Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. s3kemo

s3kemo Member

Looks nice and neat. Can't really see what devices are in there. Does the cupboard get a bit warm when everything is on (probably all 24/7 devices) and the door is shut? Or is there ducting into the crawl space/aircon/other that has been added since the previous photos?

2. salamagd

salamagd Member

Thanks s3kemo! There's a bit of work to do with the cables but I'm waiting until I've patched the last few things in before I really go crazy with the cable ties. There's a bit of a mix of stuff in there - apart from the networking gear there's also some audio visual bits and pieces. From the top: Airport Extreme for Wifi and FritzBox 7390 for ADSL2+, routing and VoIP sitting on the top of the rack, then Cat 5e patching, two D-Link managed Gigabit switches (one with PoE for phones and door intercoms), APC UPS and Synology 5-bay 10TB NAS, Sonos zone amplifiers for distributed audio around the house, media sources (Blu-ray, HD-DVD, FTA PVR and Apple TV) as well as Ethernet to Infrared converters and the power amp and AV processor sitting under the rack.

It does get somewhat warm, because while most of the time the AV gear at the bottom is off, the networking stuff up the top stays on 24/7 - but not excessively so. It's hard to see in those photos but there are some fairly thick slots cut into the top and bottom of the cupboard door to hopefully allow some convection cooling through the rack... I'm keeping an eye on the temperatures in case I need to add some fans, but I'd rather not due to the noise. At this stage it seems to be working okay - most of the networking gear isn't too power-hungry so I'm hoping to be able to get away with it!

3. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

I forgot about this thread, maybe I need to get off me arse and look at getting my rack exposed...

4. buttnaked

buttnaked Member

With so many wires coming out of that hole, do you get any interference?

5. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Can I ask what phones and intercoms you're using? I've got a PoE switch and have been thinking about something similar.

Cheers,
    Mat.

6. salamagd

salamagd Member

I haven't noticed any issues yet - will be interesting to see what happens once more of the speakers are powered up at higher voltages in close proximity to the cat 5e.

Sure - I've got a few of the new Snom 760 handsets which work very well, as well as some older Linksys/Cisco SPA942 units. The door units were harder to find - there aren't many SIP door intercoms available - ended up going with the 2N Helios IP range, ordered from the US where they're a bit cheaper - but still overpriced. The cameras in the Helios IPs work great with the screens on the Snom 760 phones!

7. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Man, it's so hard to find Full HD IP video intercoms using PoE.

How much are the 2N range?

8. unmaskedgrunt

unmaskedgrunt Member

When you're too cheap to buy a rack,
    Go to Ikea and get a Lack,
    Then Bunnings to obtain some brack.....ets.

Click to view full size!

Seems quite sturdy, if I notice any flexing or wobbling I'll get some rods set up for reinforcement, but otherwise not bad for a $20 side table and $40 worth of brackets.

9. alch

alch Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  10. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

11. Umbrella Corp.

Umbrella Corp. Member

Cheap wooden shelving lol

I have recently acquired a nice half hight rack and was looking around for shelving to suite.

I couldn't find any decently priced shelves so I made my own :Paranoid:

Work in progress:

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a couple of IBM blades and a generic dual Xeon beast (File server) aiming for 16TB of space and some ESXi goodness on the blades to run backes and some torrent/file sharing at home. Will update soon with more pics. :thumbup:

12. Greg-Mega

Greg-Mega Member

Haha I did something similar a few years back but used some 45mm aluminium angle. Cost me about $45 in aluminium but it made about 8 sets, drilled some holes to bolt it in and all was good. Was strong enough to hold 2 half racks worth of HP DL585's (4U). I mainly did this because the racks didn't have standard cage nuts holes, the racks had round holes so the HP rail kits wouldn't fit.

Anyway, bought a new house last week and picked up this to go in yesterday which will hold:

2x Switches (one PoE switch),
    1x Modem & AP
    1x Dell Server for home office + Camera PVR (running Blue Iris)
    1x 2U UPS

Which will have it about half full, long term plan is to move my PC's guts into a rack mount case and as file server and just have the older (Xeon 3040) Dell server for home office.

It is floor standing, I just haven't put the casters & feet on it yet.

[​IMG]

More pics to come on Thursday when my data guy and I run cables.

13. yoda123

yoda123 Member

Hi guys, any ideas what to do here. The plasterer has pulled through the data cables way too close to the edge here, I want to mount the rack central in the space but doing so would expose the hole that has been made.

One option I have is to cut the hole bigger to the left and then patch it up and paint it, my home handyman skills are not so great though.

I was thinking maybe a wall plate which some flexible conduit can clip into. Does such a thing exist?

Click to view full size!

14. MrvNDMrtN

MrvNDMrtN Member

Its already terminated?

Not much else you can do if it is.

Just find something nice to make it neater like a large rubber grommet or something.

I've got something similar but i havent dressed it up yet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  15. yoda123

yoda123 Member

No nothing is terminated as of yet.

16. CQGLHyperion

CQGLHyperion Member

Square ducting isn't an option?

Even large diameter corrugated conduit?

Cable ladder if you can afford it?

17. davros123

davros123 Member

Agree. was thinking of hacking an ip cam into a intercom mounting...

18. Pugs

Pugs Member

19. Quoccus

Quoccus Member

20. Greg-Mega

Greg-Mega Member

Finally got my rack in my new place... still some gear missing but file server, UPS, wired network gear is in, and some cameras (including the one sitting on the server). Got another server, bit more wireless network gear and 4 more cameras still at my old place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should be out of the way where it is there under the stairs in the garage, will be interesting over summer to see how warm it gets in there the rear wall is a concrete retaining wall so that will either keep it cool or trap the heat!