Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by ThankDog, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger Member

I use istat menus and have for the last couple of years. I had an issue with my work laptop where it would sit around 50 or so then shoot up to 90 and sit there for ages. I cleaned out all the dust and crap and made a new user profile to test and bang temps dropped like a stone. When 10.9 came out i did a complete fresh install the temps go up and down all the time but i have found that if i keeps the fans running quite fast most of the time my temps stay around the 55 to 60 range.

2. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

So, after a lot of research and some haphazard experimentation and guesswork, I'm pretty sure I know what's wrong. It seems it's not temperature related at all and is probably some sort of corrupt GPU driver or colour profile. The problem only crops up when I do image editing or watch high resolution movies. It's almost immediate in the case of watching movies. I don't generally watch movies on the computer and there seems to be a bit of a delay between doing image editing and the problem occurring (like a minute or two) so that is maybe why I haven't made the connection yet. But since realising it I've been able to replicate the error on cue and been able to go without any errors by avoiding doing those things.

I'm trying to back-up my stuff at the moment and will do a fresh install afterwards. Hopefully that fixes the issue and with the cleanout (which I haven't had the balls to do yet, but have all the gear to do it so I really should) of dust I'm hoping to get at least another year or so out of this box.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

Well... that didn't work. Immediately after wiping the HD and, as I was doing the reinstall, the graphics glitch occurred again and prevented me from putting in my user data after the annoying Snow Leopard introduction video (which strangely enough played without a glitch).

Then, after half a dozen restarts into Safe Mode (the method previously that somehow seemed to temporarily fix it), it was still doing it. Then I repaired permissions and restarted again and now it's "working".

This is all very bizarre to me. I would've thought a 100% clean install would fix it but it didn't. So that would suggest it's GPU related. But then repairing permissions in Safe Mode seems to have temporarily fixed it again. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until it glitches again but now I'm not even sure what is setting it off as I've avoided all the things that previously did it. I'm actually now suspecting that it's something Quartz related as the problem seemed to get progressively worse as I was updating through the OS iterations to Mavericks.

Sigh. I think it's time to give up on it entirely and just source a new (second-hand) PC. So... what's cheap this time of year?

4. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

I would suggest reading through this Apple support page on how to run the Apple Hardware Test tools for your particular iMac model: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

Clearing your PRAM & SMC may also address the issue.

5. OP
    OP
    ThankDog

Cool, thanks, I'll try those when I'm ready.

EDIT: Ok, so I just tried that 'cause it glitched again and nothing happens. I followed it to the letter, disconnecting everything and whatnot. Does it require a USB keyboard? I've got the wireless BT one and it doesn't seem to be registering me holding down the D key.

Here's another example of how bad it gets. Imagine every window or menu I click on glitching like this without warning. Everything will be fine and then one click and it all goes to Heck:

Click to view full size!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  6. Paronga

Paronga Member

sometimes i get similar things on my mac pro which has a super old and dying GFX card. I allways thought that is the cause of it.

I thought i read revently that apple was doing a recall of 2011 imacs for GFX issues?

7. damo13579

damo13579 Member

OP states 2009.
    2011 models have issues with the AMD 6970s in 27 inch

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Maybe its been infected by a worm?

9. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

That's bad video RAM.

I'd say that the reason playing a video or doing graphics editing triggers the problem is that the video RAM used in day-to-day tasks (the "start" of the vRAM for want of a better term) is fine, but starting those programs allocates more vRAM, using the faulty stuff, which then proceeds to break everything.