Show us your knives!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Chunks, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Chunks

Chunks Member

In the spirit of "Show us your desktop".

There are a lot of people here passionate about their food. Often foodies develop a passion for their tools, especially if it's their trade. So let's see your investments. Anything from entry level Victorinox to a Yamatsuka Damascus, show 'em off :)

These are the two knives I use 90% of the time and my long serving F-Dick steel.

The large one is a 10" Messermeister Meridian Elite. This knife has done everything for me, lighter and more nimble than a Wusthof but made of softer steel. It needs to be sharpened atleast once a week where as those with Wusthofs can go longer. I bought this 18 months ago to replace my 12" pressed Victorinox.

And my new purchase of a Tojiro Flash Utility :). Until recently I used a 14cm Kyocera Ceramic Santoku for light duties. Unfortunately it suffered a bad chip on the cutting edge and had to be replaced. I was going to buy a Shun but a bit of knife education later and I made the better decision of buying a Tojiro.

So what have you bought and why?

Click to view full size!

I'm sure you guys can produce better photos than me.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. bester

bester Member

Crappy iPhone pic. Amatuer home cook, two knives I use (the rest aren't as fancy) are a Wusthof 6" cooks knife and a Global 4" straight paring knife. Reason for purchasing these brands/knives was just based on feel/requirements and feedback from others.

Click to view full size!

3. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

how badly chipped?
    if they're small enough they can be sharpened out of the edge.

EDIT: added crappy phone pic.

Click to view full size!

one of my favourites, though not my most used.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  4. OP
    OP
    Chunks

Chunks Member

That's the exact one I'm talking about. The chip was a decent 3 - 4 mm chunk.

I love ceramic knives and I might buy another one just for using at home.

5. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

did you find that it takes a bit to get used to such a light knife?

6. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Currently in temporary residence while my place is getting built. So not gonna get too many knives while here. Will eventually get myself a pairing knife and a cleaver too.

So the only thing I have here is my lovely new Shun 20cm Scalloped chef knife. :D Was tossing up between a few damascus knife. Shun, Ran, Kasumi, Tojiro and Miyabi. Couldn't find an australian shop (online or offline) that stocked the Miyabi. And the only knife I can try out at any shops in Perth are limited to Shun and Ran. Ran has a nicer design but felt a bit lighter than Shun. While I would've liked to audition the Tojiro as well, there were none around. So in the end I prefered the Shun to the Ran and got that off an internet store.

Also to go with it, I have an end grain bamboo chopping board, and a thinner end grain ironwood chopping board for fruits/veg/cheese (not in pic). Currently oiling both boards with mineral oil from ikea. The image in pic is the board before i oiled it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  7. OP
    OP
    Chunks

Chunks Member

Definitely. There were always some tasks that it was never going to be up to. I used it for fine slicing mainly.

8. OP
    OP
    Chunks

Chunks Member

Well I've been using my Tojiro for about a week now and it's brought about a ton of regret for not buying Japanese knives from the outset. My rationale for buying German knives in the past were weight and balance. Qualities they definitely have but..

Japanese knives are so hard! So unbelievably hard that they hold their edge for a ridiculous length of time. I've used my steel once over the last 7 days! Compared to several times a day with my Messermeister. They're extremely rigid also. My previous benchmark for rigidity was pretty much any Wusthof but my Tojiro has really set the bar.

There's definitely a place for a solid German knife, but the precision and ongoing sharpness of a Japanese knife is more rewarding and less fatiguing. Also the Tojiro brand compromises on the traditional Japanese knife with a heavier handle. Giving a solid, balanced feel other Japanese knives didn't give me.

I am converted! My advice to anyone starting out an apprenticeship is to buy two japanese knives and a 1000grit waterstone and leave it at that. 19/20 will swear by German steel but they are stuck in the past.

I'll be saving up for this now. Expensive but I have to have it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  9. tunagirll

tunagirll Member

I have a set of Shun knives; they need to go be resharpened as people keep leaving them in the water to wash :upset:

10. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Stab them a couple of times in non-fatal position to teach them a lesson! :thumbup: Dont worry, I'll back you up in court!! :D

11. OP
    OP
    Chunks

Chunks Member

I've been watching mine like a hawk, sometimes it'll get picked up by someone just trying to help and taken over to the pot washer. A few times now I've dropped whatever I'm doing and chased them down.

12. Yamunsa

Yamunsa Member

sorry for the poor quality photo but heres my role from the top:

wuesthof diamond dust steel
    zwilling ja henckels slicer
    global bread
    global large veg
    sabatier classic slicer
    global cooks
    global serrated
    global sml veg
    global lrg paring
    mundial peeling
    victoria knox utility

[​IMG]

13. scon

scon Member

Major thread necro but I just got the bottom two knives. They're all Misono UX10's there's a 24cm Gyotou, 18cm Santoku and a 15cm petty. They're Japanese blade profiles but with more German handles and weight, I like them a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  14. Spork!

Spork! Member

Got this for my b'day. Don't mind a bit of sashimi.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

what are people using for their knife storage? I was looking at those blocks with the sticks in them and you can put them in. Right now they're just wrapped in thick cardboard and put in the drawer and some are in the box they came with

16. Spork!

Spork! Member

My Shun is still stored in the presentation box it came in. My other set came in a wooden knife drawer and have lived in that the last 15 - 20 years.

17. darksilencer

darksilencer Member

From the top.

Nakiri - Vegetables
    Yanagiba - Only used for sashimi
    Deba - Cheap sub $20 I got for fun to practice sharpening single bevel
    Standard chefs knife for comparison as it is the daily
    [​IMG]

18. scon

scon Member

I use this knife block and love it. Means you can keep your knives out of the way in the drawer but still look after them. If I remember I'll take a pic when I get home.

19. 2SHY

2SHY Member

Knife cleaning video:

20. Baringa

Baringa Member

Jun has some really neat videos, I like his cooking channel a lot.

He and Rachel also have cute cats