show me your Guitars

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by karl, Jun 12, 2002.

1. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Yep, seen a couple of these and most common is the bridge snapping.

Definitely not a good idea unless you have a reinforced neck and you use low tension strings like 10s. That should be fine in most cases.

2. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

I've never seen that (and I call shenanigans on it - more likely someone dropped it on the headstock or it fell heavily sometime before and weakened it), but I've seen plenty of nylon string guitar bridges separate from the body due to steel strings being used.

Either way, I wouldn't do it don't do it.

3. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Probably, but i've seen some pretty badly made nylon acoustics. Cheese would likely hold the necks on better than the glue they used.

4. BLuFFaLo

BLuFFaLo Member

Possibly - I don't know how it was treated before or how old it was or even if it was any decent quality, I was pretty young and it was long before I ever got my first guitar, but the neck definately was "peeling" forwards as the strings were tightened.

5. AussieSausage

AussieSausage (Banned or Deleted)

I'll post some pics when my coloured strings arrive :D

6. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Did someone say more RG's?

The four switches between the volume and tone select how the pickups are wired (two for each humbucker).
    Both switches down - Humbucking wired in Series
    One down- Single coil (on the switch that's down).
    Both Up - Humbucking wired in parallel.

The 5 way switcher has been modified so that forwards is the neck pickup, next position is both pickups in series, next two positions are the bridge pickup, and the last position is both pickups in parallel.

Tone knob is a coil tap type. Pulling it up (away from the body), changes the phase of the neck pickup.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking of getting a pack of fluro strings to put on this bad boy.

Love Ibanez necks, but I'm not a fan of trems. It's blocked off, but I am thinking about sanding it back, blocking the holes and putting a new solid bridge in. :lol:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  7. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

How could you not be a fan of their trems? The edge and lo-pro are the best trems made imo. The ZR is pretty awesome too.

That looks sweet though :D

8. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

It just sucks way too much sustain in my opinion. And I have had the trem replaced two times, as it just kept "wearing a grove" (that's what I was told), and it would never go back to the same spot (tune wise) from an up or down bend.

I was thinking about getting one of the brass block upgrades for it, apparently that gives it a bit more sustain. But it doesn't negate the fact it wont stay at the same pitch from an up or down bend.

9. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

What bridge?

10. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Looks to be the Edge III (from looking on Wikipedia.)

Would I be able to just upgrade it to a new trem do you think? Something like the ZR?

EDIT: Apparently the ZR would require drastic surgery to fit in... Although I can pickup a complete kit on ebay for $200 which isnt too bad...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2011
  11. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

Edge III's aren't real trems :lol:

Go for the Edge or Lo-Pro. Even Edge Pros are good quality too. Basically any of the models that come from the top end jap guitars.

ZR is a completely different style of trem (used ball bearings instead of the knife edge pivots). Too difficult.

I *think* an edge pro bridge should drop straight into a edge III cavity. The edge pro is what came on prestige RG's from about 2003 - 2010.

12. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Yeah it's pretty rubbish :upset: I might just try replacing it with an original edge then, and see how it goes.

13. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

You'll definitely need to do some routing to fit an original edge.

This is probably a discussion for a different thread anyway :p

14. Willybomb

Willybomb Member

Is that a megadrive in the bridge?

15. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Crunch Lab

And yes, I might start a new thread about it haha :lol:

16. nitro_jawt

nitro_jawt Member

I dunno how hard they are to find, but if you can get an Edge Zero, they have the advantage of the ZPS that the ZR has, which gives ultimate tuning stability - you are supposed to be able to break a string with the ZPS and not have the catastrophic tuning failure you have on most floating trems... It does make the trem stiffer to use, but personally I love it - and so easy to tune too!

17. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

Nice, I will look into it. Sounds Like a good option, and Stiffness isn't an issue if it holds tune and has better sustain. ;)

18. sandwichamwin

sandwichamwin Member

It's a completely different rear cavity design though so it would require a bit of routing. It all depends on how keen you are with tools.

19. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

This needs a new thread already haha.

I have been doing a LOT of reading, and I have decided the reason the edge 3 has gone bad on me is my own fault. The metals used in the trem itself, and the pegs are of low quality. And by screwing them up and down to get the action right when tuned and there is tension, has destroyed both the knife edge and the peg grove. Apparently screwing them even slightly when there is tension is an absolute no no with any floyd style trem.

A possible solution I might have is to put new pegs in, and try sharpening the knife blades.

If I can fix the tuning stability, and perhaps gain some more sustain by replacing the block with some of that fat brass love, I should be right.

I'm due for a new guitar (ok, I mean an RG, not the Gretsch Electromatic I bought last week), so I'm not too fussed about this one. I have slayed with it for 5 years now as my main axe.

What should I replace it with?? haha. I want an old school petrucci signature more than I want to live... If anyone has one, please PM me your address, get some good insurance and go on an interstate holiday this coming weekend :p

Actually, I might just get a current signature model. I love the sound of the piezzo bridge! Would be a nice guitar to do an incredible pickup switching mod on it! I just looks like it wants some more switches thrown in there!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  20. Boneman

Boneman Member

Some people have success with using something like an ESP Arming Adjuster to help increase sustain.

Maybe try one of those first if you can find one, but definitely getting a big block will help too.