1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us what your growing at home (favourite/rare/exotic plants etc...)

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by timbo3185, Mar 29, 2010.

1. timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

Hey all, I dont know where exactly to post this but since this is a hobbie I guess i can post here.

as of late last year I've been getting into the garden at home and trying to grow various plants, I seem to have a natural green thumb, whatever i try to grow will just grow! apart from the veggie garden I got going I have an assortment of plants I'm trying to propagate and so far sucessfully done so!

So in attempt to start a new trend in the forums i'll get the ball rolling and share with u what I've been trying to grow.

So far since x-mas I've got a couple of mango and avocado started from the bean/seed/pod what ever you like to call them, I have 2 pineapple plants that are growing from the pineapple tops and some other fruits...

But what i'm really looking after are these little babies:

[​IMG]

They are "Cercis siliquastrum" or commonly the Judas tree.

These ones are approx 3 weeks old and are going very well at the moment.

The reason i'm growing them is so I can say that I did it and because the seeds are from a tree that my late grandma had growing in her backyard. Native to Egypt, my grandma managed to grow them in such a climate like Ballarat!

Anyway I dont think they're common at all in australia, and germination is supposed to be moderate to difficult with the seeds needing to be refrigerated for 3 months before germination occurs (cold stratification) and i had about 20% success rate with about 20 other seeds not germinating

The other plant i'm trying to grow is the Canarina canariensis Native to Canary Island, so far I have had no success in germinating them but i still have hope

My brother had at one time had a couple of varieties of Amorphophallus..those giant rotting smelling flowers native from africa! some creepy looking plants i tell you!

If anyone else has pics of their strange and exotic plants please share them here I'd love to know what people are trying to grow

2. Goobers

Goobers Member

1 x roof void 20 flurecent lamps and a few plant pots and you can grow the kind of plants i got goin.

3. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

the police have been notified ;)

I grow chillis. Ill take a pic and put it up when im gardening again. One of my fav's atm is the Naga which is going for it. Nice and wrinkly. What is a Naga ? Only the worlds hottest chilli ;)

I got ~15 varieties growing. My "Peter Pepper" (red and green) are going quite nicely. Also got a fair few rainbow thai which are starting to look great. The purple tiger gets the most attention from ppl atm.. White and green leaves and deep purple fruits.

4. Goobers

Goobers Member

why...you dont grow your potatoes in the roof.... ??

Im pretty sure we have a mango vine/tree in the back yard but i wouldnt say were growing mangoes. it kinda just grown itself. the produce is a bonus. :D. for other people...I dont like mangoes :(

5. Quan-Time

Quan-Time Member

Click to view full size!

Main garden.. Its between 2 sheds. Already had shade cloth when i moved in. At the front left you can see some corn.. Doing ok, but will change it up next time so they grow better.

Click to view full size!

Naga Morich. Right in the middle of the pic. Its green and blends in well. This one should be HOT.. how hot ? look it up on wiki or somethin, should give you an idea. Thats the biggest, theres about 10 or so small ones growing which have only just broken thru the flowers. But it looks like a nice size crop.

Click to view full size!

Not sure of the strain of this one. But it went CRAZY. Until some thrip started attacking the leaves. Taken care of that issue, but doesnt look pretty with holes all over it. Fruits are ok. Thrip dont eat chillis, they are too hot for em. And its worthy noting that the more the plant is attacked, the HOTTER the chillis get. It tries to ward em off. Else you can sensibly trim some leaves off to encourage heat if you need.. These are hot enough as is.

Click to view full size!

This thing is like a red birds eye.. Weird. They normally come out orange. EIther way. Stacks on it and doing great. Got a bit gangly rather that bushy. It was enjoying the food i was feeding it too much i think. Ill remedy that for next crop.

Click to view full size!

Thats my quick picking. Its a solid 2 handfuls. Top right you see one green one, its a "peter pepper" along with one red one. The green are way bigger which is interesting. Look em up for what they are. Not really hot at all, more a decoration / "i grow pee-pee's in my garden" style.

Im intending to make some hot sauce with em now. Not going to extract the capsaicum from em, just gonna use em as is. Never done it before so im gonna see how hot it is. They should be plenty. Wait and see how i go.

