SGS2 - Reverting to a stock firmware

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by methodMAN, Mar 13, 2013.

1. methodMAN

methodMAN Member

hey,

Picked up a cheap SGS2 GT-I9100 to use with my ALDI sim. Changing over from a HTC Desire HD (non telstra compatible).

Anyways the phone is unlocked from OPTUS and the seller reset it to factory default before sending etc etc.

Thing is, it still branded with OPTUS on various screens/icons etc, slightly annoying and figured I would get rid of it.

So I started researching how to reboot to a stock firmware, and seems easy enough. Then there are these last few steps:

I figure since the phone is out of warranty and I break it, I will just get another one, then I don't need to worry about this Custom Binary Download Counter. I looked up the USB jig and it is less that $3AUD delivered, so its by know means expensive.

So in short:

1. Is it necessary to reset the "Custom Binary Download Counter"
    2. Which ROM is best for Australian use - ALDI using - Telstra Network
    3. Should I even bother reverting back to a stock ROM

And the rest of the phone details:

Android Version: 2.3.3
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7
    Build Number: GINGERBREAD.XWKE2

cheers

mM

2. Renza

Renza Member

3. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

So I followed the guide, and cant get the CSC changer to work.

I have not as yet put my SIM card in, does it require a SIM card to work?

When I try and run CSC changer I get this error

From Here

And then on phone screen in the number box is this number:

*#272*0922#

when I click the dial button it comes up:

Not Registered on Network (once again I think this might be SIM card related)

Do I need to change the CSC?

mM

4. Renza

Renza Member

No need to - CSC is just the region code which sets the languages IIRC. Most regions have english included, so shouldn't be an issue

5. OP
    OP
    methodMAN

methodMAN Member

Initial setup asked me to choose a language, and it had English (Australia), choose that one and tried a few words in messages and they have the Australian spelling, not american.

Will port the ALDI sim in the next day or two.

mM

6. Shepete

Shepete Member

I have a Kogan South African Vodacom S2. Can someone point me in the right direction to backing up the original Rom & installing Jelly bean.

Renza. Do I just go to the page you linked to & download the Australian F/W?

Sorry, I am pretty naive about these new fangled things.:)

7. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

It can be a bit daunting if you're not knowledgeable about it. I did this all yesterday, but I did know what I was doing from previous phones.

I had an Optus S2 that had been factory reset to Gingerbread 2.3.6.

I got the CF-ROOT file that matched my firmware version, flashed it with Odin, which gave me root and CWM recovery. From there I flashed to the latest Rootbox rom. Once up and running, I got the Triangle Away app to get rid of that exclamation mark that comes up as you're booting because you've used a custom kernel.

All good now.

Start at this page: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=20075898

With this in mind:

Find the right root file for your kernel version, download Odin from the bottom of the first post and follow these instructions:

That will leave you with a rooted S2, running recovery. You can put a rom file on your phone, then boot into CWM recovery and flash it. Just follow the instructions on the page of the rom you're planning to install.

8. Shepete

Shepete Member

Thanks for the reply Sammy. I am not sure I am up for all that, but I may give it a try over Easter.:)

9. Recharge

Recharge Member

epic grave dig.. so, anyone in Brisbane area done this before?
    I have an S@ with cyanogen and want to flash back to stock rom.

but, I am way too noob to try this myself.
    anyone able to help?

Thanks.

10. flagger

flagger Member

Wow, totally stumbled upon this thread cause I just did the same thing. Reverted a s2 with CM11 on it back to the last stock Samsung ROM. It's fairly simplish so heres a quick guide on how to do it:

1. Install the Samsung USB driver http://developer.samsung.com/technical-doc/view.do?v=T000000117

2. Download a stock ROM, I used the build the last NeatROM was based on which is for Spain. Don't worry, it works in Australia. I got it from http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/24800/I9100XWMS3_I9100FOPLS6_FOP/ You will need to sign up to download it.

3. Once downloaded and the drivers are installed, follow the instructions on that webpage from Sammobile.

4. You will find when it reboots, it will bootloop after about 5 mins of prep. You will have to get into recovery mode by pressing volume up + home button + power button while the phone is off and letting go when the Samsung logo appears. The first time it happens you may see a Android dude and it will reboot. If that happens, power the phone off and do it again. When it is successful you will see a text menu

5. Hit volume down until reset to factory defaults is highlighted and hit the power button. Hit volume down until the OK line is highlighted and hit the power button. Once done, do the same thing for clear cache. Reboot phone and you should get to the setup screen.

6. It will have Spanish as the default language, set it to English (Australian) and you will be good to go :)

11. Recharge

Recharge Member

Sweet, thanks muchly! :thumbup:

12. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

What's wrong with Cyanogen? Stock ROM Is REALLY old now and hasn't got a lot of security patches. The only thing that might perform better on stock is the camera.

13. Recharge

Recharge Member

my GPS and walking tracker both crash a LOT with cyanogen, on my other phone, they don't crash at all. (both the same model)

14. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

My S2 running CM11 is rock solid with GPS, mum uses it for her walks all the time. It could just be the device or an old ROM you're running. Look at the CM thread on XDA.