Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah thinking about some sort of flexible conduit maybe.

Ah ok, so effectively you had the device sitting on the bottom of the case and venting upwards onto your devices?

2. pezzy

pezzy Member

that was the setup initially which i found didnt do much or anything at all. but i didnt have an exhaust fan at the top at that time so im not sure if that plays a vital role as well.

The fans are directing air flow upwards, so intake at the bottom and exhaust at the top. so it makes more sense to me that devices that need cooling should be placed below the fan case, so fans extracting heat then blowing it out on top. and perhaps the fan case acting as heat sink as well.

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I installed the new rack unit for the Pi and the USG today, removed the old redundant TPLink switch that wasn't being used and tidied up the cables (again). Power is now mostly run down one side and all the little bits and pieces are cable tied up/together where it works. The way the Pi mounts up is a lot more exposed than the case it was in, but then it's also mounted in a place where it will be fine. I've not gone with POE for the Pi as yet, so it still has it's own power adaptor, something I might look into one day too. I've added this little fan mount and I'll keep an eye on the temps, but it's the same fan (and heat sinks) that were being used in it's case.

I'm looking at 3D printing one rack ear mount for the STC-1000 Jiffy box to mount it up on one of the side rails, but it's not like I'm gaining any space by doing that at the moment... but I still might do it anyway since I have the printer just sitting there and I can :p In reality, it works just like it did before, I've not added space for anything new, all of this is because I can. I'm also realising yet again, that without the NAS and PC in there running power consumption is pretty good at only about 55W vs with everything running it's more like 200W+. It runs the IP camera recordings, network backups, Plex server and other stuff so it's still needed and I'm not really convinced there is a lower powered way to maintain everything short of a lot of very expensive SSDs.

Before and After:
    [​IMG] |
    Click to view full size!

Could still do with a good dusting :p

EDIT:

Bracket done, it doesn't quite have hold it square and rigid. I think it might be *just* too wide and heavy (not that there is a lot of weight in there). It doesn't look as much of an angle as it appears in the photo and it is secure. I think another bolt into the jiffy box would see it come good (I only used two).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Pugs, pezzy and 303-Acid like this.
  4. Opticon

Opticon Member

Is that sawdust?

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

You mean in front of the rack. No, that's just the concrete and weird lighting.

In the dust itself... probably. I've done work with wood in the garage (Arcade machine last Christmas). While it's away from when the rack is, I'm sure it travels.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I think I'll probably end up putting my Heatermate back in with the two extractor fans blowing out the top.....( calling Gibbon , I'll be back soon as your Heatermate, heh )

Gibbon likes this.
  7. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Heh, yeah, it's not as elegant, but I guess it gets the job done.
    If I got a fan module I'd probably it somewhere down the bottom of the rack to get air moving up, and use the fans in the top of the rack as well - but noise isn't too much of a worry for me. I wouldn't do that otherwise.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ok, going to try something else. I'll keep the fan in there but swapping out the original two case fans with these quieter Arctic fans which arrived this morning....

20201106_123914.jpg

Worth a shot to bring the Db's down!

pezzy and arytel like this.
  9. arytel

arytel Member

240v or 12v dc?

MR CHILLED likes this.
  10. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

12V DC :thumbup: Just gotta work out which are which wires.

11. arytel

arytel Member

Cheers, I thought about going to the 240V option since I have PID temperature controller I could use.
    Took me a while to get the case btw, he went to Victoria and got stuck there for over a month.
    But it's be changed over well, just need to get a bigger switch since the kiddies are starting to get devices as well.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  12. pezzy

pezzy Member

its worth every penny!

curse them 240v fans.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Ah ok, was going to ask about that. Super nice guy, would go back no hesitation.

Still has lots of stock I imagine.

14. brayway

brayway Member

Any tips for managing a network setup without a rack? Mine's a complete mess, and unless I can find a cheap 6-10U rack then it's probably going to stay that way.
    I have a 48U rack in my workshop, but no way to fit that at home :upset:

[​IMG]

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

If space permits you could buy something like the following and then tie all your devices in with zipties. There have been some previously examples in the thread I think. You don't have a lot of devices so I think would work pretty well.

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/p/omar-shelving-unit-galvanised-00167207/

Otherwise you could do what some other people have done here which is use some sort of chipboard/particle board and secure it to the wall and ziptie your devices to it. Obviously would need to do it in such a way that you still have access to the cubby hole you have there.

16. cvidler

cvidler Member

not much more you can do to that, cables already managed.

maybe build some little shelves to stack things on.

brayway likes this.
  17. brayway

brayway Member

Ah not a bad idea.
    I was considering some MDF/particle board and screwing things down to that.
    The cubby hole behind is actually more of the network equipment. It's where the ONT is stored, the satellite is split, as well as a small patch panel and where I have my Ubiquiti USG. It's also a mess...
    I was also thinking maybe a larger single power supply for all of the USB powered devices, that'd clear a few power adapters.
    [​IMG]

18. Opticon

Opticon Member

This paper organiser from IKEA worked well for me. AP has been moved out and got a NUC, drive etc for security sitting in there fine

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17773370/

pezzy likes this.
  19. brayway

brayway Member

Ooh that's not a bad idea either, thanks!

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

not much point having a rack if none of your gear is rack-mount, as you have to make something to hold everything anyway.

if you have a 3D-printer (or know someone how does), there's a multitude of thingiverse things for mounting multiple Pi's. that could certainly help with a lot of your gear.