setting up voip small office with cloud pbx

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by psychobunny, Jun 12, 2019.

1. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

With nbn finally at my parents small office it's finally time to overhaul all the junk there.

As part of it all we are looking at switching over to a voip based phone system through the office.
    There are 6-8 desks that will have a phone, and im looking at a cloud based pbx solution.

I'm looking at an ubi edgerouter and a poe enabled switch, with the phones doing a passthrough to the workstations

while setting up the phones and doing the config isnt too rough, what im not sure on is what needs to be set up and how it all hangs together with respect to port forwarding on the router. last thing i want to do is buy a bunch of gear to find it wont work togethe

2. garnet

garnet Member

softphone not an option?

We used maxo + bria, works quite well. There are also option for desk phone though.

3. BAK

BAK Member

You shouldn't need to worry about port forwarding. Your phones will each establish an outgoing connection (through the firewall on your router) to the cloud PBX, the PBX will use that same connection to reply, no port forwarding required.

4. bcann

bcann Member

Make sure to setup QOS on your router, otherwise if your connection gets smashed call quality will go to hell. Yes i know QOS is generally really only effective one way, but still....

5. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

+1 for Maxo. Three handsets, 4 "lines" and cloud PBX with IVR. Works well.

Didn't have to do anything exciting network wise, the Yealink handsets just get a DHCP IP and punch their own way out to Maxo's server.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. OP
    OP
    psychobunny

psychobunny Member

ok checking out maxo now, was thinking spintel before

7. caspian

caspian Member

ideally you'd get a chunk of TC-1 bandwidth provisioned as part of the service and set up the VoIP gear to mark outgoing traffic for that QoS class (not hard), but the problem is getting your ISP to do the same downstream if the VSP is a 3rd party.

Nobby6 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Not entirely sure what you mean.

if it helps, im getting aussiebb business on FTTC at 100 megabit if possible. easy enough to set up QoS.

currently debating if it is worth the extra $ to get a ubiquiti POE switch or something a lil cheaper (16 port)

9. caspian

caspian Member

I am referring to NBN network QoS. ABB don't use this at all to my knowledge.

10. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

11. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

You're talking about doing it properly. No one does it properly. That costs money and time!