Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. kesawi

kesawi Member

My newly installed 12RU wall mount hinged rack in the storeroom beneath our house.

[​IMG]

Next project is a server to fill up some of the space in the rack.

2. MeTaLliC

MeTaLliC Member

How deep is the rack and what make/model UPS are you using?

3. kesawi

kesawi Member

The rack is 540mm deep (it's meant to be 600mm deep according to the specs, but the store I purchased it from is attempting to get to the bottom of that with the manufacturer at the moment). The rack is a Serveredge CBN-12RU-66WM hinged wall mount cabinet (http://www.seltec.com.au/Product-Categories/Wall-Mount-Swing-Frame-Cabinets/Serveredge-12RU-600mm-Wide-600mm-Deep-Fully-Assembled-Swing-Frame-Hinged-Wall-Mount-Cabinet.html).

The UPS is a CyberPower Professional Rackmount PR1000ELCDRT2U (http://www.cpsww.com.au/Product/Product/GetProduct?id=21&mid=33). It's 388mm deep and there is just enough room at the rear of the rack for the power cables. It's bloody heavy (25.5kg) and either needs to rest on the bottom of the rack or be supported on rails (which cost around $140 including postage). I don't really trust the rackmount ears to support its full weight from the front only. It came with the network adapter card as part of the package (which is normally $130 extra) which I find handy for configuring and monitoring the UPS remotely. There are a number of configuration options listed in the Power Panel Business Edition user manual that aren't available for this UPS.

4. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting a cheap enclosed rack to fit under my desk. Things that will go in will be my UPS (2RU), two MicroServers possibly on a shelf to keep them off the UPS which gets quite warm (approx 6 RU :thumbdn:), maybe a shelf at the top for my modem etc, and maybe a pfSense appliance and a 1RU switch, that's about 11RU all up.

My desk is about 690mm high, accounting for the modesty, is just over 580mm deep, and the width doesn't matter.

The biggest problem I see is the depth, so unless I were to remove some of the modesty (maybe not recommended as it might hinder the structural properties of my desk :Paranoid:), 600mm will be about my depth limit, give or take 20mm or so.

I'm just worried that my UPS either might not fit, or that if it did, it may not have enough ventilation, it is 460mm deep.

I'm thinking maybe this 600x550mm unit or the 600x600mm variant.

But can anyone give me some pointers on these racks? For example, that's the door at the back supposed to be for?

I don't really have a decent pic of under my desk, I'll try and grab one at some point, though.

Cheers.

5. tin

tin Member

They're wall mountable, so the back "opens" so you can swing the entire rack away from the wall to access the backs of things installed in them. Not really that important if you're not wall mounting, especially since it also has removable sides.

Also, with your sizing, remember that there are cables to connect, etc. If your UPS is 460 deep without cables, 550 may not work that well with cables attached.

6. Draxx

Draxx Member

7. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

Ah, I figured so. With the cables, I can always get right-angled connects that only stick out about 10-20mm, then have a cable going up to the PDU and power cables from that as needed. I'm assuming you can mount PDUs in the back? I've not got much experience with racks so I wouldn't know.

Here's a few crappy photos from my room. The drawers can go, obviously. I hope it's not too hard to nut out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

8. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

9. kesawi

kesawi Member

I would not go for a 550mm deep rack if you have any intention of putting rack-mount server or NAS gear in it. You lose 70mm in the front of the rack for handles, cable management, etc, and around the same at the rear of the rack for cables and airflow. My rack is 540mm deep (although specs said it was meant to be 600mm) and I just have enough room at the back of my 390mm deep UPS. Most rack mount severs and NAS start at around 430-450mm so that extra 50mm of a 600mm deep rack makes a difference. There are short depth server cases available at 387mm but they are very tight inside and few in number. Synology and QNAP rackmount NAS units start at around 430mm deep. The PDU can mount on the back rails as it has in mine.

Alternatively you could knock up something with some timber under the desk an get some rack strips (http://www.proaudiostash.com.au/product/19-inch-rack-accessories/rack-strip/full-hole-rack-strip-1-5mm/2984.shtml).

10. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

11. davros123

davros123 Member

Hmmmm....I spies zip ties :Paranoid:

12. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

and if you don't pull on them tight, they have no effect on performance. Even if you do, they don't. ( I've tested cables with a fluke cable tester, and tested many sites with velcro and cable ties, haven't bothered with testing my home cables as i see no need and haven't bothered to bring the tester home yet, but when i can be bothered i can see if i can download and post the results )

I don't see why people get so hung up on cable ties, the only down side is scratching yourself on them.

13. davros123

davros123 Member

These guys seem to like zip ties :)

14. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

It's a pain in the arse to undo zip ties (yes, you can reuse them, but again - it's a pain in the arse), and you risk breaking the sheath if you tie them down too tightly.

Velcro ties are where it's at. Failing that, gaffer tape. :thumbup:

That said, I honestly don't see a huge problem in using zip ties, as long as you know you're not gonna touch that run again. If there are issues in using zip ties, please feel free to enlighten me/us - I'm curious to know.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  15. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

Gaffer tape? Wouldn't that be a right pain in the arse?
    Velco is good where you need to undo stuff. But your structured cabling is supposed to be permanent.
    And I've never bothered to resuse cable ties, but i can imagine how troublesome it would hold be.

If i ever come across a site where cable ties result in a loss in performance, i'll be sure to let you know.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

so you quickly learn to cut them properly, so you don't leave a sharp edge.
    :thumbup:

17. n2o_spark

n2o_spark Member

:thumbup:
    and wear long sleeves to installs that you didn't do ;)

18. trackhappy

trackhappy Member

People get gaffer tape confused with duct tape. Gaffer tape is used mainly by the live audio/video industry to fix cables to the floor and whatnot. It's designed to be easily removable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaffer_tape

19. kesawi

kesawi Member

My home rack with my new NAS and server:

[​IMG]

20. Lincoln_blitz

Lincoln_blitz Member

@ Kewasi

I am thinking about getting a similar cabinet. I notice from your pics that it appears the server is mounted flush against the wall on the right-hand side. Did you not make use of the swing hinge or can the cabinet open from the back?

My setup will be inside a hallway cupboard so I wont be able to use the swingout, however, I still want to get the swing unit because of the addtional depth of around 100mm.

Do you think there would be any issues hard mounting on a wall and not making use of the swing? Also how sturdy is the unit wall mounted. At 32kg empty I imagine it would need a fair bit of extra supports in the dry wall.