1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Should I learn vanilla Gimp or PhotoGimp? Wife is graphic designer in Ps

Discussion in 'Graphic Design & Digital Art' started by Crewcut, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Crewcut

Crewcut Member

My wife is a graphic designer - so should I learn PhotoGimp so I can ask her for help sometimes?

But is PhotoGimp on a secure development pathway - how many people developing it?

Should I go PhotoGimp or stick to vanilla for secure long-term knowledge of Gimp?

Or should Gimp transform to work a bit more like Photoshop?

2. mr camouflage

mr camouflage Member

Photogimp, gimpshop etc are gimp, but modified to mimic the photoshop interface (layout of menus tools, etc). Its for people that want to switch from photoshop, but don't want to learn a new interface/app.

Does your wife use photoshop?
    Do you plan on switching to photoshop?

If yes, then probably learn of the gimp-photoshop-clone apps (not gimpshop though, its obsolete).
    If no, then go with standard gimp.

3. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I use photoshop at home and gimp at work. I'm not an advanced user but manage to maintain the two toolsets separately in my mind. I wasn't aware of PhotoGimp etc.

4. boneburner

boneburner Member

Another alternative is to go the cloud route with Photopea - which is basically an ad supported Photoshop clone, but online. I've also used it when other peoples machines dont have any graphics software installed.

link: Photopea

doug81 likes this.
  5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

With Canva in the news lately, is that an option? Haven't looked into it in any detail but it's an easy to use image editor, isn't it?

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Are you looking at GIMP because it's free-as-in-freedom or because it doesn't cost money?

If you don't need open-source free I'd seriously suggest you look at paying for Affinity Photo. $85 AUD at full price, though it often goes on sale for better than that. Perpetual license, no subscription bullshit. Easily covers the 80% of Photoshop that people actually use.

7. doug81

doug81 Member

Nice one - I've been tinkering with GIMP but I've never been a huge fan as I'm a bit more comfortable with PS and there's just some things that can be a PITA (seriously, drawing a simple shape is surprisingly convoluted). Will be giving Photopea a good go, looks pretty popular over on Reddit - and built by just 1 guy, impressive!