1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

show me your Guitars

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by karl, Jun 12, 2002.

1. dwight_snake

dwight_snake Member

here is my Carvin neck-thru

[​IMG]

gibson V with EMG81

[​IMG]

gibbo again

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2002
  2. talking goat

talking goat Member

looks good dwight, tell me did the bits of rubber end up coming off the tv ok ? has the smoke cleared out of your room yet?

3. dwight_snake

dwight_snake Member

a little bit of rubber on the tv was worth it to make some interesting shots of the axes :)

4. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Member

my cousin has a Gibson SG and Gibson LesPaul Standard :D

5. Nasher

Nasher Member

Just a question, what's the advantage of having a high action? I've found that whenever I try to play a guitar with too high an action, it requires me to tear my fingers to shreds in order to get the strings to touch the fretboard.

6. LaNcEr

LaNcEr (Taking a Break)

Ive found with a high action its cleaner ie no buzzing from the string touching other frets
    But when you go too high it doesnt sound as good and is harder to play....

7. Froodogs

Froodogs Member

As vindaloo mentioned, i've got a couple of guitars... my main ax is a fender USA fat tele, recently converted to be a USA standard tele, since i never used the humbucker anyway.

My other two are an epiphone 'the dot' 335 copy, and a legend 'crap-o-caster' strat copy which i've replaced piece by piece until it's almost a real strat now anyway.

I'm in the market for a new amp at the moment, but i usually use a peavey classic 30 or one of glenn's mark 3 mesas.

Vin: his 'pride and joy' 100w combo is a mk 3 i think, but it was custom made (look for the signature in the back) so it's not REALLY a mk 3 as such anyway.
    ;)
    So if anyone has a 4x12" or a 4x10" speaker cab, or a decent head /combo for sale, let me know, i may very well be interested in it.

As far as effects go, i've got a vox wah (bought last weekend) a ts9-dx tubescreamer (for sale), vindaloo's ds-1 distortion, glenn's boss octaver (great for fat angry synth sounds), a ph-1r phaser, an Ibanez 'Phase Tone 2' (makes crazy whale-song noises)and a crybaby (also for sale, see my thread in the for sale forum)

:D

I play mostly funk/rock stuff with my band (Dyslexic Fish, you might have read vindaloo mentioning us in some other threads), but i'm also into blues and some harder rock stuff like Tool etc, but i usually try to stay away from what i'd call 'unintelligent' metal. :rolleyes: ;)

If anyone has effects pedals, amps, or other guitar gear for sale, feel free to PM me, as i'm something of a gear whore, and always love new toys... ;-)

On a slightly different note, have any of you guys found any companies/shops that sell a bag or something really suitable for carrying around effects/leads etc? I've been looking for a good way of carrying my effects to a gig without clanking them around in a bag, but the two companies that make purpose built bags for this (fender and PRS) dont sell them in AUS (AFAIK). I've looked at some professional camera bags (similar principle involved) but they are usually a bit expensive for this...

Ideas?:confused:

Re: high action vs low action:
    your general rule of thumb (and there are exceptions) is that low action is good for lead work, high action (within reason) is good for rhythm work, and if you play hard, you need to use a higher action.

It's a personal opinion of mine that the sort of metal etc guitarist with a super-low action and a set of EMG-81's or similar (duncan invader?) pickups would benefit greatly from playing with a lower output pickup, on a higher action neck, and just hitting the strings harder. Tone is in the fingers, and nothing makes for good tone like whacking the crap out of a string. BIG SOUND.

i welcome all arguments. :D

8. Silent8ob

Silent8ob Member

Froodude,
    When I was a working muso, all my effects were all mounted on a custom made pedal board. Remove cover, plug amp in one end, instrument in other, plug in power and your away.

Board was basically a rectangular bit of 5-ply with 2 long velcro strips runing across it. All pedals had 2 matching strips of velcro on the bottom to keep them attached during the heat of battle. 1 multipower adaptor supplied everything (not possible if you're using many pedals with different power requirements - you can always stick with batteries though.)

Cover was just an open box made of more 5 ply that fitted over the top and fastened to the board with 4 sturdy clasps (like you find on flightcases/guitar cases. Paint it black, add those nice metal corner protectors and it looked suprisingly good.

Everything else lived in an aluminum flightcase/suitcase, nicely partitioned with spots for all my leads, my mic, strings etc.

I was a bassplayer though, so your requirements might be totally different.

Cheers,
    D.

9. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Member

My guitars:

POS magnum
    POS cimar strat (think the squires of the ibanez world)

Recently got rid of a maton 225, ugle sounding things. Magnum will probably be next to go once I get my other 6 string back.

12 string Hobner, odds are you never heard of the make, neither had I. It's a small company based somewhere in Europe. The guitar is good for what it is. Probably about the quality of a takamine, so not great, but alright for strumming in the bedroom. Tthe sound is lighter and has more tone, and the action is beautifully low. Talking 2mm of the 12th fret, and no buzz.

