1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

show me your Guitars

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by karl, Jun 12, 2002.

1. rhettmac

rhettmac Member

megadeth!!!

i think my baby will make you all weep, when dave mustaine of megadeth did nerve damage to his wrist i decided i wanted his guitar as megadeth memorabilia. enjoy...
    presenting the ..::Y2KV Dave Mustaine::..
    [​IMG]

:D

2. AxlOz

AxlOz Member

I'm not a big fan of Megadeth. They're like a girlie Metallica to me :D

But thats just me. I'm sure lotsa ppl like them. And anyway, thats a sick axe dude! Really, thats a nice guitar!

3. rhettmac

rhettmac Member

i dont wanna start a megadeth vs metallica thread fight lol but incase you didnt know, the singer of megadeth was one of the founder of metallica and was kicked out for being too "hardass" then when in the album kill em all metallica used dave mustaines work after they kicked him out he set out to beat metallica. i was a big metallica fan up until load thats when they went sour and then when they did that song with jarule i really lost interest, megadeths speed metal vs metallicas speed metal i reckon megaz win but thats just my opinion, btw that guitar has sustain like you wouldnt beleive omg for a lead solo player like me its a dream.

4. Rob_the_Dentist

Rob_the_Dentist Member

Aria Pro II - 4 String Magna Series bass with 2 active humuckers and Eq. I can't find it on thier site, but it is very very rad.

Plays like a dream, sounds awesome and the number of different sounds you can pull out of it is brilliant.

5. M4g3X0r

M4g3X0r Member

For the record, I like both bands.

Btw. Metallica did not do that song with Ja Rule, all they did was give them some sample tracks and they just used them. Metallica did not have any input in the song, all they did was give a few samples for swizz beats.

6. afro

afro Member

ive been teaching myself for about a year, so in the beggining i thought i might go for a package deal, my friends uncle builds and repairs guitars, and he needed a computer system, and i just happend to have an old p2-400 system lying here so i suggested we do a swap and to my surprise he said yes!

so i ended up with a black Monterey Stage Series Strat copy(the one on the right), 15watt drive practice amp etc...
    i recently took the guitar back to him to see if everything is still in order and he said that it is one of the best sounding "cheap" guitars he has ever heard, so im still happy with that one!

the one on the left, is a Legend Prestige Series strat copy that i bought off these forums for $100!
    took it to my friends uncle again to have some minor work done to it, and turns out its a pretty much full custom job with an ebony fretboard.
    i love it, its got full black hardware, glitter paint, humbucker.. it also sounds a hell of a lot heavier than my other guitar.

i really want a Gibson SG though, i love those guitars soooo much!
    i might get a epiphone copy one of these days :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2003
  7. NAIL

NAIL Member

i'm a relatively new guitarist currently on a 6yr old "Magnum" acoustic, i reckon it's got a good sound, but just wondering, what would be a good electric to start on, i don't want a cheap piece of shit that'll break if played to hard sorta thing, but i don't have shitloads of money either. help and opinions would be greatly appreciated:p thanks guys, and there's some very nice looking guitars there, especially the Megadeth memorabilia:D

I'm from North Brisbane where there's an awesome music shop called Toombul Music, they have one of Trent Reznor's(Nine Inch Nails) guitars, it is fuking beautiful!!!!!!!!!

8. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Member

Hey nail,

I've seen that guitar at Toombul, I drooled... (well, in my heart I drooled, in reality I stood there in respectful silence ;) )

Getting a decent electric guitar shouldn't be too hard, the main things you'll want to look at is: (just a few things of the top of my head...)

How it feels to play.

Before you make this decision, check a few things out.

Does it have new strings? Old ratty strings that have been played by a hundred odd people browsing can really misrepresent what might be a good guitar.
    Ask the people at the store (if you are serious about buying) to put a new set on.

Setup.
    This is one of the main things that new guitarist (in my experience) don't know about. A setup is basically having the guitar adjusted to play well. This can include things like neck adjustments, what condition the nut is in, how the bridge/tune-o-matic/tremelo is setup, what position the pickups are in.

If the guitar strings are very high of the fretboard, odds are it hasn't been setup, or setup for a while. Ask the store to set in up (again, only if you are a serious buyer, also, good stores I've found will give you a free setup with buying the guitar, some will also give it a 'service' (generally that means the same as a setup, plus checking the electrics etc) a few months after... Something to keep an eye out for.

Playing. Different guitars will suit different people. eg. I love the sound of an sg, but I just don't like playing most of 'em, something to do with the shape of the neck methinks... But that's me.
    If you play a lot of guitars, you'll soon start to be able to pick things that you like, shape of the neck, what kind of tremelo/bridge system you like, shape of body...
    Playing many guitars is the only way to figure this one out.