If this is hot enough, i suspect the Naga's would be plenty too. Might extract one day for some fun and make some 2mil scu sauce. Sco, whatever. ;)

6. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

nice assortment of chilli you have there! I also have some firecracker chilli, jalepenos and another type of chilli that resembles thai (the rainbow like colours) going from green to purple to yellow to orange then red, but they're little chilli more like birds eye, not to sure about the name

I didn't mention that since spring last year, I found (yes found) a seedling of a carob tree growing in the gap between the house and the garden bed, god knows how it got there, it's quite a strange place for a seed to be growing and even for a bird to drop a carob tree seed?

anyway it's thriving in my potting mix, all i need to do now is wait about 4 years before it bears it's sex, if it's a male i wont get any pods which sucks cos it would be nice to try cooking with it. i'l post a pic shortly

7. OP
    OP
    timbo3185

timbo3185 Member

8. Cardpuppet

Cardpuppet (Banned or Deleted)

These look awesome. I've attempted orchids, but they're rather difficult >.< I was also given a nice strawberry plant for Valentines Day, asked him to look after it for a week because I couldn't get it home... dead. Herbs are great to grow as well, there's nothing more satisfying than to use things you're grown yourself.

9. JackScottAU

JackScottAU Member

I mostly grow edible things... because I like eating them. I've got a bit of a problem with the soil around my place, because we live next to a highway. First there's the bits of concrete from when it was being built, then the lead from the exhausts of cars over the last 30 years. So no potatoes or carrots for me.

Nevertheless, I'm trying to grow strawberries under some ferns on the east side of the house. They are going quite well, considering every gardening guru in the family told me they wouldn't grow there. A lack of sunlight apparently; I just cite the fact that they usually grow in forests. I'd post pics, but I need to do the weeding...

There's also a metric ****load of garlic that should be coming up any day now. I was also considering planting a Camelia Sinensis (a tea plant), but by the time it's in full production I would have moved out. Does anybody know if they grow well in pots?

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

just took a couple of phone pics this arvo...

unknown brommy, but takes a month or so to flower, this is almost there

Click to view full size!

another unknown brommy, the blades have razor like spikes along the edges, the "flowers" last for years, these are almost done (more on the way :) )

Click to view full size!

matchstick brommy, flower lasts a couple of weeks

Click to view full size!

ice cream brommy, flowers last a week, might be open tomorrow

Click to view full size!

who said orchids are hard to grow? some kind of cat. or hybrid thing
    more wicked brommies on the left right getting ready...

Click to view full size!

*disclaimer - just names people have told me, i have zero idea, but these badboys love my yard

Last edited: May 10, 2010
    Nethiuz likes this.
  11. Grizz_li

Grizz_li Member

I grow algae.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  12. Goobers

Goobers Member

I lol'd, I dont know why but I did. Ive never heard of anyone growing algae before. can you explain why or what the end result hopes to achieve. are they food for something or just what you grow instead of plants.

Im thoroughly intrigued.

13. spludgey

spludgey Member

Should feed the world then. :D

14. Menthu_Rae

Menthu_Rae Member

Awesome. More info please. How to get started? I read the page on wikipedia about them, seem simple enough... but yeah where to get this algae from initially? :confused:

15. Goobers

Goobers Member

I meant like fish food. I remember hearing that some fish eat algae. these could probably be like schmako's for fish.

16. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Quan-Time

Love your chilli collection!

I have to ask, where did you source them? All locally.. im a big chilli fan and they are next on my list.

Im just planning my new veggie garden atm.

As i want to grow stuff to eat a lot more (especially the things i eat often).

not really sure where to start on sourcing chilli's tho, ive found all the nursery's ive been too so far a bit hit and miss.

Nethiuz likes this.
  17. Grizz_li

Grizz_li Member

Algae for bristlenose.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  18. forocious

forocious New Member

marimo

hey just really really curious as to whereu bought ur marimo/algae balls because ive been looking for months in aus and cant find them
    i even tried to get them sent from overseas but customs took it :(

would realy appreciate urhelp. please email me direct at
    taz_c7@hotmail.com if u know where to find them

19. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Got some Naga Vipers, Some Indian chillies, a purple mild one unsure name and Jalapenos growing, getting right into the chilli growing and being in the tropics it's awesome and low maintenance.
    Have some Carolina Reapers in the post to plant soon and will get into crossbreeding them see what i can make, looking forward to it!

Edit: Just ordered some pure white ghost chillies, some big jims and another large type of chilli and i think today i have been able to cross breed the Naga Vipers with an Indian Birdseye style, will wait to see if a fruit pops then plant the seeds.
    I never thought i'd care about gardening :lol:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    MUTMAN likes this.