Shopping for new camera - first camera

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by walker43, Nov 13, 2017.

1. walker43

walker43 Member

Like a lot of others, get my photography fix from my iPhone, whilst it takes ok photos, they don't look so good once enlarged and printed.

Also want to get into a bit more art type photography using slower shutter speeds, tripods filters and polarizers but still keep the kit manageable to pop in backpack for walks and bike trails to get to the nice spots to photograph.

I like landscapes, images interesting buildings, oceans/rivers, macros of food, insects and things about the house.

Been looking for a few months, but there seems to be enough deals on at the moment with ebay 20% offs and manufactures bonus to take the plunge.

The Olympus e-m5ii looks like it can be had now for a shade over $1000 with a lense, but the d3400/d5600 looks like maybe an ok option. Canon also have the 200D and 800D for reasonable prices now. Have also thought about refurb, like the D5500 but too sure about this. I don't want to invest a huge amount into this to begin with, just something that's going to get me pics I cant really get with my phone.

Guess I'm just looking to be tipped in one direction or the other for a camera and lense/s, or are all the cameras I mention well suited and I should just go see what feels good in the hand.

Long winded, but just wanted ask you guys for your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  2. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Most people will tip you towards the direction they chose. Honestly, the cameras that you mentioned are pretty close and will all take pretty good photos with the required user input, i.e. you :). Something like one of the twin lens kit offers that most manufacturers have is a good starting point, the kit lenses are very decent these days and will give you a really wide range of focal lengths to shoot at.

I'd go and handle some of the cameras you're looking at and see which one feels more intuitive to use the controls on, i.e. take it out of auto mode. That said, if you're going into a shop and trying cameras, you should do the right thing and actually purchase it from them - rather than using them to try out a camera and then buying it online.

3. Athiril

Athiril Member

I found a D3200 + lens pretty cheap 2nd hand last year for a family member, maybe thats an option?

4. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Sony A6000, great entry level camera at bargain prices these days
    I personally find the EVF and WYSIWYG interface very helpful for people learning aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc
    Tilting screen is handy and the 24mp sensor is still quite good

5. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Honestly it doesn't matter what camera you pick at the start. It will be the same.

[​IMG]

fredhoon likes this.
  6. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Pretty much all of the cameras around that range have a guide mode anyway, they are all so similar the differences are slight at best. Your technique and shooting discipline will matter for more than the differences between cameras in that range basically.

To print stuff big you need nice and clean images, the sensor counts for some and lenses count for a LOT in terms of equipment, but your technique is more important than both. For example I have a shot (this one here) that I have printed at A2 size, and framed hanging on the wall and it was taken with a 12 megapixel camera - a Nikon D700, but also with a Nikon 14-24mm lens which is a $2.5k+ lens even back then in 2010. It looks very detailed and sharp at that A2 size as well, but that is also because I did everything that I could in terms of technique to make the shot as sharp and clean as possible. I used the lowest default ISO the camera could do (ISO200), I stopped the lens down to F8 to capture heaps of depth of field but not too far to start softening the image from diffraction, the camera was setup on a tripod and I used a remote cable release to fire the shutter. If I had've just stood there snapping away on auto mode with the camera handheld? I wouldn't have had a shot worth printing, especially not to that size.

7. metalrain

metalrain Member

I'd choose Sony E-Mount (like the a6000 posted above) right now. Sony comes out very often with new bodies that the superseded models become very affordable especially when pre-loved.

But that doesn't mean they're outdated, they usually have cutting edge features and performances that even more expensive Nikon or Canon DSLRs don't have.

You also have the option to adapt lenses from other platforms like Nikon or Canon.

8. JohnnyWazza

JohnnyWazza Member

As Frozen Hell said, people will tip in their known direction. So for me, that's another vote for the a6000. I only upgraded to it from the older gen Nex-6 in the last year, and that was more because I found a bargain than anything wrong with the Nex (I intended to sell it off, but instead walk around with the 2 bodies now :lol:).

The kit lens (or lenses if you choose to grab the 55-210 in the bundle) are more than enough to start with. If ya find you enjoy it and your technique starts comin together, can always grab some nicer lenses later.

I'm no pro like some of the guys here, but like to think I can take a reasonable shot. Just as a reference, all the photos in my sig were with Sony E, and most of them with the older Nex-6. Have printed a number of em for myself and have been more than happy with the results :thumbup:.

9. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

Yeah that end of the market is pretty similar with IQ etc.
    the wysiwyg though is different to a guide, when people physically see the changes as they make them its easier to "get" for some people.
    If the OP mentioned action/sports etc i would go for a DSLR, but the cheaper Sony E-mount cameras are very good, great IQ, can adapt nearly any bit of glass, nice manual focus aids etc.

I shoot an A7Rii and picked up an A6000 for a backup (selling off the A7ii) for $450 with 12 month warranty from Sony via ebay discount.
    Ridiculous value for money.
    Pickup the kit lens or the cheap but good 35/50mm primes - Sigma offer great little glass too.

10. OP
    OP
    walker43

walker43 Member

Interesting. Apreciate replies. Hadnt really looked at the a6000 as an option, but after these comments and seeing the pics from JohnnyWazza ive started to give plenty of thought to the little sony. It seems it will be a good step up from wat i use now and size will be a good thing for carrying in backpack.

So you guys rekon buy with kit lens or save the $150 odd dollars and buy body only and put that towards another lense option?

11. lonewolf1983

lonewolf1983 Member

the 16-50 power zoom isnt awful, and its nice and compact but if thats not a concern i'd personally put that money towards a fast prime or two

12. metalrain

metalrain Member

Starting off with the 16-50mm PZ OSS kit lens isn't always a bad option. Plus it's "cheap" enough to keep as a back-up and compact enough as a travel/pocket lens. Start off with that and once you think the lens is starting to limit your capabilities as a photographer then start looking at investing in more and better gear.

Be weary of G.A.S. though :Paranoid:

13. JohnnyWazza

JohnnyWazza Member

+1 to sticking with the kit unless you've used primes before, simply because you may not know what kind of focal length you prefer. It will certainly be a match for the iphone, and you'll start finding out if you like shooting wide or gettin up to the high end of the zoom.

My sony/Zeiss 24 1.8 is pretty much glued to the a6000 these days, it costs a motsa but is just freakin glorious to use. Would not have put down the money for it if I didn't know it was gonna be taking the bulk of my shots (side note: you also don't need to burn that much money for good lenses, the Sigma stuff is pretty fantastic I hear). But still, the basics of lighting & composition will make far more impact to your shots than the glass, at least at the start.

14. metalrain

metalrain Member

And once you're interested in primes, definitely take a look at old lenses from different mounts and adapting them. Some absolute gems out there for a bargain!

15. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

16. OP
    OP
    walker43

walker43 Member

Cheers for the heads up on the deal. Just looking at the good guys ebay store, can apply the PHOTO code to get 10% off bringing camera/lens down to $796 delivered. Just wondering if id be able to claim my gift card. Goodguys is listed as an authorised seller, but sony says no ebay discount stores.

17. metalrain

metalrain Member

If you can wait, there should be some really nice bargains closer to and after Christmas during Boxing Day sales. I managed to get a Canon EOS M3 and 18-55mm STM IS kit for around $300 after cashbacks last year :D