Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, ServerEdge have one of those too:
    https://www.myithub.com.au/rmf2ptk-serveredge-2-way-fan-kit-with-thermostat-1ru-rack-mountable/

A little cheaper, and it looks like it's from the same manufacturer?

There is a 4-fan version too:
    https://www.myithub.com.au/rmf4ptk-serveredge-4-way-fan-kit-with-thermostat-1ru-rack-mountable/

I nearly bought the 4 fan version for my rack, but I had 4 x 240V fans in the top already, and just needed a way to turn them on/off, hence the heatermate.

I suspect they work best if they're at the top of the rack, exhausting air out the top? Not sure.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    MR CHILLED likes this.
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I'm not sure, because if it's just internal and not really connecting to the outside then all they are doing is shuffling hot air around the case. Extracting air from the top of the case to the two case fan holes would probably be the way to go.

3. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, I guess the idea is probably to use them to help the air up through the case towards the top, where you either have vents or fans. Or to put them directly under a particularly hot zone to make sure there is at least some airflow there? Dunno.

4. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I would buy it just for the visual temp gauge :p So I'll probably get one eventually.

Gibbon likes this.
  5. pezzy

pezzy Member

i have no idea where youre suppose to put them as well. ive seen pics of them sitting at the top. i figured it was logical to put it at the bottom to help blow the heat out of the venting holes at the top of the rack *shrugs.

6. bym007

bym007 Member

I have been looking for one myself, but havent found the "one" yet.
    My requirements are:
    • simple/minimalist design,
    • large digits on display,
    • backlit, and finally,
    • not costing a planet.
    A nice to have feature would be some sort of IP connectivity to plot the results on Grafanna. Hope to find it one day :)

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Does such a beast exist? I fear you are asking for Champagne on a Passion Pop budget :p

I definitely like the of the IP connectivity, not overly useful for me personally but it sounds like a nice to have.

8. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

It looks like the shelf you have only has small slits in it to allow air to move through? If so a shelf with bigger holes might help. Are you able to replace the fans to quieter ones?

The USG is certainly a warm little bugger.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I figured when I do get one, which I will do eventually, is put it towards the top of the case and hopefully the holes roughly line up with the existing fan holes at the top of the case. Should work ok.

10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

STC-1000 + Jiffy Box works a treat or there is off the shelf solutions like this. As for temperature, if you don't already have a Raspberry Pi for PiHole, do that first, then add in a temperature sensor to that for your logging. (which might be a fun project for me!) Could even potentially be used to power things up/down as needed.... with smart switches you could even control the fans and not have the STC-1000 at all... although I'm thinking out loud here, I don't know how that works, but it should be basic home automation and/or IFTTT.

For me, my main issues are that the only things rack mounted are the switches, the Rasp Pi4, UPS, NAS, NBN Modem, USG3P, USB HDD, Acer SFF machine and STC-1000 are all just sitting on shelves.

An updated pic of my rack which could do with a good dusting and a few more cables tidied up after I've added changed things without sorting out the cables.

Click to view full size!

Every now and then I look around for rack mounting solutions but keep coming up short. I did find a 3D printed rack mount for the USG3P and a different one to mount Raspberry Pi's which I thought could be modified to create a mount that would cater to the Pi, USG3P and then maybe the STC-1000 and potentially space for another Pi too if space permits. This would neaten up a few things but still leaves the plenty of things on shelves.

I've even looked at a combo of shelves and blanking plates to construct my own solution, but it's just not come to be... Although I do have a look every now and then for people giving away racks in the hope I could pick one up and scavage the various bits and pieces I need to build a DIY solution.

As much as I would like to replace the NAS and UPS with rack mounted units, the same specced machines (even from the same company) tend to cost twice as much in their rack mount formats. I mean the CP1500PFCLCD ($249.95) vs the rack mounted offering int he same range OR1500PFCRT2U ($534.95) (prices are MSRP in USD).

But really, it lives in the garage, it works and not doing anything doesn't cost money or effort.. and most importantly I don't have to take anything down which keeps the wife and kids happy :p

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  11. Symon

Before I had the extra shelves in my rack I didn't have space for the USG, so I glued some rare earth magnets onto it and stuck it to one of the side panels. Did the same for the Telstra modem which is quite large but fits in between the side panel and the rack rails perfectly.

