Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Just a quick rough measurement between the two centers of the fan vents on that temp/fan guage device, ta. If too much hassle all good : )

2. pezzy

pezzy Member

MR CHILLED likes this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

4. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

I've finally gotten around to buying a cabinet to tidy things up instead of having them sit on and under a Lack table. Well, they kinda still do really, but should stay free from dust a little longer.

• 12RU Wall mount Cabinet, that I won't be wall mounting.
    In the bottom we have:
    • CyberPower UPS. Keeps my comms running ~45-60mins. I shut down the Microserver in an extended outage.
    • Gen8 Microserver running XPEnology for my storage. Also running the Unifi Controller in Docker.
    • InkBird ITC-308 WiFi Thermostat which controls the 240v fan mounted to the top of the cabinet. It'll kick in @ 34 degrees and stop once it hits 32 degrees. I have a feeling it'll be running quite often in summer as the room gets quite warm. I only installed this yesterday so may need to tweak.
    In the top we have:
    • Telstra Modem in bridge mode.
    • Ubiquiti USG3
    • Ubiquiti 8 port POE switch
    • APC PDU with remote management (overkill but I had it so why not use it)
    • RaspberryPi running Cumulus for the weather station
    External we have:
    • On the floor my test lab server and its UPS
    • On the cabinet Oregon Scientific weather station
    • On the Wall Ubiquiti AP-AC-LR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

arytel likes this.
  6. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

MR CHILLED likes this.
  7. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Lol, I might still use it in some way.....depends on how this new purchase goes too ; )

Will report back with pics when I get everyone up and going.

Gibbon likes this.
  8. 303-Acid

303-Acid Member

You'd still want heatermate to vent hot air from the cabinet though wouldn't you? The fan tray would only move air in the cabinet. Both working together would be best, having the tray moving air from the middle to the top and the heatermate venting that air.

What temps do you guys have your vent fans kick in?

MR CHILLED likes this.
  9. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yeah, most likely, unless you're putting the fan tray right at the top, to vent out the top of the rack.
    I'd probably put it somewhere lower. More fans overall though. Not an issue if noise isn't too much of a concern I guess.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well the idea I have is that it sits at the top of the case with the fan slots of the 1RU fan controller in line with the fan slots on the top of the rack. And the fans will vent normally out of there. That's the idea anyways. If it's ok I'll still probably keep the heatermate in there in some capacity, they are an awesome little device.

I had 25C during winter which was fine because the case was sitting around 18-20C iirc. We had some hotter days recently so it tripped and I bumped it up to 30C. Then we had the occasional 29C day which tripped it and inside the rack was sitting around 32C. I can't bump the heatermate (version 1) up anymore than that so it currently will sit at 30C. I also purchased the updated heatermate which I think goes up to 35C although can't confirm this as yet, so that a possibility to use also. But first I'll see how the new 1RU fan controller goes.

EDIT; Yep Gibbon I wouldn't care so much if it weren't in the study.

Gibbon likes this.
  11. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I put my heatermate into my rack last weekend, set at 28C. I don't know if it's kicked in or not yet though (rack is in a room off the garage) ... definitely not the last couple of days, it's been too cold :)

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Won't be long before you're hiking that up to the max :p Summer is coming!

13. mjunek

mjunek Member

Do your best and silicone the rest! lol

The biggest pain of these (of which I've fixed a number of installs) is that they are crap for you're typical non-techies that have an all-in-one RSP provided router.
    NBN is terminated in to the box, as is all their network ports, so realistically, the only place the router can go, is in this box.
    Generally metal, and generally in the garage. So Wi-Fi signals are nerfed to the absolute bullshit, and you can forget about 5GHz wireless!

Then having to convince non-techies that they need a second wireless access point, because their coverage is shit (but what about the Optus box!?!) - and then you're tech support for life because it's no longer provider supported.

Pugs likes this.
  14. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

arytel likes this.
  15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Well all installed now. Put it as far up the top as I could in the 6RU, so it's not right over the top case holes but they do basically line up. Looks absolutely fantastic in the case, very happy. Setting of the activation temp was ok in the end when I found the manual.

Probably in the end only marginally quieter than the previous fan setup, but way way cooler.

20201007_170437.jpg

Just to be able to look up and instantly see the case temp is worth it. Thanks pezzy for the heads up on this device, sorry Gibbon going to have to retire the heatermate, it was good while it lasted!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    pezzy, Gibbon and arytel like this.
  16. mjunek

mjunek Member

Looks good there Chilled!
    That's an STC-1000 in a nice pretty rack case - I like it! Manuals should be plastered all over the web for the controller :)

MR CHILLED likes this.
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ah ok thanks. Yeah I did manage to find it in the end, just the box was labelled wrongly as the RFK1005 rather than the RFK1003 which had temp controller instructions with it. That STC-1000 is pretty basic but works a charm and looks great in the case.

18. mjunek

mjunek Member

Yeah they are a good piece of kit. Simple, yet very effective.
    I have one in my workshop monitoring the temps; it doesn't control anything at this point, but I did used to have it running an exhaust fan in the place.

19. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Hmmm, it does look good :D

MR CHILLED likes this.
  20. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I see that Scorptec have the 4 fan version .... tempting ;)
    (my rack is a fullsize 42U in a room off the garage, so would probably get the 4-fan version I guess)