Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. McRutch

McRutch Member

a 19 inch rack is wide enough to be mounted on two studs, but even one is enough to hold it up..

i prefer to use thicker guage roofing screws with washers when putting up cabinets

2. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

One of these days, I will have to get my racks up on here....

3. kesawi

kesawi Member

The rack is mounted in an enclosed room underneath my house with exposed studwork. I didn’t have any of the tools to cut and fit new noggins to the studwork so I fixed a sheet of 12mm ply to the framing to transfer the load. Three of the screws on the right of the case in the picture are into a stud while the other three on the left are into the ply. The ply is screwed into the studs and also adhered with liquid nails. You can get 20kg load rated plasterboard screws, but personally I would always try to get at least line of screws in a stud.

The rear of my rack is fully enclosed and I can't access the back of it directly. I definitely make use of the swing hinge as it would be really difficult to get to the rear of my equipment otherwise, even with removable side panels. The rack depth is 540mm (including the hinges) and that is just barely enough to get the cables out of the front and back of my equipment. The maximum equipment depth I can use is 390mm, as I need around 75mm front and back. Most rack mount NAS start at 430mm, and most server cases at 540mm. 390 severely limited my equipment options (see my server build log).

If it is in a cupboard you could always just buy the vertical rails and knock up some framing using 4x2. The more depth and fewer restrictions you can give yourself, the better off you’ll be.

4. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

That will work well. Sounds like your on the money.
    The trick with any wall-mounted network cabinet is just that, they are a network cabinet, not for heavy servers.

5. davros123

davros123 Member

Network rack is done...

[​IMG]

now just need to concentrate on this.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  6. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

I've just bought a 550mm deep case (Norco RPC-450) and was planning on a 600mm deep rack, would this fit??

7. cvidler

cvidler Member

No. Gives you no room for cabling and airflow.

8. kesawi

kesawi Member

No it won't. As I mentioned in the text you quoted, you'll need around 50-70mm in front of the case for cables and the handles on your case (if you have a front door/panel), and then at least 70mm at the rear, which is just barely enough. 700mm deep would be the absolute bare minimum, with 800mm being preferable.

9. AFireInside

AFireInside Member

Damn, there goes my idea of wall mounted, already bought the case. Thanks!

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

plus having a wall mounted server is generally a bad idea anyways...

11. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

Why's that?

12. cvidler

cvidler Member

cause it'll be sticking out 800+mm from the wall? cause you can't get to the back? oh but you can get hinged racks you say? but they're made for patch panels and maybe a small switch, not 20+kg of server.

now ignore that if you've got a microserver, but then why have a rack?

13. CacTuar

CacTuar Member

It'll be sticking out 800mm even if it's not attached to the wall, and does it matter if you can't get to the back if you can still access the back through the front? If you're not needing to be in the rack all the time, I would think it might be beneficial to have it up high and out of the way, provided of course it's fixed properly to the structure of the building.

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

Weight mostly... Unless you are fastening to a brick/ cement wall it will pull the rack off the wall most likely at like 2am

15. kesawi

kesawi Member

I have around 40-50kg of equipment in my hinged rack (see my post above). While the rack is rated to 80kg it flexes enough so that the alignment pins don't align and I need to lift and push quite hard to get the rack to lock closed properly. If I'd spend an extra $100-$200 on a rack with larger wall thickness it may not have been an issue.

The benefit of having rear access to the back of the rack is that you don't have to work by feel or pull equipment out of the rack in order to see what you're doing.

16. matto20v

matto20v Member

Well this thread hasnt been updated for a while, how about them rack picks??

17. Copie

Copie Member

[​IMG]
    My fugly setup, it needs some serious love

matto20v likes this.
  18. brayway

brayway Member

My messy and rediculously oversized rack in the garage, and most of the cables haven't even been run in yet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Are you using a set colour scheme there?

20. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah colours correspond to each room they connect to, so I could trouble shoot easier.