shinobi xl dual 240 rads

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by rubixcube, Apr 24, 2012.

1. rubixcube

rubixcube Member

hey all

For my new build I am definitely set on the bitfenix shinobi xl - I think its a really nice looking case. I know it can fit a 240 rad on the top, and one on the bottom or front (with removal of hdd cage) so I'm looking at adding a GPU block and another 240 rad to my existing xspc rasa rx240 kit. Definitely running either a 2500K or 3570K(which I have seen produces a lot of heat, hence I want to run a rad between CPU and GPU).

This poses a couple of questions.

1. is the xspc pump strong enough for these additions?

2. is the best running order as follows:
    pump -> top rad -> cpu -> bottom/front rad -> gpu -> pump ?
    I'm just worried about this looking ugly due to the tube having to run from cpu out to bottom rad in, which is quite a distance. I'm positive someone else here would be running a similar loop in a similar sized case - perhaps someone could suggest an alternative loop (or possibly case, as long as it has a window and good cable management, and is around $200)?

3. where do I put my hard drives if I have to remove the cage? Or does it not have to be removed for front rads? I have 3 x 3.5 drives and an SSD (can use 3.5 adapter if necessary). Considering the reservoir takes up 2 drive bays, plus a dvd drive, that only leaves 2 x 5.25 bays.

Thanks!

2. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

ive just done a review of the Shinobi XL and am working on a few mods to it atm :D
    u can easy fit a 240 top bottom and front
    and that would leave the ODD bays free for res/hdds :thumbup:

i also think it would be possible to shift the hdd rack back a bit and still fit a front rad but not a floor one.
    how many hdds u got? u dont need an odd
    i have also seen a pair of ssds mounted to the back side of the odd bay.

xspc pump :thumbdn:
    loop order doesnt matter beyond res before pump
    make it as neat and easy as possible

Click to view full size!

3. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

I was just reading that actually, nice review for a nice case :)

shift it back as in with no modification to the case? care to try it out for me since you've got one? :p

what other pumps would fit inside the xpsc res (if any)?

I've got three HDDs and an SSD, but I'd kinda like to keep an optical drive, I know you can install windows from USB but I CBF.

"loop order doesnt matter beyond res before pump"

If the outlet of the CPU goes directly to inlet of the GPU, isnt this very inefficient? shouldnt there be a rad in between?

4. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

no u dont need a rad in between, temps equalise over the loop...
    the water has plenty of capacity

i am working on modding the XL to install a 140.3 in the front, or possibly a 200.

to move the hdd cage would only require drilling a few holes
    which xspc res and pump do u have? the x20 or the d5?

5. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

whichever one this is, looks like the x20

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_160_45&products_id=16619

so youre saying I could just run 2 rads in whatever sequence? Or do I not need 2 rads?

6. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

yeah thats an x20 750 :thumbdn:
    u will need 120.3 of rad for a cpu and gpu, minimum,
    so 120.4 or 2x240 will do the trick :thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

thumbs down because the pump doesnt provide enough head to pump through that combination of blocks/rads?
    I was looking at the price of the DDC pump and the XSPC res to fit, $100 for the pump and $50 for the res, considering I only paid $165 for my whole kit, that's a pretty large outlay :(

8. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

9. OP
    OP
    rubixcube

rubixcube Member

hmm well I might run it for a little while and see how my temps go, and then upgrade as necessary. thanks for all your help :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  10. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

good idea :thumbup:

11. desudesu

desudesu Member

listen to creekin :) watercooling (higher end wise) is still an expensive hobby, I kinda did the same as you, now just gathering parts such as pumps, rads and such to make my loop nicer, might even change out for a watercooled graphics card, but atm no cash to spend on the graphics.

12. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

lol. I started with my GPU... bought a basic swiftech kit with the pump built into the CPU block from here and just connected that to my GPU block :) I kept my H50 on the CPU until now. I recently bought a new XSPC Raystorm and XSPC X20 750 pump/res (same as OP I think). Will be getting a proper rad soon (currently in the post) and will eventually buy a new pump and res :thumbup:

on topic, +1 to listening to creekin. He's like a WC god here :lol:

A rule (sort of) with watercooling is have a minimum of a 240 rad with CPU and when you add something to the loop, you add another rad (which makes it a 360 rad then). eg. I have a CPU and GPU on a 240 slim. Worst thing possible imo being that temps aren't the best...

Hope this helps :thumbup:

13. VeritronX

VeritronX Member

The swiftech pump/cpu block combo uses a 10W ddc, you could just get a pump top for that and use it as a normal pump, they are pretty good. They can be modded to an 18W version pretty easily iirc, you just have to either short or un-short two pads that are next to each other. That combined with an xspc pump top/res would work nicely.

14. Reaper_1994

Reaper_1994 Member

yer, I have thought about it but I haven't put my thought into action yet... Hopefully it does better than my current pump. :Paranoid: