Show me your Knife

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Spl@, Dec 14, 2007.

1. olie

olie Member

Aussie Supplier, and in stock; I didn't want to get burned by that.

It was a bit of a selection process to come to that particular unit.

After sorting through literally hundreds and hundreds of knives, short listing, and then short listing again and then reading multiple reviews on each of the finalists, this one came out on top. It was one of only 3 or 4 that full filled all the requirements.
    - Under $300AUD
    - 3.5-4” Blade
    - Clip (this discounted a lot of models)
    - Dark in color (For work)
    - Reputable company/model

2. olie

olie Member

EX-01 arrived today safe and sound and a few things are quite apparent already.
    1. The reviews were right when they say this is one damn sharp knife out of the box. It is absolutely insanely well finished
    2. It is a little harder than I expected to open. The “Quick Release” button to open/close it is quite stiff, requiring quite a bit of force to activate it fully.
    3. Build quality is top notch, its super solid and the finish is fantastic.
    4. It is big, way bigger than it appeared in photos, I’m thinking that a lot of the 4” blade shots were actually 3” blades. However being the size that it is, it does fit in my hand very well.
    Super Happy with it

5 stars at this point, I will update after a few months of ownership.

3. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

yeah, most any folding knife is a bit stiff out of the box. Give it a hundred or so uses and its smooth as butter. Thats my experience at least.

4. Gryme

Gryme Member

I'm looking at getting some swiss army knives to carry on a keychain.
    Probably a Classic SD and/or Signature Lite.

Anyone got any recommendations on where to buy these from?
    Bit worried about ebay and fakes.

5. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

theres plenty of guides on fakes, but try aussie disposals. They carry a variety of knives, that or any camping shop.

They can always custom order the model you want if they dont have stock.

Best advice i can give on that sort of thing.

6. Boolen

Boolen Member

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  8. Damoo

Damoo Member

I'm looking at starting a collection of knives, just for show as I like some of the designs, particularly USMC ones, is it just a case of emailing ID and purchasing from an online store in Australia, and having them come in the post?

Or am I going to have police at my door instead of my knife?

Thanks much.

9. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

how do you want to go about it ? Do you want to show yoru knives ? Get a collectors licence, then you can get MANY things.

Id love to get a collectors, but its not on the cards for me (financially) currently.

ID suggest this. Anything already in Australia, you can obtain / transfer legally (state dependent).

Importing you have to conform to customs BS. Customs have "policies" which ARE NOT law, they have no legal precident to restrict, but the parliment uphold it because it restricts legit collectors and such importing.

If you plan to be a thug, then i agree with customs, but 90% of all "knife" crime, such as stabbings etc, occur with regular "kitchen" knives. So maybe we should restrict butchers cleavers, boning knives and the like and allow folders.

When was the last time someone was fatally killed via a 4"+ folder knife ?

10. Damoo

Damoo Member

I'd like to have a little display case or something to hang in my room, I have a few beer bottles in there and other assorted crap, like bullet casings.

Got no interest in being a thug or hurting people :thumbdn:

I was looking at these:

http://www.bronzemoonoutdoors.com.a...us-army-desert-storm-commemorative-knife-9151

What is this collectors license? You have me interested.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Top 2 are restricted because the politicians have no clue about art. Bottom one is restricted because its a war relic, and has been used.

All of them carry restrictions to collectors licence. A USMC is NOT restricted and can be imported and used without problem australia wide. Many people will say otherwise, but its covered under the fixed blade rule.
    Its how k-mart, david jones and a multitude of others import and sell knife sets for cooking. Much like like the 9" butcher blades which come thru customs without question.

go-go tv cooking shows. If it looks bad, it MUST be a murder weapon.

12. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

hey hey.. dont have a pic of my folding pocket knife, its a oldie though.
    found it on the bank while fishing cleaned it up and yeah still working ( like 5 years ago )

got a pic of my more recent knife i got out of a basher car brought for the farm lol. asked the owner he said it was alright to keep..
    but better double check i guess haha this legal to have in vic?
    its about 12" long butchers knife. ( pretty sure )
    got to love a good sharp strong blade.. or axe... i like my hatchet. just kind of works
    EDIT: sorry about the pic. was when first found it, cleaned it up since then.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  13. apsilon

apsilon Member

Given it's a butchers knife it won't be illegal (assuming you're not carrying it around the streets).

Not a terrible brand either (made by Wenger IIRC).

14. Liighthead

Liighthead New Member

nar only been using it when hunting so stays in tackle box lol
    and yeah seams to be decent, makes quick work of rabbit

15. Anakist

Anakist Member

I am addicted to knives! Love all kinds of them.

Here is my "kitchen stable". From left to right.

Ikea cleaver.
    Handmade carbon steel Nakiri I bought in Kyoto.
    Handmade 63 layer Damascus Stainless Santoku we bought in "kitchen town", Tokyo (My Wifes)
    Henckels cooks knife I have had since ~2002 (My first nice knife. It was $50 which I am stoked with!)
    Henckels Santoku
    Victorianox Santoku (my Wifes)
    [​IMG]

I have an Edge Faux to keep them all sharp, and an Ikea three ceramic wheel sharpener I use the finest wheel of to realign the edge. I am getting better with the Edge Faux and can nearly shave with them every time. I have other kitchen knives, but these are the usual suspects that get the most use. I am 194cm and ~130kg so I like a large knife. My wife is a lot smaller so she struggles to use mine. The Victorianox Santoku is like using a feather to cut with, especially now it is super sharp. Her Japanese blade has a beautiful beaten pattern on it and is also quite light.

I also have a Leatherman and a couple of other pocket knives that I can shave with now that I have the Edge Faux. From memory there is a Leatherman Charge TTi (Titanium scales), a Wave (same knife just all in stainless), a couple of no name folders that I have broken the holsters for and don't use, a couple of rubbish fishing knives somewhere under the house, and a no name yacht knife. My wife also has a Leatherman Wingman.

I am a sound guy by trade so I always have my Charge and two torches on my belt. I feel naked without them and nearly every time I don't have them with me I need it for something.

Future purchases are some "survival" type knives and tools, a slicing knife for the kitchen, and maybe a hatchet if I get time to do more camping.

James

16. DUO

DUO Member

whats the knife featured on Sons of anarchy - all the SMACRO members have one strapped to their upper thigh - just curious as i cant find it on the web

17. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

quite possibly a set-prop or a custom made knife, mainly to sell it as merchandise afterwards.

Much like nokia did with phones in The Matrix movie series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jax_Teller
    He carries a USMC KA-BAR fighting knife on his waistband, possibly his father's service knife.

Its probably a modded one, as ive been after one for a fair while but dont want to lash out the money currently.
    http://www.kizlyarknifestore.com.au...id=678&zenid=72cb0840d7106d23673029f2d89d5fe7
    $120pp, else try ebay and you can have em for about $100 delivered for ones already in australia. BUT theres no guarantee its 100% genuine. You can also get the serrated edge version from kizylar for the same price.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  18. NanoDuke

NanoDuke Member

Sounds about right. Half Sack had one, too (not sure if the same knife).

19. oculi

oculi Member

SMACRO lol. did you google it? jax's knife at least comes up as a kabar pretty quick, haven't noticed the knives any of the other members carry.

if you have screengrabs post them up and we can bladespot them.

i got my kabar recently, $53 from amazon and hand carried back here, the woman at customs asked my mule "is this a kitchen knife?" hahaha

20. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

bargain !

Wish i had my own personal mule like that.