Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I'll give it another go, probably around about the first time it fires up :p So I'll keep it installed and wait for summer temps to hit.

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

TheWedgie , arytel , either of you guys contact that bloke I sent you details for? Looks like he's pulled his gumtree add which is surprising.

3. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Yeah got some prices and details off him but was waiting for a mate to confirm what he wanted when I got a message from the seller that he’d pulled the ads.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Cool. He's got heaps of stock he needs to get rid of so surprised to see the message. Perhaps he's just creating another sale post. Or maybe he's sold all his stock to someone! : p

5. arytel

arytel Member

Didn't get a chance to call, Sunday got sick and work requires a COVID-19 test so I had to be isolated, as a just incase, until I got the results Thursday.
    I was also trying to confirm the size I needed, had a 7RU but was thinking a 15 RU would fit everything in. Need a 1 RU for 24 ports, 1 RU for a switch, 1 RU for a power strip, and about 5-6 RU for my server to float at the bottom. Not sure what NBN stuff I'll need in the future will fit.

I'll keep a look out for another ad, otherwise I might just give the number a call and see what he says.

6. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

7. Myst

Myst Member

Dang that's a lot of ethernet, I was so restrained only running 8 cables total in our current build, could easily run more but the minister for furnishings and war diverted the budget to blinds instead. Bonus more switches for me to buy though.

Seems I missed out on the good old days of being able to terminate your own cables, all these darn regulations.

millen likes this.
  8. scips

scips Member

Am I the only one that prefers cable management over arcs of right length customs?

Attached Files:

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I prefer the slightly cleaner neater look with nothing being hidden behind a cross bar. Pros and cons either way.

10. cvidler

cvidler Member

Cable management IS better, e.g. the purple cascade above means you could never install anything in the 2RU in between without having to remove most/all of those cables as they're blocking access.

as to whether it's important in many of these home use cases, that's up to the owner.

11. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Looks noice! Thanks for that suggestion!

The cascading cable above is my very first attempt at doing this. I also did the planning around the entire network. For a non-network and audio guy, great job done! Planning to purchase a much bigger home, and a bigger rack for that network. I'll definitely have more room improvement on my second round :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbup:

die_piggy likes this.
  12. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

ChinoPD only difference I would have considered would be putting the rear audio onto black wall plates to distinguish them

ChinoPD likes this.
  13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I have the rear ones on top corners on the side of the wall. Is that what you meant?

[​IMG]

Edit: The extra audio jacks you see at the wall port are wires leading to a second zone, a set of outdoor speakers flushed into the ceiling in my Alfresco

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  14. die_piggy

die_piggy Member

So behind my amp I have 6 jacks for fronts and centre on a white, and 4 jacks for rears on black. Just my way of distinguishing them from each other. Nothing wrong with what you have done

15. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Ah yes. Mine is hard to see but are color coordinated. I actually meant to print off some labels not just for what's what for further clarity but was also meant to do the same for my patch panel. I should complete the job actually, thanks for the motivation :thumbup:

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

@Gibbon I had a free $20 voucher to use at TGG so thought I'd buy the updated Heatermate. Going to see how the original goes when summer hits and see if I need to change the new version.

Gibbon likes this.
  17. birdie

birdie Member

IMG_4349.jpeg

This is my rack (12RU 450mm deep) in my brand new house :)

Still a work in progress, I'm considering de-casing the Telstra modem and mounting in a 1RU case, also considering getting a shelf for the Hue hub and the Merlin MyQ gateway.

18. cvidler

cvidler Member

no need to de-case the modem, just get a rack shelf, and stick it on top.

19. birdie

birdie Member

Its taller than 1RU annoyingly.

20. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You don't mind the look of the power rail at the front of the rack? I once had it there but shifted it to the back of the case to get rid of power bricks and cables, bit neater.