show me your Guitars

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by karl, Jun 12, 2002.

1. cleary

cleary Mental in the Face

I just had a quick search in the build log - best as I can tell, Seymour Duncan Custom Shop P90s with hum cancelling -

I think it's probably a bit of a polarising design for a guitar, but I loved it too :D

2. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

I had always wanted to build a LP, tele and multiscale guitar for myself but around the middle of last year I had what you could call a YOLO moment. I decided what the hell, I'm going to buy one of each.

2016 Gibson LP Traditional,
    Fender Baja Tele.
    Ormsby GTR line SX.

The tele is second hand, the LP and Ormsby are new.

[​IMG]

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

What's it like living on vegemite sandwiches? :lol: Talk about a spending spree! Very nice.

4. bangmango

bangmango Member

So how much for each one? The Traditional have a 50's neck ?

5. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

Nah. Living on vegemite sandwiches would have been if I bought an R9, 52 reissue and a custom shop Ormsby. ;)

The LP was $3,300, the tele $1000 and Ormsby $1750.
    I'm seriously thinking about jumping on run 5 of the GTR hypes and selling the TX. The Macassar ebony top looks really nice.

The LP does has a 50's neck but I like fatter necks. It's the body weight that makes it a bit uncomfortable. The neck wants to rise when I sit down and play but I still wanted a traditional. The closest thing I can afford to a real '59.

6. thommo101

thommo101 Member

What a gorgeous lineup! That LP Traditional is just beautiful. The finish on the Ormsby is great, love the colour.

How do you find the fan fret? I've never played one. Slightly intrigued. Is it done for ergonomic reasons (finger layout?) or for string tension?

I hope those guitar hangers are secured into the wall well! :D

7. Blackstar1099

Blackstar1099 Member

Here's an explanation on multiscale/fan-frets.
    https://www.ormsbyguitars.com/what-is-a-multiscale.html

It's both ergonomic and string tension. I found it pretty easy to adapt. It blows away any other guitar I have for detuned metal riffs. I have a Line6 Helix running through 2 x Peavey keyboard amps. It sounds massive.

Most of the hangers are just into plaster. No studs behind it. My house was built in the 50's so the plaster is thicker than most. They hold well. I've tried pulling down on the guitars when it's in the hangers and they the screws are holding.

8. chezz69

chezz69 Member

Here a pic from a little while back.

Have added a few more since then but I've run out of wall space to get them all in the same pic. Nothing super expensive as I can't justify it with my playing ability.

[​IMG]

Guitars from left to right:

• Ibanez Artwood AW250ECE Solid Top Acoustic
    • Artist Guitars Stealth LP6
    • Les Paul Style DIY Custom
    • Squier Bullet Strat

9. thommo101

thommo101 Member

So I'd been looking for a cheap second hand guitar to accompany my LP copy, something more aggressive with a big cutaway and 24 frets, something like an Ibanez RG series.

Anyway, after missing out on a few cheap Ibanez, I saw a slightly different looking guitar, and managed to get it.

I present my new Formentin guitar. Apparently built in Australia by a WA luthier Rob Formentin.

[​IMG]

Apparently these are well made guitars, and it certainly feels like it. The neck is really nice, and the bridge is in immaculate condition. The body is pretty good, only a couple of slight chips, which is pretty good for such a pointy guitar!

It needs a setup by someone other than me (I tried, and improved it somewhat, as it came with a bowed neck). I've put new strings on it, and all I can say is... Die Floyd Rose! Give me a fixed bridge any day!

More pics here:
    http://imgur.com/a/8QfYK

10. broccoli

broccoli Member

That's interesting, a local. How old is it? I'll be interested to hear how you like it, after you've had it set up.

11. thommo101

thommo101 Member

I'm guessing it would be 15-20 years old? Probably late 90s or early 00s judging by what i can find online. Looks like Rob Formentin works at Guitar World Cannington or Rockingham, maybe I should take it there for setup / repair!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  12. broccoli

broccoli Member

If he's still there, that'd be a plan. He might be interested to see it again.

13. Fireblade

Fireblade Member

Interesting looking guitar. Bits of RG, bits of Washburn N series. You'll get used to the Floyd. The aren't the monster people make out. Once you get your processes sorted you'll be doing string changes in no time.

14. thommo101

thommo101 Member

I don't think I'll be changing string gauges any time soon, the intonation is perfect now. I was replacing 10 year old god-knows what strings, needed a bit of adjustment to get the bridge level. Still, given I don't know how to use tremolo (never had it!) I can't (yet) see the value :)

15. Radley

Radley Member

Never let ability get in the way of a nice guitar :)

Optimus. likes this.
  16. slashrox

slashrox Member

My guitar collection as of July 2017

2006 Fender Standard Stratocaster - Had this guitar since I was 16 (11 years). Played the hell out of it. This picture is from earlier this year of the current state that it is in. I played the hell out of this guitar and was my main guitar for years up until I got my Jackson PC-1. I retired this around 2013-2014, but I'm thinking of having a tech fix her up (new bridge, fix the stripped strap holes in the body from the schaller straplocks stripping them, maybe a SD JB in the bridge etc).

[​IMG]

2012 Jackson PC-1 - My #1 Pride and Joy

[​IMG]

2013 Kramer Pacer Classic - Great guitar, although the stock pickups are nothing to rave about. Thinking of putting a SD JB in the bridge (not sure about the neck yet), switch the license floyd out for a OFR or a Floyd Rose Special, D-tuna etc

[​IMG]

2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional - My #2. After having this for a couple of years, I've only recently started adjusting to and liking the 50s profile neck (I prefer the 60's standard profile neck).

[​IMG]

2017 Maton SRS60C - Only just picked this up yesterday. I missed having an acoustic so with my tax recently coming through, I decided to treat myself to one. I do have a black Fender acoustic (No pics of it currently) but that was my mums. She passed away last year so that acoustic is now very sentimental to me. I refuse to take it out of the house in fear of something happening to it. So the Maton will cover all my acoustic needs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

What sort of timber is the body and the neck of the Maton made from?

All of you multiple owners, what do you do with them all/where do you keep them? And what about insurance, do you have to itemise them on your policy? (I need to dig mine out and see what's covered and how)

18. Radley

Radley Member

Hang them using Hercules hangers on a long piece of pine which is fixed to the studs. I'm still yet to mount my 5th on the wall but currently it's on a single stand.

I really want to sort out insurance as I'm not sure what the policy is like.

19. alexb618

alexb618 Member

i dont have any pics handy but my current 'collection' is a 52 ri tele and a $300 recording king folk size acoustic. plays and sounds great so theres no need to change that one but since ive only really been using the tele lately, acoustics are a bit of hard work... probably going to change out the strings for something lighter on the acoustic and something heavier on the tele to get them feeling as close to each other as i can.

20. slashrox

slashrox Member

Top: Grade 'A' Sitka Spruce
    Back and Sides: Queensland Maple
    Neck: Queensland Maple
    Fingerboard: Ballcut Indian Rosewood