show me your Guitars

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by karl, Jun 12, 2002.

1. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

Thanks man.

I've had it for about 6 months, and it plays great. Super smooth, fast, and woody is probably the only way I can describe it.

I've only had one niggle with it, and that was the fretboard shrinking a tiny bit (talking less than a mm) as the weather changed and dried out. That was quickly fixed with a bit of filing of the frets and sanding. I've only had to do that once, so it's 100% settled now I believe. Oh, I also upgraded the push/pull volume pot to a genuine Dimarzio. I prefer the feel over the other brands.

The back of the neck is unfinished (light coat of danish oil only) and super fast. It also, despite having specs that would suggest it's bigger/fatter than an Ibanez 7 string neck feels smaller, all because of the way Ernie at ET did the shoulders of the neck. It's the closest to a 6 string feel I've ever come across in a 7.

The frets are stainless steel and are Dunlop 6105's (high and thin...almost like playing a scalloped neck...but not quite), so the strings just glide over them with bends and vibrato. Ernie also rounded the ends off for me at my request (ala Ibanez J-custom line). I love SS frets.

Specs:
    • Mahogany Body
    • C shaped-Maple neck (with wenge strip, and 2 carbon fibre rods alongside the truss rod)
      [*]Thickness at 1st fret - 19.5mm
      [*]Thickness at 12th fret - 21.5mm​
    • Quilted Maple fretboard
    • Tree-of-life Inlay (red perloid, and black)
    • Dunlop 6105 Stainless Steel Frets
    • Hipshot Fixed Bridge 0.125" base for 7 string
    • Nut - Graphtech Black Tusq
    • Hipshot Griplock Tuners
    • Bridge Pickup - Bare Knuckle Aftermath 7 (Zebra)
    • Neck Pickup - Bare Knuckle Nailbomb 7 (Reverse Zebra)
    • 3 way switch, with coil split via push/pull Dimarzio 500k volume pot

There's lots of songs recorded with this guitar on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/notonmonday

2. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

haha that seriously sounds amazing. checked out part of the youtube vid you linked, the internet at my minesite here is shit so only saw like 40 seconds or so. those Bare Knuckles are sweet. and that inlay works so well with the overall finish.

i didnt realise mahogany was so dark? but then all my guitars are colour finished. i like that you go the neck to feel as close to a 6-string as possible for a 7. i have a 7, jumped on the Emperion guitar launch couple years back. dunno if you heard of them, some italian brand, couldnt resist trying it out for $750 shipped with a hardcase. not bad, not great. nothing fancy. single bridge humbucker AHB Blackout. its fairly chunky in the neck though, like you know you're playing a 7-string put it that way. would love a thinner neck on a 7, would probably play it more.

what rig are you playing through though? sounds tight, very well mixed, are you actually plugged into computer software using some VST's or something, or playing through an amp?

edit: oh forgot to add, if you're ever stupid enough to sell it, maybe let me know ;)

3. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

Cheers man :)

Haven't played any Emperion's myself. But I have played other 7's who's necks were large. I found I get use to them, but it's so much easier when you don't have to get use to a wider/fatter feeling neck.

I'm playing through a Line6 Pod XT Pro of all things. Running analog into a Presonus Audiobox 22VSL with no extra eq.

I've stuck with the Pod for so long I've learnt a few tricks. On two of the latest videos, "Ophelias Madness" and "Mai Raifu, Mai Rabu (the one with the Japanese writing)" I actually started trying something different.

For the distorted rhythm parts I've actually got the volume on the guitar turned down below half way. Seemed to be the only way to get rid of the fizz and flub. Recorded nicely though I think.

I don't think I'll ever sell. It just fits, ya know? But I'll remember to search for my posts in this thread if I ever do sell. :)

I'm actually thinking of selling the blue RG421. But I'm not sure. I have never really sold any guitars. lol.

edit: The Bare Knuckles rule. I ordered these on Ernie's recommendation having never heard them. I always went for Dimarzio's before. In comparison, these feel like they breathe, lots of clarity and string definition. The Aftermath growls, where the Nailbomb has this vocal "o" sound about it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

nah mate genuinely impressed. i've always been partial to natural finishes on guitars. my next will definitely be custom, i've become too picky now. i'll probably be going with Perry Ormsby if i decide to, he's our local hero for custom guitars.

and i'll be getting some Bare Knuckles soon for sure

5. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Haha got it :)

I've heard some grandpas play the shit of that nylon string, don't be fooled by it's infirmed exterior ;)
    The bass goes alright, but a grandpa upright is on the cards as its replacement I reckon ...

geriaitric for life! :thumbup:

6. romanx

romanx Member

This the old mans collection, he's been a bass player since he was 18, but plays guitar as well. Retires in a month, so he's getting on. But still has all his audio engineering equipment (50 channel harrison desk from memory in the back of a truck for mobile recording).

Neither the Fender Telecaster or the Epiphone Gibson are in this photo.

One of the bass' is a Maton, and I think they made only 50 of them. It's worth more now than when he bought it.

Mandolin, acoustic (unsure on make), fretless bass, Maton Bass, Vox(?) bass (that thing is loooooong), and a I can't remember the last, might have been a Les Paul or something.

The Fender Telecaster was a birthday present when I was 16, but I kept breaking too many fingers playing cricket to keep learning the guitar. So I just fiddle with knobs instead :weirdo:

heh, and the speaker in the corner is an 18" JBL. He's got crap lying around everywhere. Soundcraft desk in the bloody kitchen!

[​IMG]

7. gtarmanrob

gtarmanrob Member

what the hell is the one in the middle? is it just me or is that a really unique looking body shape?

8. wilchelus

wilchelus Member

Looks like a Rickenbacker, maybe?

9. Boneman

Boneman Member

I think its called an El Toro.

10. spootmonkey

spootmonkey Member

Danelectro Longhorn, or knockoff.

11. romanx

romanx Member

12. Boneman

Boneman Member

Still love my Soloist :leet:

[​IMG]

13. oriphin

oriphin Member

I just wanted to share a quick restoration i did.

I got given this guitar last week, it was covered in rust, chrome pitted, a thick layer of gunk / dust everywhere and smelled like fish!!

I spent a total of $22aud on the following things:

Steel wool 000
    Paper towel
    Blue painters tape
    New output jack

And used the following that i already had:

FastFret
    Ernie ball 10s
    Dunlop guitar cleaner
    Lighter fluid

Before:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Vantec

Vantec Member

Good job mate, beautiful guitar there. I love the look of those cherry SGs.

15. bsbozzy

bsbozzy Member

16. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat New Member

That's an excellent job! Are you saying you got that glossy finish back just with application of 000 steel wool?

17. Ethan W

Ethan W Member

I assumed it was for getting rid of the rust and possibly satin-finishing the back of the neck. (Which I recently did on my LP Jr, might post pics at some point). 000 is course enough to scuff up the finish rather than polish, no?

18. Peasey

Peasey Member

Got a graduation/you got a job gift from my girlfriend.

A Baby Taylor BT1!
    http://imgur.com/a/8yrFi

You can also see my other guitars in the album as well.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  19. apple_bob

apple_bob New Member

Hi, i believe i own this guitar Now? I was told it was purchased from a band member a long time ago in the Taree or Nsw area?

20. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

Post date: 18th June 2002, 5:29 PM

It's a pretty optimistic post dig, why don't you try Private Messaging the guy?