Should I replace my seemingly immortal PSU?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by Deus_Ex_Machina, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

As I go to leave my PC on overnight to download some stuff it occurs to me my mighty little Corsair HX-620 (Seasonic built from memory) PSU has been powering my various rigs for approx 10 years and powered an extraordinary amount of gaming and encoding in that time. I suppose my question is should I consider a pre-emptive replacement or just keep on going until it finally gives up? Is this risky to other componentry?

My system isn't enormously hungry. Now pretty old 2600K @4.0Ghz / GTX970 / 16GB DDR3 /1X SSD and 3X HDD's and a few fairly low RPM 120mm fans.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  2. havabeer

havabeer Member

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

rage and ruffdayz like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I just dug the electronic copy of the invoice out. July 2009. Now that's a well built piece of gear.

Havabigjuan likes this.
  4. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I have heard of psus dying and taking out other components with them. Why not sell it before it dies?

5. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

sure is. i also have one from 2008 still in use. corsair hx 850W. the occurrences of any catastrophic failures is very rare in psu's. they usually just die in unspectacular fashion as a component wears out....diodes capacitors resistors what have you...

that being said. 10 years is enough to justify an upgrade. imo.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 7:46 AM
  6. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I have been out of it a while, back in the day I remember horror stories of yum cha PSU's taking out boards etc. Quality ones though is this a true risk or as above do they tend to just fizzle and die? It's not like my system is cutting edge $5000 of components.

7. Lord Belial

Lord Belial Member

I have had a few PSUs die (including, surprisingly, a couple of Seasonics) and they have never taken anything out. Just bang, poof, compy off. Replace, everything is right as rain.

I'd be inclined to keep going with it. All the PSU's I've had die were within the first few years.

8. WooKiE_MaN

WooKiE_MaN Member

I to have the Corsair 620,i use them in 4 of my machines.
    2x in my file server and one in my both of my kids machines.
    Great PSU's, dont change it if it isnt broke!!!

Akh-Horus likes this.
  9. Bion1c

Bion1c Member

ensure you have a data backup regime in place then just run it till it dies :)

adamsleath likes this.
  10. cvidler

cvidler Member

PSU's are designed to fail safely (as are all consumer electrical items).

Assuming you don't have the cheapest/nastiest PSU where they've cut corners on the safety mechanisms, it's exceedingly rare for a PSU to kill downstream components - lightning strikes aside, not much can stop damage from lighning.

I'd keep using it until it dies without worry.
    the PSU in my desktop is a 10+ year old Thermaltake unit, IIRC it's first job was powering a P4 3.06, or maybe my dual tualatin rig.

11. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

It's a bit of an impossible question, a well built piece of electronics could last decades and there will be edge cases that could go for a hundred years. People are still using Commodores built in the late 70's and early 80's, the US Air Force is using planes built in the 50's.

You could buy your shiny new PSU and it could blow up because of a faulty design or construction and take your entire PC with you. Or 10 years and 1 day into it's life the existing PSU could do the exact same thing. Or they both could last another 30 years at 24/7 operation.

If you don't have any reason like visible corrosion, noises (assuming they aren't from a fan that you could replace, I did that to an old Antec PSU in their super sized form factor that died immediately), then there's no particular reason to replace it if it's still doing it's job.

That said, I'd be inclined to have budgeted for a replacement after this long at your next major upgrade, new build or case switch. I'd keep it in storage though because I think if it's lasted this long it could still do a job in another system at some point (or an emergency backup).

12. ruffdayz

ruffdayz Member

I've still got one of the original Thermaltake Toughpower 750w PSUs rocking around in an older PC I have. That's about 12-13 yrs old now and still has same output as when new.

13. ecroF

ecroF Member

I had a similar vintage TT psu. The fan was noisy so I decided to crack it open and replace the fan (and blow out the dust). Some iof ther Bigger Caps were poped out with dielectric fluid leaking from them, so I replaced it.

14. OP
    OP
    Deus_Ex_Machina

Deus_Ex_Machina Member

I'm pretty good when it comes to data backup so will prob just run it inot the ground or until I upgrade the major system components again :)

15. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

I had one that I traded on the forums with my Haswell build, never a problem with it though I did read a review years ago, their sample was outputting 740 watts and not tripping any protections maybe just over engineered.

16. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

One of the features of living in Perth. Our higher mains voltage fries everything way sooner.

17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I had this very question last year. A deal came up on an excellent psu so after being a brilliant piece of hardware for a long time i thought it was time to retire it and use it as a backup. I say OP if you get a good deal go for it.

Havabigjuan likes this.