1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Show us your Rack! ;)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by BOB_LORDOFEVIL, Sep 26, 2006.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

One bit of gear I have, I did add a little support stand to the back, not because of worry about the sag, but I needed the 1RU under it, for passing cables and a few non-rack mount devices, and I couldn't get my hand through.

bit of threaded rod, some nuts with large washers welded onto them, and it supports the rear down to the shelf below.

2. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

Ah kk thanks for the ideas.

Yep, I also don't want to loose 1RU, so it makes sense.

3. lavi

lavi Member

read this and got inspired

before and after

ordered aRB3011UiAS-RM so I can remove one shelf of crap, with an sfp vdsl it will remove eve more crap! the goal is to remove as much crap out of it as possible while adding more functionality.

there is a Mikrotik 5lte backup thing on the roof, 3 grandstream access points including an outdoor one and a bunch of grandstream camera's

Attached Files:

4. birdie

birdie Member

What is this aRB3011UiAS-RM you speak of? An interested in the SFP VDSL module, will that work with NBN FTTN? I'd love to get rid of my old Telstra modem which is purely running in bridge mode just to connect between the FTTN VDSL and my USG-Pro-4.

5. mjunek

mjunek Member

It's a MikroTik Router:
    https://mikrotik.com/product/RB3011UiAS-RM
    This particular one has 10x GBe ports, 1x SFP cage, and is rack mountable.

There is a Proscend VDSL module which has been widely used by the Mikrotik folk for NBN FTTN/B work, however some recent changes by NBN requires an updated firmware to be loaded on them. This firmware changes the mode to be compatible with NBN however it does disable some of the advanced VDSL features which provide good noise management as far as I understand it.
    I personally haven't used it, so can't comment directly on what it is, I've just seen chatter on the mailing lists in the last few months.

iodine likes this.
  6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Huge transformation, looks heaps neater and certainly more manageable when you go to add more devices, you can actually see what you're doing now. I never even started with a messy rack, was neat right from the start, thought I'd do it all at the beginning to save it annoying me every time I looked at it :p

7. Inc

Inc Member

Pugs and MR CHILLED like this.
  8. Pugs

Pugs Member

Not a fan of one colour schemes...

9. bym007

bym007 Member

I like how most of the OCAU racks have been sharpened to be cleaner and hopefully cooler as well.

10. Inc

Inc Member

As in cable colour? I hope to add some more colour coding as time goes on, but had to just get it in due to family working from home.

Pugs likes this.
  11. Pugs

Pugs Member

Fair enough

Yeah I have green for general LAN traffic, Red for WAN links, Black for POE, Yellow for Security/ intercoms

12. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Being so high up towards the ceiling I'm finding my rack stays pretty darn clean from dust so doesn't really need cleaning that much so far. Cooling is another issue though, still yet to work that one out given my previous solution of active cooling between certain temps seems to actually be heating the case rather than cooling as it's not properly venting out the top. A job I need to get onto soon, sigh.

13. bym007

bym007 Member

I tend to leave the front door open during hot summer, which is no good for dust!

I am struggling with cooling, even more as winter is on its way out in Melbourne.

I have multiple temp probes in my rack at the moment and I am actively monitoring the temps.
    She is getting hotter day by day. Pardon the pun.

14. davros123

davros123 Member

I'd go with first letter:

Green for General lan
    White for WAN
    Purple for POE
    S....oh crap!

Pugs likes this.
  15. bym007

bym007 Member

I dont think there is an established cabling color standard. I have seen tens if not hundreds of datacentres globally.
    Its a personal choice, and sometimes, what cable colors were available to the techs at the time of installation.

Generally speaking, I have noticed grey/black/blue for standard data ports, red/white for uplinks, red/yellow for WAPs, red/purple for cameras.
    Again, this is an observation and not from a standards book etc...

Having said that, I went with orange in my home rack, just coz orange looks cool :lol::lol:

Pugs likes this.
  16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've always been pretty happy with bog standard ethernet blue but obviously it makes it difficult to identify which is which in my rack. Might look at a few different colours for some of the more accessed cables.

17. mjunek

mjunek Member

Yeah colour standards are a whole different ball-game depending on where you go.

At one of my previous employers for DCs, it was:
    Black for OOB Management
    Blue for General Data
    Yellow for ESXi uplinks
    Red for Internet/WAN links
    Orange for DMZ
    Green for VoIP
    White for ISDN

At home, I have different coloured cables in the garage rack. The colours themselves are meaningless, but it helps when identifying a particular cable for a device on a switchport just by looking at it.
    In the house rack, where it is just patch panel to switch - all are short blue cables. In reality, all ports are equal at the physical layer, and patch X goes to switch port X. The port configuration on the switch determines if there's anything special, and nothing gets re-patched in the rack.
    If I pinch a port for something non-data (eg I am using one for C-Bus at the moment) then the corresponding port on the switch is disconnected.

Pugs and bym007 like this.
  18. Symon

Symon Castigat ridendo mores

At home I use -

- black for WAN
    - blue for LAN
    - yellow for IOT
    - white for CCTV/PoE

At work the general system seems to be -

- black for DMZ
    - blue for LAN
    - yellow for servers (don't unplug those!!)
    - orange for process control (you REALLY don't want to unplug those!!)
    - green for VOIP
    - red for crossovers
    - purple for utilities (UPS's, temp monitoring, etc)
    - white for security (CCTV, access control, etc)

19. mjunek

mjunek Member

Crossovers? Yikes. That's going back.

20. cvidler

cvidler Member

yep, gigabit with it's auto MDI/MDI-X has been around a long time, but there's still lots of much older gear around that may require a crossover.

I remember when some gear would have a physical switch on the port to switch it MDI/MDI-X that was luxury, no need to hastily make up a crossover cable.