Sharpening your own Knives - tell us your experience

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by sgtraven, Dec 14, 2011.

1. pugsley

pugsley Member

A bit of a thread bump, but in my youtube travels i came across Wicked edge. Its one of those designs where i looked at it and thought "Now why didnt i think of that"

Will probably look into it again come tax time.

2. caspian

caspian Member

ultimately it is no different to what a Lansky or Gatco clamping system will achieve. I'd also be taking a lot more care not to hack the choil up, and to sharpen right up to it too.

I would have also wiped the blade before slicing the tomato. I'm not that fond of ground metal in my food. :sick:

3. Geno

Geno Member

Personally I always get my old chef knives sharpened by a mobile professional, lasts heaps longer then any other way imo.

I've found diamond tips in the hands of a non-pro seem to chop a lot off the knife over time. (no pun intended)

4. pugsley

pugsley Member

Its a different approach though, I'm a big fan of how the system is anchored to a stone slab. With the Lansky/Gatco You have to handle the knife while working the stone.

5. connico

connico Member

they both have a mounting system. I HAD both but got rid of them for an edge pro! :)

6. caspian

caspian Member

the Gatco at least has a bench mount for the clamp. there is a pic of it here. http://www.knivesplus.com/gatco-ga-12001.html the Lansky system may have something similar.

I made my own from timber and some strip aluminium, it is basically a vertical pocket the bottom tang of the clamp slides into, with a baseplate that can be clamped to a bench or table.

7. pugsley

pugsley Member

Ah, cheers for that, they look a bit more tempting now.

8. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

i need a sharpener

anybody know where i can get a gatco diamond kit that isnt rediculously priced in au or has rediculous shipping rates o/s?

9. caspian

caspian Member

10. david_345

david_345 Member

With these systems, wouldn't the size of the knife effect the angle the sharpener is striking the blade at?

How do you determine a 20 degree angle when you're sharpening a parer and then a chef's knife or a cleaver?

11. caspian

caspian Member

you would need to set the angle based on the distance from the base of the clamp to the edge, which will obviously vary with the chord of the blade you are sharpening.

12. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

i just came back from japan, the land of scary sharp knives and i spent about $1000 on knives and sharpening stones there!!

after a lot of expriementing, to get your knives to resonably sharp, you need a 220/1000/5000+ grit stone.

the secret is to spend some time on the corser stones and you will be able to get a better result at the end. I've tried a few of the pull through sharpeners in the past and they do not come anywhere close to the result you get from practise.

I have a shun kitchen knife and i can tell you its hard to sharpen because it uses an extremely hard stainless steel, it took about 30min to sharpen mine.

For the scary scary sharp knife (you will not need this for normal cooking) try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4--HIDogrc8

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  13. connico

connico Member

Show us the knives KEN!

14. Kenny12

Kenny12 Member

[​IMG]

a selection :D

15. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

$40 for shipping...

/le sigh, why couldnt i have thought of this a month ago while my fiancee was over there

16. connico

connico Member

Thats hot!.... I'm actually looking for a replacement Deba...hmmm

17. caspian

caspian Member

OK, $100 AUD shipped. http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.com.au/gatco-diamond-hone-sharpening-system

$31 cheaper than AKC, too.

the other possibility is a couple of us chuck in for a group buy, if enough people EOI I'll run it (if approved by Agg). doesn't have to be just sharpeners, anything from KCOTI that won't get me hassles with customs and isn't going to be a special that will expire while we sort it out.

18. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

im up for that if we get a discounted price, its $120 for the ultimate kit whereas in US its $80 + $40 shipping

19. Gaz

Gaz Member

My Head Chef uses the Furi Ozitech Knife Sharpener on the knives at work, he says it puts a wicked edge on them and then he finishes them off with the steel. sounds worse than fingernails on a chalkboard however.

20. lithos

lithos Member