the TH2Go's using DisplayPort to DVI adapters (via ethernet DVI extenders).

7. foundation

foundation New Member

Ok thanks. I looks like the TH2GO's have to be updated to 1.0.40 firmware *and* be connected to a specific set of cards (i.e. not the eyefinity HD5970s I have)
    The list is here http://www.matrox.com/graphics/de/support/compatibility/gxm/resolutions/

I guess I'll have to go through and find what the cheapest compatible card with 3 displayport connectors is.

8. foundation

foundation New Member

Further reporting back for anybody else attempting to do this:

I used a quadro 4000 as a test (only allows two active outputs) and was able to get the triplehead2go units running at 4098x768 and bonded together in mosaic mode (6 monitors total). that gave me enough confidence to order a NVS 510 card with 4 displayport outputs.

My current roadblocks are:
    I can't get all 3 triplehead2go units to run at 4098x768 at the same time. One always is 4080x768. The quick setup software only sees two of the units at a time (as matrox advertises only support of two at a time not surprising). I've tried disconnecting one unit, using the quick setup to set it to the proper resolution, and then disconnecting another, reconnecting and setting again, but always the disconnected unit comes back at 4080x768. 4080x768 actually looks ok (sharp text etc.) so I'm not sure if it's a problem to run all 3 at 4080x768.

When using mosaic mode on the nvidia nvs 510 with all 3, the driver crashes super hard (all black screens everywhere). I tried again with a 4 ouput attached (a regular monitor not part of the mosaic) and it too goes completely black.
    I tried the newest beta drivers as of 2013-04-28 but they didn't help.

9. OP
    OP
    HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

June 2016 Update!

Due to a rather unfortunate power surge that fried the PC, we took the opportunity to rebuild the videowall PC into a more recent model box and take advantage of some newer GPU hardware to drive our Videowall, in particular the previous suggestions in this thread about trying out NVidia Quadro's.

As a result it now runs a much nicer and simpler setup. We're now running the three Matrox Triplehead2Go units from our previous setup on a single NVidia NVS 510 card under Ubuntu Linux 16.04 LTS and that has finally allowed us to play 2160p video at up to 60fps on our 3x3 Videowall!

It only took forever, but we finally have the spec we originally wanted back in 2011!

NVidia Mosaic does the same job as AMD's Eyefinity, but without the cumbersome side of it and it's a LOT more flexible with display numbers and arrangements (only works with Quadro and NVS cards, not GeForce). The change of GPU to NVidia also allowed me to switch to Linux which not only enjoys better driver support than AMD, but a faster boot and significantly more control over the machine from a scripting perspective.

Best of all however, is that we can now finally play 2160p video at 60fps. Big Buck Bunny never looked so good. :D

So basically put the setup is now:

• Three 1366x768 displays into one Matrox Triplehead2Go DP-Edition times three, presenting three wide displays to the PC.
    • Each TH2Go unit is connected to ports 1 to 3 on the NVidia NVS 510 card. The fourth port is empty.
    • Linux sees three physical displays, each 4098x768 in size.
    • Mosaic from the NVidia 340.96 drivers does the work of knitting the three displays together in a 3x1 vertical arrangement. This version of the drivers is of course a loooong way from being the latest but they are the highest "stable" version included in the Ubuntu 16.04 repository. I was about to add a PPA to put the latest version on but it looks like I have no need to.
    • Install the "ubuntu-restricted-drivers" package for all the GStreamer plugins.
    • Throw up some test 2160p MP4 and MKV's. They play perfectly using the default Totem player or through MPlayer (the latter is used in the scripts).
    • A script now launches Chrome full-screen to show a web page that changes daily and then plays an entire folder of videos with a ten second gap between each play (allows you to see the web page between each video played).
    • We can easily kill the loop to allow us to occasionally use the Videowall as a presentation display for PowerPoint via LibreOffice.
    That's literally it. Best $500 we've spent on it and a country mile cheaper than the current Matrox solution for 2160p 9+ display digital signage.

The only outstanding issues are a minor desktop layout issue (doesn't affect full-screen modes) and it seems to be fixed to 60Hz - I can't set 50Hz so 25 or 50fps videos frameskip every so often. Big Buck Bunny at 60fps looks fine of course. No tearing or anything either.

I haven't tested 3D performance yet, but we don't need it anyway - these cards were designed for digital signage, not gaming.