Short music film I generated in C++

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by metamorphosis, Oct 17, 2018.

1. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I made this 2007, generating the footage in C++ and cutting it together with premiere to make a 15-minute EP for this album.

Unfortunately I made it in SD, so getting it to look good on youtube has been impossible.
    However this year I discovered Waifu2x, a neural-net-based resizing algorithm designed for upscaling terrible anime. It's pretty impressive. With it I was able to resize the video to 4k without artifacts, and now it's on youtube here:

Unfortunately youtube's low bitrate still turns it to mush at parts, even in 1080p. So here's a download link for the full 3GB 4k video, if you want it:
    https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1nTvB_ltQtomRy8co-p8ffTtItqbuuwsf

More details on my dev-blog here: https://plflib.org/blog.htm

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. callan

callan Member

Pulled down the video and watched it just now. Reminded me a bit of cthugha, and I found it really interesting. C++ - a brave choice:p
    I can see a lot of work went into it and it worked really well.

Callan

3. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Nice - I had to look up cthugha to find out what it was :D
    I'm doing a bunch of visualisations for songs with electric sheep and milkdrop2 - you might like those also. Example.

4. elh9

elh9 Member

That's really cool. I'd be interested in seeing the code base! Any chance you wanna open source it? :p

zeeps likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Oh man! That might take some hunting. But also, each visual style tended to be a separate .cpp, so it'd be tricky. Maybe someday as a preset for winamp?
    Also, some of it wouldn't work on a modern OS.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    elh9 likes this.
  6. elh9

elh9 Member

All good :D Definitely package it up as a visualization preset

7. Luke212

Luke212 Member

loved the old demo scene ;)

8. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

The demoscenes' still pretty amazing, just more hi-def:

But I think there's an acceptance nowadays that 'you can do anything with computers' visually, so it's not as surprising as some of that old stuff used to be?

9. Silenius

Silenius Member

The music is really interesting, are you using max/msp or something? Parts of it sound kind of procedural, Autechre-ish (in terms of the sounds more than the composition)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  10. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Thank you!
    I use tracktion and a variety of synths (mostly freeware ones). No procedural-generation, I must just be boring and predictable :lol:

11. Silenius

Silenius Member

haha fair enough, i havent really been exposed to tracktion, i might have a look out of interest. honestly anything can work just fine. but max is a different thing, need to try learn it one day