Show us your knives!

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by Chunks, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kooksyau

kooksyau Member

I found the handle on Furi knives shit me to tears. Just plain uncomfortable to use. But as others have said, you really need to hold a knife to see if it suits. I use Global as part of my everyday tools. Not everyone finds them comfortable, but I can use them all day every day without any problems.

But if you don't want to spend a lot of money on knives, don't. The best knife to buy is the one you'll use. Fine if you want something fancy to sit on your benchtop for people to look at, but the knives I use most in my kitchen are a couple of $10 cleaver shaped pressed steel things that I bought at the local Asian grocery store. They don't hold an edge long but as the steel is so soft it takes one minute on a whetstone to bring it back. Sure, they're not precision cutting and slicing equipment but they do the job.

2. caspian

caspian Member

I don't like Furi or Global knives, the tapered handle is terrible from an ergonomic perspective. the Baccarat mini-santoku I have has the same problem, the handbrake dragged it home. >_<

I don't know how people can use cleavers for general purpose knife work. they have their place but they are a niche tool. a chef's knife has evolved to the state it has for a reason, it has most of the deep slicing ability of a fine cleaver, plus a fine tip, and most importantly the ability to rock. rocking santokus like this seem to be a very good balance, combine with a parer for fine work and you've got most of your cutting needs into two knives. as NSanity mentioned above, chuck in a bread knife/carver and you are good to go.

3. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

Furis also have rediculously soft steel. Not at all fond of them. Victorinoxes shit all over them as far as budget knives go. So do mundial.

connico likes this.
  4. Carni

Carni Member

I have a set of Baccarat Arashi's that I got as a gift. I'm no professional, so they suit me quite well.

5. caspian

caspian Member

I quite like Baccarat for a consumer grade knife. far prefer the rivetted micarta (?) handles to the silicone ones. I don't like the steel handles, but that's the same for any brand. the blade steel is a fair balance between keeping an edge and easy to touch up with a basic steel.

6. STINGA

STINGA Member

If anyone is interested Good Guys has a clearance on some Wusthof Gran Prix II knives.
    They have paring, filleting, boning, and bread knives for $69 ea which is 1/2 price or more than I xan find the knives anywhere else.

7. killedbycrimson

killedbycrimson Member