Sharing NBN with neighbour?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by MoRpHeUs, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

Hi Everyone,

I been on extended sick leave and will be off work for a fair few months. For this reason every dollar counts.

My neighbours offered to let me use there Telstra NBN HFC 100mbit unlimited connection and I could cancel my Internet.

My current network/connection is ASUS Rog GT-AC5300 with about 25 connected devices. I have a lot of smart lights, Google Minis, Smart Power Points etc.

The neighbour has a very basic WiFi modem/router. Our houses are about 40m apart and we can see each others WiFi but not connect stable.

What do use think would be a good way to share our connection?

Thinking out loud.

A) Upgrade neighbours house to Asus Router that does Mesh. Then put a repeater in between.

B) Run network cable between the houses. More then likely not an option for numerous reasons.

C) Ideas?

2. waltermitty

waltermitty Member

3. OP
    OP
    MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

So in a nutshell. One of those into there modem and one of those into my router and happy days?

4. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Running a physical cable across the boundary is illegal, but wifi isn't.

Get a pair of Loco M2 or Loco M5 and set up as a bridge.

5. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Actually, supplying internet across boundaries is a breach of the Act (unless it is to immediate family) without a carriers licence, it doesnt discriminate on technologies.

City-wide mesh's have also long been a grey area, but as they do not (normally) allow access to the internet, so the ACMA has turned a blind eye

Of course what they dont know cant hurt you ;)

My recommendation would be the M5's

6. phrosty-boi

phrosty-boi Member

on a side note, if you're going to be off work for a while and it's a medical reason, check if your super comes with income protection insurance, usually a waiting period of 4 - 8 weeks and you'll get up to around 75% of your income paid while you're unable to work
    worth looking into if you haven't already

firey4059 likes this.
  7. caspian

caspian Member

true, but at least you're flirting with a relatively innocuous law, and not potentially invalidating your house insurance if the place burns down or anything.

IMO the law is pretty ridiculous, I can see issues with charging money for reselling access to a connection, but giving it away is a very different thing. theoretically you can't even let someone hotspot off your iPhone if they go and stand on the other side of a theoretical line. how do shopping centres and cafes with free wifi get away with it, I doubt very much they've all gone and obtained a carrier licence.

firey4059 likes this.
  8. cvidler

cvidler Member

ISP T&C's probably prohibits sharing a consumer connection too.

9. chip

chip Member

ACMA seem to have taken a common sense approach and say it's not required for "wireless networks in an airport lounges, hotels, shopping centres and Internet cafes where the service is provided in a single place"

firey4059 likes this.
  10. neopheX

neopheX Member

Meh it's a gray area. It might be illegal but who's going to enforce it? No one. If he's alright with sharing it for a while then go for it. NO one is going to report you or send the internet police to tell you to stop lol

Nobby6 and firey4059 like this.
  11. caspian

caspian Member

irony.... it's common sense to be allowed to share a connection in a shopping centre half a kilometre long, but perish forbid not over a side fence.

firey4059 likes this.
  12. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

Bloody good of your neighbour to offer you! Wish my neighbour was like that and not a ****

Nobby6, MrSnuffy and firey4059 like this.
  13. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Would prohibit on-selling, not sure about sharing.

14. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Yes, you're right, it's stupid, since Wifi, although weak, doesn't know where your properties boundaries are and cant pop up that farraday.
    Chip covered the exemptions below, the on-selling with internet cafes (do they even exist anymore in this country?) used to be allowed on business grade connections through ACMA exemption, IIRC.

AFAIC, if its my connection I'm paying for, I should be able to let anyone I want to access it, of course that means I accept liability for their uses, or do I? A defence to that was you may not be legally liable if all using the one public IP and no definitive proof "it was X, not me, you or the dog" (ref: Hon justice Cowdroy, Federal Court)

15. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

There's some configuration likely required, but from a hardware perspective yes.

16. caspian

caspian Member

[QUOTE="Nobby6, post: 18156174, member: 147212"AFAIC, if its my connection I'm paying for, I should be able to let anyone I want to access it, of course that means I accept liability for their uses, or do I? A defence to that was you may not be legally liable if all using the one public IP and no definitive proof "it was X, not me, you or the dog" (ref: Hon justice Cowdroy, Federal Court)[/QUOTE]

I very much take the point about establishing a link between action and responsibility, but how does that work now with multiple people in a house? and how is that different to someone being outside the house, or across a nominal property boundary?

I can't see a court holding someone personally responsible for something without far better proof than they they had the access required to commit an act.

17. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Member

As the other dudes have said, it's against TOC's - I'm not sure about illegal if your neighbour is not selling you the internet access... I have a pair of ubiquiti nano stations if you want to do a point to point link... I just offered them to someone else but if they don't want em you can have em.

18. OP
    OP
    MoRpHeUs

MoRpHeUs Member

I just wanted to say what a great community OCAU is. It's refreshing there is still some nice humans in the world. Thanks guys for trying to help.

19. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

It doesn't work if you are all NAT'd, I think that was Justice Cowdroy's point. However, if you dish out routeable addresses, like IPv6, I have no doubt it would be a different ruling.

20. caspian

caspian Member

and then we're back to the horrors of everyone having a public IP, and that's before someone goes and sits in a coffee shop with a secondhand tablet or a lappie running Ubuntu.

probably getting OT, but certainly in the OPs case it wouldn't worry me too much if I was sharing with a neighbour that I know. worst case, run a VPN to trunk all of the traffic out via an anonymous IP, which is getting to be a better and better idea these days anyway.