What are the electrics like?
    A lot of the sound of an electric guitar comes directly from the pickups. If they are cheap shitty pickups, they will sound like cheap shitty pickups. I've fixed up 2nd hand guitars (cheap shitty guitars) for people and had them sounding amazing by putting some good pickups in there.
    When it comes to pickups, there is a lot of choice, however one thing you can pretty much tell is this. If a single coil costs less than about 80-100, odds are you really don't want it. Add 30-40 for humbuckers.

If it's a strat style guitar, how much a single coil on it's own humms. They will all hum a little, that's just the nature of the things, however good pickups installed correctly won't hum nearly as much. If you have the chance to look inside, make sure the soldering look neat, that the wiring is covered, and see if the cavity where the electrics go is sheilded. Generally this means the cavity looks 'shiny', if not and you like the guitar, glue some alfoil in there, cuts down on the interference.

Check the machine heads/tuning pegs (whatever you like to call them). The should turn cleanly, smoothly and nicely, and when they stop, they should STOP. Bad machine heads can often lead to guitars coming out of tune very quickly, making the guitar sound bad, when the rest of the guitar might be quite good.

Amp. I said a lot of the sound comes from the pickups... Well most of the rest of it comes from your amp (plus pedals etc).
    General rule of thumb. Crappy guitars can sound pretty good on a nice amp, however nothing will ever sound good on a bad amp.

Very important to keep in mind as well... I've seen salespeople put crap guitars on nice amps to sell them, best thing is to play the guitar on a few different amps to get a good idea of what it is like.

Same goes with buying an amp, play a few different guitars on it to get a good feel for the sound.

At the end of the day it's up to you. Find something you like.
    Don't worry about brands so much as how much you like the sound, and how much you like to play the instrument.

Well... That's a little more than I was intending to right, but hey, it's a worthy subject!

Good luck.

9. NAIL

NAIL Member

hey jac,
    thanks a bunch for all your advice, it is muchly appreciated, and i'm sure it'll help me when i do come to actually buy an electric.

10. dwight_snake

dwight_snake Member

IMO thats probably the most helpful and informative post ever written for someone with a new interest in the electric guitar.
    pat yourself on the back, jac

11. Jacaranda

Jacaranda Member

Cheers mate!

12. Major Neb

Major Neb Member

Great post jac! I have been bashing for a while now, and that info is pure gold.

Now I finally get to put pics up of two of our guitars. They just happen to be my favourites.

[​IMG]

The one on the left is an Eko 12 string acoustic with a factory pick-up at the end of the fret board. They were made between 1965-1972, so it was made around then sometime in Italy. It has an amazing sound and is LOUD, even without the pick-up.

The electric is an Ibanez RG-470. No photo ever does the finish justice, and it is the easiest electric I have ever played.(Not that I've played that many....) Great all round sound and goes hard when you want it too.

The Eko we picked up from Cash Converters for $195! It is in mint condition, as is the Ibanez. The Ibanez cost a whole lot more though, but I bought it for my wife Sue for her birthday.

Major Neb

13. smacked

smacked Member

Hohner Baton Rouge........ i called her sanchez :D

that pic is from the hohner site but i have plate pickups on mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2003
  14. shredder

shredder Member

Dude that's a nice RG. Really awesome guitars for those who don't worship Strats/Pauls/SG's and all the usuals - especially when your tastes run to the harder side of things. A joy to play - I've had my 570 for over 5 yrs now and to me it's still the best guitar on earth.

15. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Thought I would post pics of the guitar I play. Not exactly my guitar. Just on permenant loan from my brother :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Dimebag

Dimebag Member

My main axe is a sunburst Onyx Les Paul copy. I popped a Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge to replace the peice of crap that was in it standard. Play it through a Marshall VS102R (nice big valve-state combo, i got it for a steal) with a Boss SD-1 or a tubescreamer copy my friend built himself....sounds pretty good :)

To the guy above - I saw that exact same Charvel in hanging on the wall of the guy I bought my axe from (off eBay) when I came to pick it up. It looked pretty damn killer...would be great for the thrash/80's Hair image :p

Not (entirely) true! I got my Tone Zone second hand off eBay for 42 bucks... :) I was very happy. It's a quality pickup. But everything else you said was spot on man - my crappy copy sounds pretty sweet with all that stuff I mentioned, and overall, it's a pretty cheap rig that doesn't sound so cheap.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2003
  17. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Nothing wrong with the 80's hair image :)

Have to ask the brother next time i speak to him to find out the exact model but your right, the guitar is from the 80's. Very nice guitar though.

18. Memph

Memph Member

Here she is
    i have had it for a while now. i love it ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tis an Ibanez RG-370MH (mahoganny body)

19. Unregisturd

Unregisturd Member

Messenger Upright Bass

The bass itself.
    [​IMG]

BTS and standard pickups.
    [​IMG]

20. tizeyboy

tizeyboy Member