Short music film I generated in C++

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by metamorphosis, Oct 17, 2018.

1. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I made this 2007, generating the footage in C++ and cutting it together with premiere to make a 15-minute EP for this album.

Unfortunately I made it in SD, so getting it to look good on youtube has been impossible.
    However this year I discovered Waifu2x, a neural-net-based resizing algorithm designed for upscaling terrible anime. It's pretty impressive. With it I was able to resize the video to 4k without artifacts, and now it's on youtube here:

Unfortunately youtube's low bitrate still turns it to mush at parts, even in 1080p. So here's a download link for the full 3GB 4k video, if you want it:
    https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1nTvB_ltQtomRy8co-p8ffTtItqbuuwsf

More details on my dev-blog here: https://plflib.org/blog.htm

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  2. callan

callan Member

Pulled down the video and watched it just now. Reminded me a bit of cthugha, and I found it really interesting. C++ - a brave choice:p
    I can see a lot of work went into it and it worked really well.

Callan

3. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Nice - I had to look up cthugha to find out what it was :D
    I'm doing a bunch of visualisations for songs with electric sheep and milkdrop2 - you might like those also. Example.

4. elh9

elh9 Member

That's really cool. I'd be interested in seeing the code base! Any chance you wanna open source it? :p

zeeps likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

Oh man! That might take some hunting. But also, each visual style tended to be a separate .cpp, so it'd be tricky. Maybe someday as a preset for winamp?
    Also, some of it wouldn't work on a modern OS.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    elh9 likes this.
  6. elh9

elh9 Member

All good :D Definitely package it up as a visualization preset