Look around secondhand for a rack mount UPS, I got my APC 1000kVA unit for $150. Unsurprisingly the batteries were shot but even after replacing them it was still a good deal.

12. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Not a bad idea using the side panels, although in my case... ermm rack... I don't really need to find more space, it's more about neatening things up, mostly because I can. A neat corporate looking install is the dream, the reality is that I would be spending lots of dollars with zero performance improvement other than aesthetics. I will keep looking around and maybe this is the justification I need to buy a 3D printer and learn a new skill :D

Magnets and electronics would concern me, you've had no issues with rare earth magnets so near electronics?

As for UPS, I've just replaced the batteries in mine as they would slump and just cut out after a couple of minutes but I did look around at the time to see if I could do just that with a second hand unit. But at the time there was nothing around that suited other than larger units which needed six or eight batteries which would have made it a far more expensive exercise.

13. Symon

No issues at all.

14. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

What's your concern here? I mean unless you're running something that spectacularly sensitive to very localised, relatively static, magnetic fields... which seems unlikely. I mean, I've worked on equipment where we needed to do active magnetic field cancellation, a) it was a pain, b) it was the sort of environment you arent going to find outside an ivory tower, and c) you're cancelling RF effects. not the effect of some dude with a slowly moving relatively tiny dipole magnet they're waving around

You could wave a neodymium magnet around next to your ram all day long and have no bits flip at all. you'd probably notice radiation effects first. It aint a CRT

15. cvidler

cvidler Member

even HDDs have big ass rare earth magnets built right in them.

unless said magnet is spinning around fast and close enough to induce a current in some adjoining wires, there's nothing that can happen.

or it's the size of a MRI machine so that it physically deforms things.

nothing to worry about.

it's even surprisingly difficult to ruin the mag stripe on a credit card these days.

16. pezzy

pezzy Member

the fans are 240v fans so no real options out there. ive disconnected one of them (hopefully thats ok circuit wise :O) and its a little quieter. still noisy af, but bearable. im looking for something similar but with 12v fans with no success.

by shelf, you mean the tray? then yeah, youre right. i can barely feel any air above it. im gonna try one more config. remove the tray and place all those items at the bottom of the rack. place the fan mount in the middle of the rack below the switch. if that doesnt do anything, then ill just move all those tray items outside the rack. im starting to realise what cvidler said earlier was right. nothing i do will do jack unless i ventilate the whole cupboard. doh.

if you mean the tiny slits on the top of the rack, theres also a space for a 120mm fan at the top which ive removed the cover for. its not much, but any hole is a good hole :p. i dont think i can place the fan mount up the top though. ive got the power strip at the back. made the rookie mistake of purchasing a recessed one so its sitting in reverse at the back. i might be able to place it at the bottom though upside down. if not, ill probably have to buy a normal one if i was to re-arrange the whole layout. but im pretty discouraged at the moment to spend any more money on this, and moving things around is a total pita.

17. treblid

treblid Member

Here's my ghetto rack. Removed the base, flipped it upside down, put it on a dolly, and now the racks in the linen closet and I can pull it out and work on things.

There's a second shelf at the back where I double taped 3x HD Home Runs. They are powered by 5V 100Mbps POE splitters. Cables are colour coded: blue cables goes outside the closet, yellow are for things within the rack, black is for remote console, red is for WAN.

Not much to look at but everything is more manageable now. And the plus side is I have freed up a lot of shelf space for more storage, and temperatures are better than what it was before.

Waiting to get a controllable PDU to finish this off..

Rack.jpg

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

pezzy are you able to quickly get me a measurement between the center of the two fans please?

19. Symon

The spec sheet for that unit says that it can be configured for 12V.

20. pezzy

pezzy Member

^im not sure about that. i cant remember seeing any 12v markings on the temperature controller. i have no knowledge of electronics so i wouldnt know how to re wire it for 12v fans even if it was possible :(.

do you want the space that is on the exterior or the interior mr chilled?