SG13 Watercooled quick build

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Paulie_AU, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

A couple of weeks ago I got it into my head I needed a ITX HTPC. Needed to be small too and let me run a watercooled GPU and CPU.

Enter the SG13..... small (11.5L), cheap ($57) and can take a 120mm radiator with a claimed room of 90mm being available.

So I gathered some bits, bought a ITX board....and then a different GPU.....and another SSD and the case and went for it. :D

Parts are:

Silverstone SG13 Mesh front panel version
    Silverstone 140mm ST60F-PS PSU (80 Plus gold on 240v)
    i7 6700K (to be replaced with a i3 6100 I have here when I get my big Z170 board back from RMA)
    Asus Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard
    G.Skill 3866c18 2x4GB (to be replaced with 16gb of slow ram)
    Gainward Phantom GTX 760 with EK FC670 block (170mm long)
    XSPC Raystorm CPU block
    Phobya 220 pump
    Alphacool XT120mm radiator
    Lite On 256gb m.2 SSD
    700 GB 2.5" HDD
    7 x 1/4" Bitspower Barbs
    1 x 1/4" EK Barb
    2 x 90 degree Rotaries
    7 x 45 degree Rotaries (what I had......90 degree will be much better)
    EK Matt black tubing (7/16 press fit on the 1/4" barbs)

Didn't take too many photos as I just cracked on and built it but here they are.

Worked out layout to plan my runs. Goal was to use the rad as my res so the pump draws from the lower tank.

Loop order is pump -> GPU -> CPU -> Rad ->
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The put the tubing in which was a bit of a shitfight with the bitspower barbs an the ek tubing. I knew it would be but I have a bunch of EK Barbs here too (but are silver) and they are a good deal easier to get in due to the rounder profile on their leading edge.

So I got plumbed.
    [​IMG]

Then I bled it. My test bench came in handy as it has a fan controller which I normally run the phoyba pump off. So bridged the PSU, pulled the CMOS battery connector and went to town.

[​IMG]

I made use of extra tubing I normally use on the test bench so I could really fill it and get bubbles out without having to worry about liquid dribbling everywhere. To pour neatly I just jam the spout of the watering can into the longest piece of orange tubing.

One little leak on a connector to the rad (I only ever go finger tight but I had been slack on that one) and it all bled up. Took about 350mL all up which surprised me. Didn't expect that much.

Used Tectaloy red car coolant concentrate and demin water to keep things nice and protected..... pity no clear tubing in this build... yet. :Paranoid:

I will post some results but currently hitting 52 degrees running 4c8t at stock 4.0Ghz. Played Forza and got max CPU temp of 57 degrees (forza is odd it flogs the hell out of 2 cores....even on my 4930K) and GPU temp of 44 degrees after about an hour gaming.

After it was bled I threw it together and started using it so no photos currently. My only comments are.... the little CMOS batter connector is a prick to get back in. And the power button etc. connectors was a bit tight too.

All the necessary cables fitted in the case under the standard HDD/SSD mounting plate.

Currently the fan on the PSU seems to be the noisiest part of the build and the fan I used is a rubbish NZXT case fan.

Future improvements likely to be:

4 x 90 degree rotaries
    Silverstone SX500-LG 500W SFXL PSU (PP05 short cable kit would cost $30 might as well just get a more suitable PSU)

Aiming to get my main games and benching software loaded up this weekend and put it through a bit more of a punishing set of tests.

2. dewy

dewy Member

Very NICE, needs more SSD's and it seems to be lacking a power supply

3. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

PSU started sounding like an electric chainsaw. Have a Corsair SF450 inbound (from the reviews it seems like a great psu)

4. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Great Little Build, i intend to do wc build in the mercury s3 i just picked up, since already done it with the s5 and s8

a GTX970 Shortie for GPU? Does anyone even make WC Blocks for them?

Also possible to fit a slim 120/140mm rad beteween the side of the case and the gpu? will need some ghetto customization.

Havnt seen the matt black tubing before, i tend to use clear tubing. S8 has ek blood red coolant, and the S5 has Ek white Pastel.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  5. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

The EK FC670gtx block fits a heap of 970's that are reference pcb.
    I had a Evga 970 SC with blower cooler that fits the block and the card was a beast. Boosted to 1354 on air and would game at 1550mhz stock volts. Thinking of tracking down another so I can get more gpu grunt without need for another waterblock.

6. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I have had this running all week since the new PSU showed up. Got around to modifying a spare Lian Li SFX to ATX bracket. FYI the Corsair SFX PSU's do not come with the adapter plate like Silverstone units. :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

Installed with all cabling

[​IMG]

Rear bracket cut and painted. Red to match it's big brother. :p

[​IMG]

GPU Side

(trying to shrink with imgur.....don't do this very slow) :wired:

Heaps more room now that the SFX PSU is in there. It was really tight with the tubing getting the 140mm ATX PSU in there.

(coming I may have broken imgur....)

And a size comparison when up against my main computer. :leet: Not best photo took the little one to the big one instead of wheeling the big one out.

[​IMG]

Gave it a good run this last week and this weekend. Settled on 42x @ 1.190v and ram on XMP profile. GPU plays BF4 and Forza Apex nicely on stock clocks.

Ran pretty warm playing BF4 today. GPU averaged 50 degrees and CPU 64. Front fan is only 1200rpm could couldn't wind up to push more air. Forza runs GPU at about 44 and CPU high 50's.

7. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Sweet as. Maybe invest in a good static pressure fan for your rad.

I have 4 ek vardar fans on the 240mm rad with the 6800k and im getting idle temps of 20 with fans at 40%.

Crank the fans up too 100 and idle temps are 15. The broadwell chip seems to run cooler then the haswell chips i have and previously owned.

The s3 is looking sad. Gotta get time and the ok from the boss to go ahead with it. Have no use for it. But just for fun!

8. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

Yeah Vardar 2200 rpm is next purchase. 40% speed should be about 880rpm which is less than the current fan runs. It just sits on 1200rpm.

9. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Hey paulie, thread necro time, Im looking at doing some surgery on my SG13 to go full wc but I had to find out how this went with the new fan. I had a setup like yours before with a 4790k, 970 with full block and a monsta 120 in it but it suffered badly from airflow issues (solid front SG05) so I want to do it better this time around with the mesh front SG13.

:)

10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I have a block for a 970 shorty in the shed if this interests you. Its an EK-FC970 Acetal with matching back plate. I was running it with a Gainward Phantom 970 for quite awhile. Its shorter than an ITX board, as was the GPU. I *think* all reference 970's are shorties, the fan section takes up the extra length (as it did in the Phantom), once removed the PCB underneath is tiny.

11. aussie-revhead

aussie-revhead Member

Yeah its pretty cool, ref 970 has a stubby pcb with a long cooler, take the cooler off and the gpu is half as long. (I think ref 670 was the same).

:)

12. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Here ya go... I have a waterblock and backplate for this card if you want it Hayden. A shortie phantom.. notice the back of the GPU in the last photo, you can see that the PCB is nowhere near as long as the cooler.

Gainward Phantom 970 with a Short PCB - in combination with an EK-FC970, makes a combo that is shorter than an ITX board.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

It had been running fine but I just upgraded entertainment unit (very bad airflow) and moved to 4K so the 760 is really working hard and suffering (Was running 1080p frame capped at 60fps). Load temps are about 60 degrees and the case feels that hot too....mostly due to the entertainment unit though.

Have a 970 Phantom to go in it when I get around to it (lower tdp than the 760) and also going to mod the entertainment unit to get hot air to pump out the back.

14. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

I am interested too....have 2 sg13 builds and the 760 and 970 phantoms...... my custom case will be 2x itx with full water

15. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Here ya go Hay
    If Hayden doesn't want it its yours Paul

16. jonoe

jonoe Member

Paulie_AU Whats the thickness of this rad?

Currently have the SG13, love the size too much so I'm going to stick with it.
    I'm planning to do WC for this case. At the moment, the gtx1070 reference design fan is way too loud for my liking, and gets up to 80 degrees after an hour of PUBG. Cpu (7700k) gets to around 60 with a low profile air cooler.
    All stock clocks.

I guess as long as its quieter and runs cooler Im happy. Blower style fan is way too noisy for me...

17. jonoe

jonoe Member

Actually. I wouldn't be able to put the pump to where you've installed it as 1070 is much longer...

18. OP
    OP
    Paulie_AU

Paulie_AU Member

It is the 45mm thick. Some of the aio's have the ability to add in blocks. I successfully ran a gpu (gtx680)and cpu (6700k) loop off the fractal one but did find it a little underpowered.

Acidsys likes this.