Shopping tips for Retro Games in Japan (Osaka Region)

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Alessiman, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

All the English google searches on Retro Gaming in Japan seem to bring up the same 3-4 stores for Retro Gaming with the usual suspects for Tokyo being

Super Potato
    Friends
    Mandarake
    Retro Game Camp
    Book Off
    Traders

And recently Beep and Surgaya-Ya

For Osaka we have

Super Potato
    A-Too
    Retro Game Revival
    Book Off

My suspicions is that's where most tourists end up as that's that Google is pointing everyone too. However, you are good with yahoo maps japan and/or have the hotel concierge mark where you need to go on a print out. I have found two places - Surugaya (Kyoto) and Ojamakan my goto spots for Retro Gaming goodness while in the Osaka Area.

Surugaya is located about 1/2 way between Osaka and Kyoto and is by far the cheapest place i have seen for quality consoles and software. It's in a suburb/town called Takatsuki and about 5 min walk from the Station. To get there take any JR rapid train to Kyoto and Takatsuki should be the 1st stop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some examples

Bandai Playdia - Y2280
    PC-Engine (Boxed) - Y5980
    Fighting Stick for 3DO - Y1100
    Boxed Neo Geo (i think CD) - Y14,480
    Boxed PC-FX - Y7970
    PC-Engine Duo - Y15000
    Boxed Sega Saturns - From Y5000

I picked up 3 mint Sega 32X Games as well as a PC Engine CDROM2 for about $AU110 but was tempted to get the Playdia just as it was so cheap!

[​IMG]

Ojamakan

http://www.ojamakan.com/

Ojamakan are like a local rental video game chain in the Osaka Region. I visited 4 of the locations listed on there website (website is in Japanese only). I got the hotel to print off maps of the nearest station to each store and most where within 5 minute walk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My bargain here was an immaculate Sega Mark III for $200. The most important thing to me was that both joysticks still have the knobs intact. For those that know the Mark III these are always missing

I also picked up an FM Synthesizer from A-Too for Y5000.

For those heading to Japan for retro shopping. Hope this is of some help

fredhoon, clonex, Agg and 4 others like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Brilliant, thank you for posting.

I'm headed to Japan in March, and have three days in Tokyo to cram in some retro console shopping. My limited information had me headed tot Super Potato and Hard Off, but this is heaps more information.

My shopping list so far is

* Sega SG-1000
    * Sega SC-3000
    * Namco Guncon 3
    * Sega MegaCD
    * AV Famicom (top loader)
    * PC Engine CDROM

3. OP
    OP
    Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I guess you don't want to know that have a NOS Sega SC-3000? :D

I would try (in this order)

Friends, Surgaya, Beep then Super Potato. Also Super Potato has two locations. One in Akiharbara and another in Ikebukuro.

Friends has a Sega Mega CD for Y11000 when i was there but as i already have the unit i didn't pick it up.

The Namco Guns are cheap! Less then Y1000 but..... you might have issues with customs as they are black and have no orange tip

elvis likes this.
  4. darkjedi

darkjedi Member

Yikes. Might as well add a Sharp X68000 to that list and complete the "really bloody expensive to get" collection ;)

5. elvis

Happy to spend "white guy in Japan" prices on these. Compare and contrast to here in Australia, where things are 5-10 times the price currently.

While I'm happy others are enjoying retro gaming as much as I have for a number of years, we're currently seeing an explosion of people who are just flipping stuff on eBay for a few bucks profit, and not at all contributing to the larger community. I'm not interested in supporting them financially, so I'll take my money overseas instead.

I always find that a bit ridiculous. Clearly these things are giant plastic toys. Hell, I'll happily spray paint them bright pink to get them through customs.

6. darkjedi

darkjedi Member

Nggg yeah. While I'm not above flipping common stuff because people still go apeshit over them (like seriously. If you want to give me $160 for an N64 with goldeneye, I won't say no - it's funds towards my next flash cart or OSSC etc!), I don't particuly enjoy dealing with those who only chase the mighty dollar. Just glad we've got scant few left in Hobart who care about it now as the local buy/sell scene is a bit dead & things aren't moving remotely as well as they had been.

7. elvis

I would. I'd tell them to stop driving the price of stuff up, and pay sensible prices for it elsewhere.

8. OP
    OP
    Alessiman

Alessiman Member

Beep had a couple of X68000 for sale. From memory they were in the 600-700 dollar range. There was a bunch of software for sale as well

darkjedi likes this.
  9. elvis

I'm not desperate for an X68000 to be honest. Wasn't a lot of software on it that I'd want to try out. I don't speak Japanese, so playing endless Japanese RPGs isn't of interest. The X68000 had heaps of great arcade ports, but I'd rather play the arcade originals to be honest.

About the only thing that would interest me would be using some sort of Midi system on the X68000, and hearing all those arcade games through different Midi processors. But honestly, I can listen to most of that on YouTube for the few minutes worth of novelty it would provide.

Right now, the Guncon3 is my biggest want. I can't find one anywhere in AU for a reasonable price, and I love lightgun games. My PS3 is screaming to play Time Crisis 4.

Second to that is the AV Famicom. I have a PAL NES, but 50Hz gaming sucks.

10. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

The retro marketplace scene in Hobart is pretty dead. Not that I have been looking much lately.

11. elvis

Brisbane retro scene sucks. There's been one individual who's been running around buying everything, hoarding it, and then doing these massive retro markets at crazy inflated prices.

With that said, he's selling a million copies of common-as-mud shit, so it seems like it's not turning out so valuable for him, once you count the hours he must have spent so far on it all.

12. Krumm

Krumm Member

Dark looks to have taken up the torch of late for us slackers, admittedly I stopped trawling markets a long time ago also.

Great post and thanks for sharing Alessiman.

13. alvarez

alvarez Member

A-too is definitely worth stopping at. Its country wide aswell.
    Kanteidan is my pick, but they are only in central Japan, not very touristy. http://e-kanteidan.com/store-list/
    If you are really keen there is one in walking-ish distance of Shizuoka station, which the Hikari Shinkansen stops at. Its defiantly not a tourist town so I cant really recommend it as a stop

Also trader 3 in Akihabra has a decent retro floor, they are cheaper than Superpotato too but who isnt.

14. OP
    OP
    Alessiman

Alessiman Member

One of my fav Youtubers did a segment on Kanteidan. And i agree, great selection of games at great prices

15. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

Any of the above mentioned Japanese stores have online stores that ship to Australia, for those of us who aren't able
    to get Japan anytime soon?

16. elvis

From what I can tell, they don't seem terribly interested.

I tend to keep an eye out on eBay, and every now and then you find folks shipping from Japan. Few and far between, but easy to notice when they're all shipping Japanese hardware, and their prices are 1/3 as much as Australian sellers.

17. darkmenace

darkmenace Member

I figured as much. Thanks Elvis.

18. Kosti

Kosti Member

Thanks for this, its on my bucket list!

elvis likes this.
  19. FOXH0UND

FOXH0UND Member

I was in Japan in January 2016, found a neat place in Akihabara in Tokyo, was a multistory game shop with Arcades up the top.

[​IMG]

20. elvis

You just described every retro gaming store in Tokyo. :lol: