Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

[​IMG]
    Exhaust fan is up the top/left black fan, white mount - just one of the external vent grilles from Bunnings. you don't need heaps of airflow for cooling, just avoid stagnant air. Had to add the central support for the shelves, those 100AH of batteries are not light.

[​IMG]
    Rack is set up internally like a hot isle/cold isle DC. the front door it open mesh, the front is all sealed off at the front rails. leaving the front rail back as the hot side, the rear door, was open mesh, it's all taped up, leaving the two exhaust fans/ducts the only way out for hot air.

2. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

it's input is 12v but its output is 5 amps at 250v AC / 20amps at 16v AC, I wouldnt be trusting it, the UNregulated AC must be coming from just a transformer... in that tiny little thing?

if it was 12v in and 12v out i'd say go for it, at 5 bux what you got to lose, however i'd be passing, but thats me.

3. caspian

caspian Member

I thought that was more probably just the switching rating of the relay used, but I take the point. at the very least I'll find something better documented.

in any case, I have hit a snag in that there's nothing useful in the way of studs inside the wall where I wanted to mount the thing, so I need to rethink this one.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  4. cvidler

cvidler Member

there's no AC output, as caspian notes above, it's the contact ratings of the relay it switches.

note DC capacity will be less than AC capacity, as DC tends to arc more when switching damaging the contacts, but for a few hundred mA to run a PC fan, nothing to worry about.

5. mjunek

mjunek Member

We had this issue at a house I lived at with some mates about 13 years ago. Wanted to mount the TV on the wall. Studs were at 450mm centres (early 60s house) but behind where we wanted the TV was the stairwell, added in the late 90s. The centre stud was only 1m high, and didnt continue up the wall!

So what we did was bolt on a 1m x 40cm piece of 12mm MDF to the outer studs at 900mm wide) with 4 coach bolts per side. The TV bracket then bolted on this. Two of us lifted ourselves up on the bracket (150kg total weight) and it didnt come off.

So we were happy with that. Except our nerdy arms were wrecked!

That might be an option for you.

6. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

We've got our NAS + Switch + Modem inside. I did install a 120mm 240V fan on top, but I don't bother plugging it in due to it being too noisy. One day, I'll put a temp switch on it, so it turns on/off automatically but it seems OK without it. I've never really monitored the temps however.

Also, I'm not sure if there's enough air flow using a 12V fan compared to a 240V. The one we bought from 4 cabling had no power socket, so my dad connected it up for us.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  7. Nobby6

Nobby6 Member

Indeed, I see that with DIY'ers switch repairs often

8. caspian

caspian Member

I'm going to have to think about doing something like that. I really wanted to put it in the corner of the room and there's good studs on one side, but in the corner I've only got the width of a 35mm stud minus the thickness of the plasterboard to work with, so a mounting plate or rails seems like the go.

9. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

My rack lives in the garage these days, inside would be nice but it can get a little loud.

4TB USB for local replication from NAS
    QNAP TS-870 Pro | Cyberpower Pure Sine 1500W UPS
    Unused Dlink POE Gigabit Switch
    Cold Spare 4TB NAD Drive | Temp controller for rack fans | Unifi USG 3P | Telstra Cable Modem
    DLink 24 Port POE Gigabit Switch
    Unused TPLink 24 Port Gigabit Switch
    Lots of cables

Just about everything in the house is hard wired wherever possible, there is also a couple of Unifi Pro AC WAPs and a four HIKVision camera plugged in there too, hence the POE switch.

Sometimes I consider cleaning up the cabling and putting in a proper patch panel, but for now this is fine (and out of sight anyway).

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  10. mjunek

mjunek Member

Love the STC-100 temperature controller in the jiffy box. I did the exact same thing for a comms cupboard at work. Turns an extraction fan on once we go over 28*C in the room

th3_hawk likes this.
  11. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The family used to complain about the noise it made (mostly when it used to live inside when we didn't have a garage) so I added that. The other part is that they actually draw a surprising amount of power when they are on all the time.

Mine is set to turn on at 30*C and off once they drop below 22*C, in trial and error I found that was about the right range to stop them constantly cycling on/off every few minutes. Over the last four years I had never seen a temp warning on the server until this summer with some particularly hot days I got some warnings telling me the server was going to shut down if it got to xx*C which is never did. But with outside ambient over 40*C they were not happy temperatures even in the garage. That said everything in there is rated to run at a max ambient temp of 40*C to 45*C so while I'm pushing the extreme it's still (mostly) within spec. In any case, nothing has ever actually shut down due to temp and nothing has yet missed a beat. The drives are HGST NAS drives which have over 1606 days of power on hours which is almost 4 1/2 years of 24/7 operation or shade under 39,000 hours. They are rated with 1M Hours MTBF so hopefully I've still got a ways to go on them and given I'm currently at 90% capacity they will likely be upgraded (unless I delete some data) long before they fail *finger crossed* ;)

mjunek likes this.
  12. caspian

caspian Member

well after a day staring at the issue for a day, a wallmount is out. gonna have to do a floorstanding rack or shelves, in which case I'm not sure what use there is in spending the money on an enclosure. I think I'm just going to have to do a decently organised IT shelf. at least I can still get the cabling under control.

13. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

Can you user a rack frame?

https://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=Rack+FRame

14. Pugs

Pugs Member

or rack strips... for a more bespoke look

15. caspian

caspian Member

I may yet just put an enclosure on the shelf instead of wallmounting it. but since I have to have the shelf anyway, the main improvement would be in dust control.

16. wwwww

wwwww Member

[​IMG]

This is my rack.

I am still looking for sides for it.

It makes lots of noise and heat.

Nobby6 and bcann like this.
  17. bcann

bcann Member

I like people who take pride in their rack :)

That's a nice setup you got there.

wwwww likes this.
  18. s4mmy

s4mmy Member

What’s your power bill like?

19. power

power Member

I like to separate my servers otherwise yes you end up with a big hot bubble behind the rack.

20. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Is this a home setup? Wow.