Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah colours correspond to each room they connect to, so I could trouble shoot easier.

2. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Ahh righto. Always interested to see what people use - there doesn't appear to be any kind of standard. Mine's a mess at the moment but tried to run with colours for purposes.

3. Copie

Copie Member

Yeah mine is a red hot mess, the plan is once a sparky/cabler actually bothers to ring me back to get some network cabling done is to rebuild the rack.

Replace the 2xUPS towers with 2x1RU UPS, remove the rackables 3016, fit in my other 2 3RU SAS boxes, change out the shelving so it’s actually useful.

Will also fit the other PDU

4. Pugs

Pugs Member

Red for Important services, Green for data points, Yellow for Phone, Black for PoE

5. Copie

Copie Member

Interesting as I was going to go Red for POE, blue for media, black for PCs and yellow for HDMI over cat 6

Pugs likes this.
  6. cvidler

cvidler Member

just bought a new place, and I'm still moving in, but got the comms *cough* linen cupboard and server rack up and running, still no internet yet, running off of a 4G dongle. The rack shot is a in progress shot, there's two more servers to slide in the bottom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got two OM4 fibre links between the shed and house, only 1GE now, but will support 10GE when the house switch gets an upgrade.

7. brayway

brayway Member

Damn that white rack looks good, almost makes me want to get mine powder coated white!

8. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Haha, mine was red for incoming/DMZ, green for link between router and switch/WAP, yellow for PoE, blue for standard LAN, black for servers/raspi timecapsule, white for the HA kit, and purple intended to be for the VPN'd port on the router. Could probably be simpler but I had a bunch of different colours at the time so figured I'd use them. At the moment it's all over the shop as I'm moving some of the gear around inside the cupboard and the lengths are all fucky.

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

Good thing we can all be individual's and have our own colour systems... Otherwise racks would get boring...

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  10. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Tried to make it as tidy as I could, pretty happy overall.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pugs likes this.
  11. cvidler

cvidler Member

It's an old Compaq (remember them?) rack, I scored free from work when we were moving offices, they bought nice new APCC racks for the new office. I offered to take this one (and some other goodies, 8-port KVM switch, three 3KVA UPSs, some shelves etc.) to the tip.

12. Hive

Hive Member

New home has a separate network box in the garage. Downsizing from my rack on wheels..

Does everything i need, i7 NUC, Mikrotik 2011, Modem, NAS. Best of all, 24watts idle for the lot. Previously the rack drew ~200w

[​IMG]

Nobby6 likes this.
  13. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

i have a black one of those at one of the sites i look after.
    it's a real pain in the arse to get the side panels back on if you have need to remove them.

i much prefer my APC one with the side panels split into top half and bottom half.

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

Still a work in progress.... and yes my patch panel is really underutilized but I am just waiting for my housemates to plug their gear in...

My Kit:
    Linkbasic 9Ru swing back comms rack
    2x Clipsal 24 Port patch panels
    1x Linkbasic cable management

NBN cable modem
    UBNT USG
    TP-Link 24 Port switch
    TP-LINK 8 port PoE switch

2x UBNT Uni-fi LAC WAP's On the TP-LINK PoE switch
    2x Hickvision DS-2CD2185FWD Caneras On the TP-LINK PoE switch
    1x Dahuar VTO6000C Video intercom

TV Distro:
    1x Matchmaster 1 in - 10 out signal splitter
    15x F-TYPE to F-TYPE RG59 patch cables
    10x F-TYPE to Pal RG59 cables for TV's

Waiting on the following:
    1x 16 port F-Type patch panel
    A Passive PoE injector/ Splitter for the video intercom

TheWedgie do you like???
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. Copie

Copie Member

Tided up the rack over the weekend, did some cable management, added a thermostat controlled power point to control the rack fans. Also had another 14 data points installed for cameras/WAPs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pugs likes this.
  16. matto20v

matto20v Member

WHOA

You really like Pepsi, huh...

17. callan

callan Member

Nothing too impressive I'm afraid. Still at least it's relatively tidy and managable. I really should have gone for a 24 port managed switch, though: cheaped out. Easy enough to retrofit I suppose.
    (note I removed the smoky glass door for this photo)
    [​IMG]
    Synology NAS and UPS on top, patch panel, switch, POE injectors for WiFI access points, and Ubiquiti cloud key.
    The NBN modem is in the living room at the back, and the router/VoIP ATA is in the office up the front. (direct patched through the panels (green cable), doesn't go via the switch (for obvious reasons))

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  18. Pugs

Pugs Member

New housemates have arrived and are connected up.. still have a fair few empty ports... but it is better to have them than not have at all...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  19. Copie

Copie Member

pics r broken

fix
    now

20. Opticon

Opticon Member

Installed some new cabinets in the laundry and I was going to try and make some shelving I had a light-bulb moment while looking at the Ikea website for something else.

$14.99 for a metal document organizer with slide-out trays which gits everything quite well. Last night I cut a hole for a 120mm fan in the upper left corner and moved my unraid server in there as well. CPU sits around 38 idle with all disks spundown.

Cisco don't do SNMP temp monitoring for meraki's so I've got no idea how hot they actually are. So I'm looking at getting some cable probes or something to run from a RPI to keep an eye on them as well via Librenms.

I still need to install an antenna port for the HDHomeRun and move my phone port in there (extension cable through the roof to the living room right now)

[​IMG]