Should I clean my PC? [Added Cleaned Pics]

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by SR20DETDOG, Feb 2, 2011.

Tags:
  1. SR20DETDOG

SR20DETDOG Member

I'm just wondering if this is an acceptable level of dust in my PC. Do think I should give it a clean or it's alright. If it's not too bad I just leave it be for another 5 years! :lol:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, is it time for a clean? :p

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

YES! Fair bit of dust in that mate. Pretty silly question to be honest. Have seen worse (was like carpet, peeled it out, took it outside and set it on fire and said to the client - "Imagine that fire, in your PC")

Dust = Bad

3. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

That's a pretty fair effort lol.

4. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

That's not dust. It's special protecting film that prevents rust and wear on the outer casing of the components!

I don't think OP is serious however.

5. ragequit

ragequit Member

na she'l be right

6. japes

japes Member

yeah get the hose out and give it a good jet

7. OP
    OP
    SR20DETDOG

SR20DETDOG Member

Definitely not!

Tbh I knew jack about computer hardware 2 months ago. Back then as far as I was concerned computers could go dirty if they didn't want to keep themselves clean. I've already started cleaning it though, just so you don't come at me with pitchforks!

Thought it might make everyone else here feel better about their own PC's :p

8. peteed1985

peteed1985 Member

are you meant to according to guidelines for PC maintenance clean your PC out for dust with something like compressed air at least every 6 months?

YES!!!

do 99% of the so called "smart people" do it?

HELL NO!!! (and even less of the non smarts do it)

i'm sad to say I fall into the fail group here :(

9. AudioFX

AudioFX Member

I went to clean out my computer last weekend to find out something is wrong with the air compressor and it's not pumping out air any faster than me blowing... :upset:

10. OP
    OP
    SR20DETDOG

SR20DETDOG Member

I was quite impressed with the way the dust had filled all the gaps of the CPU cooler. Even more impressive is the way I've run games like Race Driver Grid and Borderlands on this thing on 35*C days without it over heating.

11. Mat Pav

Mat Pav Member

Holy Shit! How did you do that!? Is that like 15+ years without cleaning?

12. d1ng0d4n

d1ng0d4n Member

Going by the OP, I'm gunna say 5 years. That PC-Dust-Carpet I mentioned before, that was 3 years of buildup. Granted it was on the floor with 2 dogs and a cat that all stayed inside (the cat was the boss, funnily enough). And no one there ever worked a vacuum lol

13. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I cleaned my PC (two weekends ago) after about 9-12 months of build up and it wasn't quite as bad but almost there. I'd recommend changing the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU (if there is a GPU). I usually do it when I clean my PC and temps usually drop quite a bit. During winter my GPU used to idle on 55-60°C with 50% fan speed. On a day like today where it's 30°C outside and 32-36°C in my room my GPU sits on 50-55°C with 50% fan speed no problems.

14. OP
    OP
    SR20DETDOG

SR20DETDOG Member

A lot of hard work and dedication, I wasn't very good at first, I didn't know really know what I was doing. After a while though you get the hang of it. I practiced on horizontal surfaces just trying to build up a decent layer. It's reasonably easy to move onto verticle surfaces once you have that down. There is a bit of an art to getting the dust to stick upside down though, that took a year or so to master. After that I just honed my skills and built it up.

Thanks for complements though, it really make this worthwhile.

On a serious not I think it's been 5 years, maybe 6, I do live in a very dusty area though.

Changing the thermal paste does seem like a good idea, however, cleaning this mess is the most I've ever done to computer so I don't really trust myself enough yet. Taking out screws and putting them back in I can do. Btw there is a GPU it's just upside down, odd now that I think about it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  15. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

The graphics card is upside down?

Also look into how to guides on how to change the thermal paste on the processor and graphics. It's not very difficult but can be a tad annoying, still it's something that I personally think should be done every 18-24 months at the least.
    I do it for free on all the computers I've built for customers.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  16. OP
    OP
    SR20DETDOG

SR20DETDOG Member

I think so:confused:

The plastic cover with fan, cooling fins etc is on the bottom on the horizontal card. Which I just realised can't be seen in the pics.

17. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Fan should be on the bottom. Naked PCB on the top :)

EDIT: As long as you've got a standard tower case lol.

18. OP
    OP
    SR20DETDOG

SR20DETDOG Member

Uh, yeah, I knew that! I was just testing you... yeah, a test.:Paranoid:

19. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

My apologies, was being skeptical :p With very little number of posts, was thinking maybe a troll. I don't chase ya'll with pitchforks, God blessed me with guns (and a licence) then again I should clean mine more regularly. I do externals and dust filters weekly, internals once a month and strip and proper clean each year around christmas.

How many dead bugs/spider did you find? Mine always has a few (must love the PSUs heat) when I strip her down. Just grab some varying sized brushes and go to a hardware store for some compressed air -- or buy a small compressor unit like I did and just go crazy.

20. Kie

Kie Member

Holy crap!! I get concerned when i thin layer of dust is on my fans. Like, very thin!

How'd you manage not to break something?!