1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Should the sale of raw milk remain illegal?

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by damn duck, Aug 16, 2013.

1. damn duck

damn duck Member

"Raw Milk" refers to milk that has not gone through the mandatory pasteurisation process that heats and treats the milk. This drastically changes the milk's taste, consistency and kills off any microbes that may be present that could cause health issues.

The reasoning behind this is because in the early 1900's, raw milk carried microbes that caused a lot of health issues including death. Obviously since then, standards and medicine have improved.

Should the sale of raw milk remain illegal? What do you think?

2. ph3var

ph3var Member

I think people should have the choice to purchase milk how ever they want to but their own risk.
    There would have to some sort of legislation to clear the producer of any wrong doing from anyone getting sick due to consumption of raw milk tho, otherwise no producer would take the risk to sell it and get sued.

3. Revenge

Revenge Member

The simple question that needs to be answered "do the benefits outweigh the risks".

O.P has not presented any benefits, as such this seems to be little more than a 'personal freedoms' rant based in little more than "but I want it !!!"

4. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Why the hell should the government cover the cost of liability cause someone wants something that could directly kill them and fast?

5. ThankDog

ThankDog (Banned or Deleted)

If there is a safe way to produce and distribute raw milk and it can be regulated for safety, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But just buying it from any Joe Blow farmer... no.

6. power

power Member

Applying common sense I think we could all agree with this way of thinking.

7. OP
    OP
    damn duck

damn duck Member

I'd trust a local farmer I know and choose to do business with, over the mass produced chalk water that is sold in supermarkets. I'm not a milk expert, so I'd leave the harvesting and bottling to the farmer and pay him whatever we agree is fair.

Why should the private business between me and the farmer be subject to criminal prosecution? Does anyone see how ludicrous it is that the government is involved in milk?

8. garetz

garetz Member

Raw milk gets a bad rap, back in the early 1900s, they had no clue what was going on. Basically with todays technology and innovation we wouldnt have the same effects as back then. It just requires very high standard of care for handling and processing.

If the correct system was put in place, then there wouldnt be a problem with selling raw milk.

9. Revenge

Revenge Member

Because if the farmer sells you something, that historically has a high likelihood of causing you serious illness... who is going to have to pick up the tab for your immeadiate and potentially ongoing health issues as a result?

10. lithos

lithos Member

Yup.

How about them fuckin' seatbelts, eh? Damn gubmint wants to stop me flyin' through the windscreen - that's my business!

11. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

As Free Man On the Land, I drink milk straight from the Cows Udder, no government can stop me.

12. ThankDog

I agree. I also think that the more drunk you are while driving, the less of a fine you should have for not wearing your seatbelt.

13. tailspin

tailspin Member

You been to a real dairy mate?

Local farmers are not milk experts - they are experts in getting grass turned into milk.

Milk companies are milk experts. They know how to keep the stuff from killing great swathes of people.

Ensuring food safety is not easy or cheap.

Seriously, if you want an unregulated food market, just head off to Somalia (take the rest of the Libertarians with you) to see how life works when governments don't regulate things.

14. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Has it? You know for a fact that it has?

15. The Wolf

The Wolf Member

Screw the government nanny state, I can test my own food for botulism

16. ThankDog

Let me know when you die so that I can avoid that batch :)

17. omghi

omghi Member

I don't really care one way or another about raw milk in cartons but please please please let me eat the raw milk cheeses.

18. matthew-r88

matthew-r88 Member

OK ppl straight from the cows tit here.........

Grew up on a dairy farm and in 20 years seen alot of improvements to both the quality and cleanliness of the milk for want of a better term.

quick few industry points.

Pasturisation is a process where milk is heated and then cooled to kill bacteria. while this is done on a commercial scale it is also partially done by the farmer.

The milk passes through a filter (which have also gone from these material things you had to clean out and replace weekly to paper style ones that are replaced after every milking, think coffee filter). to facilitate this the milk is warm as it enters and is cooled to around 0 degrees to allow the milk to thicken slightly which causes more of the foriegn bodies to be removed.

also the cleanlieness of the cows teets and the equipment around is a factor.

my great grandfather had a milking machine that used wooden bellows to extract the milk. guessing they werent overly hygenic. now adays everything in a dairy is also sterilised and made of much better quatilty rubbers and high quality stainless steel as well now adays cows teets are sprayed with a iodine style solution on exit to help reduce bacteria levels. none of this happened in the 80s

as far as bacteria content goes. most ppl probably dont know farmers dont get paid on the quantity of thier milk they get paid for quality of it.

Higher fat contents (for cheese production) and low bacteria counts is what puts you in a higher pay rate for your milk. its in every farmers best interests to make the process as clean as possible

everyday the milk is collected. a sample is taken (like ur urine bottles) and marked for each property this is analysed by the supplier.

poor bacteria results can lead to lower prices or a temporary ban on that dairies milk. no farmer wants that

In conclusion. I drank raw milk all my life cant say its ever hurt me or anyone in my family.

there are some health factors to be taken into it. the posibilty of bactiera affecting unborn childrens imune system.

all in all its something that could probably be relooked at but wont ever be its just one of the things thats in place and will stay there forever

dont think selling a couple of litres to your neighbours requires a spanish inquisition but government agencies being what they are trying to reason them is like trying to drink soup with a wisk.

19. zbone

zbone Member

Apparently, Australian botulism is very very special. From Europe Australia appears so much close-minded and backwards regarding raw milk it's not even funny. Mandatory pasterisation is actually to the benefit of large scale milk producers because it allows them to save on hygiene of their production. They can worry much less about quality of their raw milk as it's ought to be pasterised anyway.

20. power

power Member

it's like matthew-r88's post doesn't exist or something.

It's also amusing to me as well that every time someone has something negative to say they resort to calling those who would drink raw milk as "backwards" or "morons" etc. Insulting those who know better than you due to your ability to quote google doesn't make you look smart, it makes YOU look close-minded and backwards.

Not one person has advocated stopping modern milk processing, not one.