My good 6 string (which is away being fixed at the moment) is a lovely old maton jumbo that was built circa '54. If you can imagine a 50's guild jumbo, with a wider lower bout (I shit you not this baby is bigger than a guild) with a 50's style gibson neck, and dark dark brown wood, then that's what she is.
    It was made before the days maton went to mass production, so it is a *nice* guitar! Best guesses are the the neck was recarved sometime over the years, the bridge isn't original, and someone something strange to it with some beeswax. At the moment it is vic. getting a refret, fetboard level, neck work, new bridge, new nut, partial refinish, and of course, the humble set-up.

When this get's back I will be dissapearing for a few days... ;)

My acoustic bass is a Swales. The body is made out of a gourd.
    Handmade instrument, gourdgeous in every way. Damn I love this thing.

Next purchase, swales mandolin, or a bazouki.

Dream Guitar: Lowden F25.
    www.lowdenguitars.com

If I ever find my camera, I'll send alone some pics.

10. Froodogs

Froodogs Member

you'll remember a few pages back i posted about my gear, but mentioned not having an amp? bought one of these babies yesterday. /me drools. I just wanna get home from work to play with it.

Fender Cyber-Deluxe

It's gorgeous, and sounds like 'the real thing', especially the tweed settings.

I love it.

More updates after i gig with it on wednesday night.

11. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

Sweet! How much did that set you back?

12. Silent8ob

Silent8ob Member

Mmm, does look nice.

Is the preamp Valve or is it all transistor?

Cheers,
    D.

13. Froodogs

Froodogs Member

It's all transistor, but REALLY REALLY doesn't sound it. It's obviously never going to sound EXACTLY like tubes, but it's so close that unless you did an A/B test, you'd never know. and who cares, 'cause it sounds GREAT

cost 2079 down from 2599.

14. tangcla

tangcla Member

I got an Esteve clasical guitar, handmade in Spain. Cost $1500 :)
    I'm not into electric guitars, hence the reason why I learn classical guitar. I've finished AMEB eighth grade and next year I'll be doing my Associate Music license.

15. iKey

iKey (Banned or Deleted)

Yeep he's a mad guitarist .. too bad he only plays that classical woosy rubbish hahaha :D

I got a Fender Stratocaster .. hennndriixxxx :D ... currently learnign to play "extreme - more than words" .. not that hard but the hitting it with palm and playing at the same time is annoying bah

16. tangcla

tangcla Member

hey, that classical 'rubbish' is harder than any of the shit you play dude -- so there :p

17. iKey

iKey (Banned or Deleted)

heh nah its not ALL rubbish .. eg "mason williams- classical gas" .. good stuff..

nah sif ! .. Download "Extreme- More than Words" .. im sure most of these ppl have heard it .. friggin mad song

18. KyocEr@~*

KyocEr@~* Member

Playing More than Words on an electric is just... not the same... you don't get the thumpy sound...

19. iKey

iKey (Banned or Deleted)

Nah I play it on my acoustic of course

20. egarrard

egarrard Member

Sorry, no pics, as most of these are in storage now, and rotated out ever so often.

Acoustics:
    1) Takamine G-530 (The banger I keep around the house)
    2) '65 Fender Shenandoah Kingman 12-string (Gold pickguard)
    3) '96 Gallagher G-70
    4) '66 Gibson Everly Brothers (Black)
    5) Mid '70's Martin D-28
    6) '80 Martin D-35
    7) '70 Yamaha classical
    8) '72 Yamaha 12-string

Electrics:
    9) '63 Gibson SG Special (P-90s, finished in walnut)
    10) '64 Fender Telecaster (Black)
    11) '66 Gibson ES-335 (Wine)
    12) '75 Gibson L-6S Custom (Black)
    13) '78 Gibson L-5S (Natural)
    14) '90 Gibson Chet Atkins SST (Black)
    15) Mid 80's Gibson Corvus III (Mint Green) Ugly!!!

Basses:
    16) '60 Fender Jazz prototype (no finish, once was sunburst)
    17) '82 Fender Precision Special (Red)
    18) '86 Alembic Spoiler (Koa)
    19) '76 Rickenbacker 4001 (Natural)
    20) late '80's Pedulla Buzz fretless (Turquoise)
    21) '97 Fender Precision fretless (Sunburst)

Amps:
    22) '48 Fender Princeton (TV case) (Vertical Tweed, Style 2)
    23) '52 Fender Bassman (TV Case, matches #22, Diagonal Tweed)
    23) '66 Fender Deluxe (Black & Silver, no reverb)
    24) '74 Fender Vibrolux Reverb (Black & Silver)
    25) '59 Fender Bassman (Black & Silver, 20 watt 1-15" studio version, modified and re-covered by Fender)

Other:
    26) '63 Fender Reverb (Tan)
    27) ?? Semie Moseley-built Melobar (Sunburst)
    28) Cordovox (Leslie/Amp) (Black & Silver)

Believe me, these guitars are a whole lot better than my playin'. I worked as an engineer for 20 years in Nashville, and just caught the collecting bug. (Let's not even talk about all the recording junk I have...) I came across these through the years, from friends and associates, and from cruising the pawn shops and classifieds.